Extra time between flight and boarding ship

LunaSmiles

In order to save money, I will probably book an early flight into Long Beach, it arrives at 8:45AM. The midday flight is a little over $30 more per person. Any suggestions on what to do until we can board the ship - Monarch of the Seas? This will a Friday in mid July.

I would definitely not book the later flight. Even though you will be close to the port, there may be heavy traffic, etc. Once you get to San Pedro, you can see if you can drop off your luggage at the pier. If you don't mind walking, you can hike over to Ports O'Call and hang there for a while (take the shuttle at the berth which lets you out down in the parking lot to save some steps).

My real advice is to always fly in at least the day before. You never know when there are mechanical, weather, labor, financial problems that can delay your flight. The only time we don't fly in the day before, is when we're driving the 50 miles to San Pedro. And even then, we leave by 10am or so.

If you're into nautical stuff, the Maritime Museum and separate USS Lane Victory are adjacent to the cruise port. Lane Victory is a restored WW2 Liberty Ship.

I agree that you should take the earlier flight if not a flight the day before. There may be a little "hangover" morning freeway congestion but nothing too serious by the time you get out of the airport. LGB is small, fast, and easy to use.

I agree. You won't have much time once you get your luggage, get transportation, etc.

If you don't mind paying the cab fare, you could go to the Aquarium in Long Beach. They will let you store your luggage there. Then take a cab to San Pedro around 1:30. You miss most of the mob getting on the ship that way.

Alternatively, take your cab or shuttle to the cruise ship pier, check your luggage, and then walk across the parking lot to the old restored Red Car trolley (light rail). Take this the mile or so that it goes to the Maritime Museum (see above). I don't recommend Port's 'o Call much as it has seen better days, but the Maritime Museum is wonderful. You can take the trolley back again about 1:30 and then board the ship.

Archived