Camp Carnival and Special Needs Children

NKG6002

We have an adult son who is Autistic (as well as other developmental disorders) --- He turned 30 on our last cruise earlier this month. I have taken him to Camp Carnival on each of our cruises - just to introduce him to the staff and to let him have a little "melt down" time (when we let him spin, rock, etc.)... I would never expect to leave him with the staff - but they have always been wonderful in trying to introduce him to the different toys and stimuli that they have in the centers - and have allowed us to sign toys and activities out for him.

On our last cruise - he participated in the Build a Bear workshop and on previous cruises -- has participated in some of the other activites.

A lot would depend on how many other children were in attendance as well. On the cruise that we just took -- there were very few children (maybe 3-5 in the 2-5 year old group and perhaps 10 in the 6-9year old group) and there were probably 5-7 staff (I spent some time in the playroom during the family time for parents with children under 2).

The other thing that we noticed is that the room stewards have been great when our son has had his melt downs (usually happen while we are preparing for meals - or heading to the dining room). They quickly learn what assistance we need.

Hope this helps a little

Tracey

Archived