How rough is the Atlantic in April?

AnneBonney

We just returned from a transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Lisbon via the Azores. Our trip began on May 5, though, about a month later than yours. We experienced the calmest seas we have ever seen. The weather was gorgeous with highs around 74 degrees and sunny skies. What a pleasant surprise. We enjoyed it so much that we just booked the Eurodam crossing next April. Hope our luck holds out for that one.

I know you'll enjoy your cruise.

Hi,

We just did a transatlantic in March (3/15- 4/3). We were on the Off to Rome cruise from FLL to Rome. After the first day at Half Moon Cay, which was beautiful we were off to Maderia with 6 days at sea. The first 2-3 days were really rough. We had 15-20 ft swells and wind gust up to 60 MPH. Luckily, hubbie and I are not prone to sea sickness. But dishes were falling everywhere and we heard from our table mates that several folks substain injuries trying to get around.

A friend who did the same sailing a year earlier had smooth sailing the entire time.

We just reserved on the 16 day transatlantic cruise next April and I was just wondering, anyone who's done a transatlantic cruise -- what's the Atlantic like at that time of year?

Thanks

There's no "correct" answer to this question. I've done 5 or 6 spring (March-April) TAs and have experienced everything from dead calm to 30-foot seas. Most recent was 3/15-4/2/08 Ft. Lauderdale-Rome on Zuiderdam, where we had everything from dead calm to a swells that caused ship to roll a bit.

I've just, belatedly, submitted a review of this TA, so it should show up on the CC Member Review pages in a couple of days.

We just returned from a transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Lisbon via the Azores. Our trip began on May 5, though, about a month later than yours. We experienced the calmest seas we have ever seen. The weather was gorgeous with highs around 74 degrees and sunny skies. What a pleasant surprise. We enjoyed it so much that we just booked the Eurodam crossing next April. Hope our luck holds out for that one.

I know you'll enjoy your cruise.

Hi,

Please come over and join our roll call for the April 25th 2009 Eurodam crossing.

GN

We did a transAtlantic on Oceania's little Regatta, this past March/April, Miami to Barcelona, and it was relatively smooth.

We've been "out there" when it has been pretty rough also.

No guarantees on weather and sea state, which makes travel an adventure, as it should be.

Thanks for all your replies. And actually I go the answer I wanted, which was that it's pretty much like sailing the Caribbean (the only other place I've cruised) in that it can vary. I was worried that it was always rough seas and 20-30 foot swells because it was Spring. We're very excited about this trip (me, hubby and our two daughters who will be 6 & 11 at cruise time). I think it will be a great experience.

I've just, belatedly, submitted a review of this TA, so it should show up on the CC Member Review pages in a couple of days.

It's been published. Link is http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=42559

Sterling36 - Interesting how perceptions can vary from person to person. I was on the Zuiderdam TA with you and it didn't seem that rough to me, but it obviously was if some people were hurt. Perhaps I'm influenced by having been around small boats a lot and also having done a couple of crossings, many years ago, on navy transports.

Bob

We have done spring trans-atlantics the last two years. We did Tampa to Venice on 4/01/07 and it was like glass the whole way. We had warm enough weather that you could sit out every day. The weather on the continent was beautiful late spring weather when we arrived.

This year we did the Zuiderdam on 3/15/07 and it was a very different story. We had a few warm sunny days after we left Ft. Lauderdale. The Captain said we were taking a more southerly course to avoid a low pressure system near Bermuda. Once we finally started to head North to the Azores, we encountered a totally different sea state. The sea sick bags came out and noticed that a bowl of crackers was out at the front desk. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I think we had 20-25 feet waves and Beaufort of either 8 or 9. The wind was extremely strong and for several days the exterior of the ship was closed. And the water was drained from the pools. I really didn't hear anyone complain about it and I didn't notice a particularly decline in the numbers of diners. The weather got cool and was around 60 or less the rest of the cruise. We even encountered snow in London after we disembarked.

So you just never know. And it's all fun. The ships are built to handle seas and the crews are professional. I enjoy it all and I think most cruisers do. Have a great time!

Archived