Using FF Miles for Upgrades

Dode

Hi Everyone, Can any of you tell me about your experiences with using frequent flier miles for upgrades to first class. I would most likely be traveling on Saturdays or Sundays. I'm pondering getting a Continental Credit card and putting all my charges and all my husband's business expenses on it. Wanted to get info from all you fine folks before I proceed. Thanks for your help! You guys are great!

Dode

Century 3/98

Ecstasy 6/99

Explorer 2/02

Voyager 2/04

Dode...

We have used FF miles for upgrades to First Class from Newark to San Juan...we booked airfare for our upcoming November cruise and used them again...since the flight to SJU is almost 4 hours, it's worth it to us. We don't use them on the shorter flights to Florida and I think they may have restrictions on upgrades within the 48 states....also, this is with Continental and I transfer my American Express rewards over for points (miles).

Nordic Empress..*****11/04

Radiance of the Seas****3/04

Serenade of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas

Century (Celebrity)

Song of America

Monarch of the Seas

We always buy our tickets and then use our FF miles to upgrade to first class on flights that are longer than 3 hours. It's easier to find a flight that way rather than depending on FF miles for your entire ticket - usually they have a very limited # of FF seats on any given flight. Never have had a problem upgrading this way.

I put everything on our credit card for the air miles. 4/19 We are flying to Miami from Seattle round trip first class for $50. Most planes have limited seats for using your air miles so book out as far as possible. Be sure to read up on your card. They can make you jump through hoops but the payoff is worth it.

Rick R.

I upgraded to Business class on our AA NYC to SJU flight. Taking the AOS on 4/18/2004. Try to upgrade far in advance. I took too long to decide to do it and was only able to upgrade on the SJU to NYC flight. Seats are very limited. Also make sure you have purchased a full fare ticket, if you have a special fare, you would require more miles inorder to upgrade.

I upgraded to first class going to Las Vegas using my USAir FF miles. Very easy to do and I think you can do it online now. I agree with above poster - buy your ticket and then upgrade.

Navigator of the Seas 2-28-04

Norwegian Sea 2003

Carnival Jubilee 2002

Carnival Destiny 2001

Carnival Imagination 2000

Carnival Fascination 1998

Archived