Desperate for Advice-Non Ship Excursions

drdaddy

Hi all. We will be doing Western Caribbean in October and I really need some input from y'all about private excursions for the following ports.

Grand Cayman - I know. Capt. Marvin's IS the best but they only seem to go to Stingray City and I have been there already.

Belize

Roatan

Cozumel - I really want to snorkel Palancar Reef. Carnival does not seem to have an excursion for this. I might consider the ship's trip otherwise. I did Dzul Ha last visit. I need more than that!

I go cruising for many reasons but snorkeling is probably the number 1 reason! I prefer going without the ship's choices for many reasons which I am sure you all have the same reasons.

Thanks for some input.

• 2 weeks later...

We stay in Grand Cayman every year and we dive and snorkel. The reefs in GC are so close to shore, that there is no need to take an excursion to snorkel there. There are so many great beaches you can snorkel off of right from shore. Some of the best snorkeling we have done in GC was under docks and within 30 yeards of shore. Check our tripadvisor forums for suggestions, but some are: Smith Cove, Cemetary Beach, Edens Cove. All are either walking distance or a short cab ride from the docs.

Can't help you on Belize or Roatan, but in Cozumel, we did some fun snorkeling off of the beach at Chakanaab. Again, tripadvisor forums might give good suggestions.

Cozumel - I really want to snorkel Palancar Reef.

Well, you could just take a taxi to Playa Palancar and do a snorkel trip from there. They have an on-site dive operator that takes divers and snorkelers to the near by Palancar Reef. Taxi cost about $20 each way for up to four people. Snorkel trip is about $35 per person.

Capt Marvin has a three stop tour: Coral Gardens,The Barrier Reef and Stingray City. Dam' near all the boats go to the latter. Capt Marvin is a first class operator:

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

Click on Snorkel Trips.

Went with Anthony's Key Resort at Roatan. Excellent boats, snorkel guides and the reefs are world class.

http://www.anthonyskey.com/en/index.html

For convenience, I went with ship's snorkel trips both times at Belize.

It's a tender port and the boat picked up at the ship. First trip went to Goff's Cay, second time Rendezvous Cay, Both Cay's are surrounded by reef. Slight preference for Rendezvous.

Archived