Cabo Wabo Tequila

Funcouple

You can get Cabo Wabo tequila in Sams and Costco occaisionally. It is not bad tequila, but I think you are paying for the marketing. If you go on a Mexican Riviera cruise there is an excellent tequila and cigar bar in Puerto Vallarta. I think it's called Tequila Emporium. You can sample tequilas before you buy. If you are looking for a good tequila for margaritas, your average Cuervo / Suaza brand will do. If you want a good margarita you can get Hornitos. If you want good tequila for sipping, get any type of Reposado. If you want excellent tequila for sipping get an Anejo - usually these won't hurt going down, very smooth. The price goes up accordingly, and Cabo Wabo actually has these grades as well.

Greg

Thanks for the Tequila lesson, I was also planning on purchasing some Cabo Wabo for a souvineer for some of my "drinking" family, not being much of a drinker I am usually at loss as to what to buy.

So is there an Anjo Cabo Wabo that would be a good gift? Or can you recommend some "trendy" beverages from Mex. Riviera that would make good gifts?

I'm not huge tequila drinker but I do like Cabo Wabo. Around here you can pick up a bottle for $35-$40. Don't know what they sell it for at Cabo Wabo put in Costa Maya it was $70 a bottle, twice the cost of my corner liquor store at home.

Scott

While I was laying in the sun, my friend walked over to Cabo Wabo to pick up a t-shirt as a gift for someone. There was some good music coming from inside and she commented (too loudly, I guess) that the house band was really good. She then heard someone say "HOUSE BAND????". Out comes Sammy Hagar to see who said that. Other people were sitting around outside listening to sound check, so they knew what was up. They were all laughing. Sammy took her inside, played a request for her and gave her a souvenier bottle of Cabo Wabo. I'm not a tequila drinker, but people I know really like this stuff. I was regretting the fact that I didn't go with her, but then that probably never would have happened if I'd been there!

Wow, tons of interest here. Ok, need a few answers:

1. What is Reposado?

2. What is the significance of "Blue" Cabo Wabo Tequila?

PS: It was really cool to visit Redrocker.com and hear some of the rock'in Sammy Hagar Tunes -- I saw him at the JFK stadium (now demolished) in Philadelphia -- way, way before he joined Van Halen. "There's only one way to rock" was the song of the day. Great memories! Can you believe that he was one of the warm up bands for "Journey"? It was Journey, Sammy Hagar, Brian Adams, The Tubes, and some other band that I can't remember -- all in one day!

Whooa, what a day it was! I wish that I could relive some of that in Cabo -- Some day I suppose.

Hi

I am not by any means a tequila expert other than I drink it. I do not know the 'technical' meaning of reposado other than it is the most aged and a high quality tequila. Similar to any good alcohol there are categories and within the categories there are better brands.

I bought the blue bottle of cabo wabo in LA a few years back and paid $50USD. It isn't found everywhere and even less in Canada where I am from and I once saw it in a liquor store in Vancouver, also a few years ago, for $95 cdn. I drank it on my birthday one year and it did it's purpose and it was good tequila! The blue bottles are hand blown in mexico and apparently one of a kind.

I listened to an interview once with Sammy Hagar and he said you should always make sure sure tequila is 100% agave and his Cabo Wabo is blue agave. He went on to say that really good tequila (reposada) doesn't give you a drunk but you get more of a 'high' or euphoria (sp?) type of buzz. I can't say that was true but it was good. I'm not sure I would buy it again at that price.

If you are going on the mexican riviera cruise this is what I would suggest. When we were in Acapulco we got ourselves a cab. We spoke to the driver about where he would take us, this way we could make sure he spoke english really well. He was a great guide and we asked if he would take us to the grocery store to buy water and tequila on the way back and asked him if he could recommend a good brand. When we were out by the Acapulco Princess there was a costco across the street. We forgot our card on the ship (not thinking there would be one there). I asked if he ever shopped there and when he said 'yes' I asked if 'he' could take us in. There were many brands of Tequila, he told us the best one there was 'Don Julio' Reposado and made from 100% agave. It came in a short round bottle in a beige box with agave plants on it. It was $26usd at costco and at the pier shop it was $35. So costco was worth it. We offered to buy a bottle for the driver for a tip and for taking us to costco. He said he liked one that was $17 I can't remember the name but it came in a tall navy blue bottle - can't miss it. As a comparison, the Juan Cuevo Gold was $9.99usd. I've seen this Don Julio tequila at home for more than twice the price. I am still saving it for my birthday, but I'm sure it will be good!

Bring your 'Costco' card and hope this helps.

Well, as it turns out my wife paid $35 for the bottle of "blue" cabo wabo tequilla at the cabo wabo cantina. Obviously paid for the packaging and nostalgia.

Thanks for all of the input. I love the "Tequilla" website -- excellent info!

Archived