getting from Newark airport to JFK airport?

Make sure everyone takes a bathroom break before boarding any vehicle heading to JFK unless, of course, a bus with a facility in the rear. I don't understand why NY won't add a few more lanes to the beltway to JFK. I refuse to book any flight out of that airport because of the traffic congestion.

John L

I hadn't even thought about that...ughhh...and I'm usually worse than my kids about that. :p

Depending on the time of day it could be an hour ++ to Jfk. No there is no airport to airport shuttles that I know of. Your best bet might be to rent a van though I am not sure how comfortable you would be in NY traffic. A limo though expensive might be your best best. Have you already made the reservations? If not you should just try to fly directly to JFK.

I thought I read someplace that there is a train that goes between them too.

I thought I read someplace that there is a train that goes between them too.

There are trains, but nothing direct. Here is the link but sounds way too complicated for an unfamiliar stressed-out traveler. http://www.panynj.gov/Airtrain/tojfk_newark.html

But, google "transfers Newark JFK" or similar words and you will get lots of companies that offer airport transfers. Try this one. Only $24 each way. http://www.goairporter.com/

Good luck

Personally, I'd say no ... my rationale is a little weird, but here goes:

Flying into the NYC area (mind you, I don't know your flight time) can result in delays due to air traffic (or weather or a host of other things). . . . .

You are so right. I was so focused on how much time I will have once I arrive at JFK, that I totally forgot how much can go wrong before I even get there! Also, just learned that I will be checking in for the intl flight at JFK. I am an experienced domestic flyer, but not intl, so just "assumed" I would check in at my orignal departure. So, that will also take time. The irony is that if it had been an option, I would have actually chosen to fly into Newark in order to see the family and I would then be the one worrying about getting to JFK! Probably lucky for me it worked out the way it did

One of the strangest things about NYC is that access to JFK has always been poor and difficult. I grew up in this area, left for 20 years and came back--and it was no better--even worse. In the late 70's there was a subway that ran out to JFK, but with a special add-on fee. I took it once to meet friends there on their way to Chile. As far as I know, that service was shut down years ago--with nothing to replace it.

PATH tubes run from Penn Station in Manhattan out here to NJ's Newark Airport. The Flushing IRT runs to Shea Stadium and LaGuardia Airport. But no subway trains run to JFK, as far as I know.

Washington, DC's Dulles Airport is just as bad...they STILL haven't finished the rail to DC as far as I know. Actually, Dulles is all-around one of the worst-designed airports I've been to. Reagan (formerly Washington National) is far easier to use.

Archived