Megan's Bay, St. Thomas

What's the best way to get to Megan's Bay in St. Thomas? It doesn't have to be cheapest (cheapest isn't always best), but an affordable and "safe" way to get there w/o getting ripped off AND to know I'll be able to get BACK to the ship!

The last time I was in St Thomas, I just hopped into a taxi, there are plenty of them at the pier and they took us to Megan's Bay. Cost was $5 pp plus entrance into Megan's Bay. Was safe and would do it again in a heart beat. There are plenty of taxis at Megan's Bay for when you are ready to head back to the ship.

We've been there twice now & both times we took a taxi, (I should say van here as most taxi's there are vans.) You can get one right there at the ship & you can arrange a time for him to pick you back up, or there has always been other taxi's waiting out in the parking lot to take people back.

Karren

We were in St. John's this past Saturday on our AOS cruise. We took a taxi from the ship to Red Hook and caught the ferry to St. John's from there. I "think" the ferry cost $16 for me and my husband. Then we took a taxi to Trunk Bay. Beautiful beach! It's easy to do on your own, but keep track of time. Try to go early because the trip takes about 40 minutes from the ship to Truck Bay and you'll want to spend as much time there as you can.

Elf

Love, Love, LOVE Megan's Bay! I agree, the snorkeling isn't good. I did however learn to snorkle there. I'm terrified of having my head under the water, so that was a great place to try! I saw a lot of pretty fish. Small, goldfish size, but nice for my "virgin" experience. If you do decide to try it there...as you are facing the water, over on the right hand side are rocks and trees. Go over there. Lot's of fish and turtles hide out there.

Rent one of the foam floaties, wait for the cocktail lady/man to come out in the water and take your drink order. Life does NOT get better!

Hello all again.. this may be a silly question but do we need to bring our own beach towels from home to the beaches at every port, or can you get towels from the ship - We are sailing on the Serenade of the Sea. I am starting to pack and not sure..thanks so much

Have you heard about Godfrey's Tours, www.godfreytoursvi.com?

We just got back Saturday from our cruise and he had been highly recommended on these Boards. After taking his tour, we agree. His tours are one of the best bargains going!

He meets you at the pier in open air Safari buses. He understands how the ships work. We had visited Nassau first, so, we had to go through customs upon arrival in St Thomas. He understood this and is flexible about pick up times. He picks up people and shuttles them to town and goes back and picks up the next group ... no need to worry about being left behind.

His tours are 3 parts.

First, as mentioned, is a visit to town for shopping and exploring. This is generally until about noon. Since we did not get off the ship until about 11, he offered to take anyone who wanted to, back to town again at the end of the tour. Did I mention how flexible he is!!

Next, he takes you on a tour around the island, pointing out the highlights and historical sites and stopping at various locations. This is from about noon to 2PM.

Finally, he takes you to your choice of beaches. You can choose from Coki, Magan's Bay or Sapphire. Don't want to go to the beach? No problem, he'll take you back to town or the pier. Did I mention how flexible he is!

We chose Sapphire and loved it. It's beautiful and clean. The day we visited they we grilling burgers and hot dogs on the beach, but, closed down just after we got there, so we got snacks from the shop. They have bathrooms, fresh water showers (outdoors, I don't know about indoors) and you can buy drinks.

After all this they take you back to the pier (or town, as previously mentioned ... did I mention how flexible he is!) and you don't pay anything until he drops you off at the end! When was the last time someone would do all that for you and trust you to pay them at the very end. Try that the next time you go to a movie!

Total price for all this ... $20.00!!!!

Just visit his web site, send him an email and he will respond to any questions and/or confirm that he will hold a spot for you. He seems to adjust how many buses he provides by the number of reservations. The day we visited there were three different safari buses (each hold about 15-20 people, I think) with people from three different cruise ships.

Archived