Hal sent a letter to my TA to see if I'd change

cruisepal48

Did any of you get a call or letter. My TA called me today and offered me a 50% off to change my date of June 1st to another date and even to the Oosterdam. Well I was tempted at that discount but my MIL is going with us and we have our rooms across from each other and at this late date could they get us the same thing on another ship. Besides the Oosterdam goes to Hubbard Glacier and I want Glacier Bay. We booked almost a year ago so I said no. Too much hassle to change now with 3 days until the cruise.

It seems like the early season cruises sell out quickly. Question: were you driving to Seattle? I think they get a slice of any air arrangements they make.

We were bumped up to a suite and given $1000 back last June to sail two weeks later (on the O).

OK, so I may never book anything lower than a suite now...

...maybe THAT was their plan?

Did any of you get a call or letter. My TA called me today and offered me a 50% off to change my date of June 1st to another date and even to the Oosterdam. Well I was tempted at that discount but my MIL is going with us and we have our rooms across from each other and at this late date could they get us the same thing on another ship. Besides the Oosterdam goes to Hubbard Glacier and I want Glacier Bay. We booked almost a year ago so I said no. Too much hassle to change now with 3 days until the cruise.

I have heard of this happening. There are have been threads on this board about it. The other day my TA told me that she kept getting faxes from a cruiseline wanting her to get 3 of her clients to rebook for a different cruise. For some people it can work out. For others, it would be a big hassle. I know if they asked me for this cruise, it would be hard to change because we have a total of 5 in our group. Before I would take it, they would have to offer me a much better category. A veranda suite would be nice. :) They would also have to pick up any losses I would incur for changing flights. Since I am doing an independent land tour, I would likely lose a lot of money on reservations I have made, plus it could be a nightmare trying to reschedule all my lodgings and tours. I would have to say no this time.

Yes, I did consider it, but having my MIL with us and she was already packed. We rented a wheel chair and picked that up today. I really wanted the Glacier Bay cruise and DH wanted Sitka. I was tempted with that savings. My TA said that they would have given us the same category which was a balcony. My MIL had an inside room right across from us. At 89 she needs to be close to us. If it was just DH and I, I might have done it. My TA said we could sail on June 21 on the Oosterdam or the 29th on the Westerdam.

Question: were you driving to Seattle?

Yes, I'm driving to Seattle. I am only about 2 hrs from the pier. Also I have already booked my parking for June 1st. I wish they'd have given us a longer notice then 3 days. I maybe could have done it. I don't know how they think someone can change plans that quick.

Last year about this time, poster " Windycity " had a similar situation happen. I think the original plan was that she and her brother shared a balcony cabin near their parents. They ended up negotiating two suites and departed a day or so later.

Since you are driving, if you have any flexibility, you might want to consider asking for whatever it is that will help you to accommodate HAL.That you can give back two cabins probably gives you more leverage than the average bear.

Regardless, have a great time and come back and tell us all about it.

Archived