Ship at Sea Days

GAMOM4

I love sea days. I think I might be quite content on a 7-night cruise to nowhere. Others cruise for the food or the ports or the opportunity to dress up. Me? I cruise because I love standing on deck and seeing nothing around me but blue skies and blue ocean (the occasional island in the background is nice too). Maybe I would get restless if I wasn't able to get off the ship once in a while, but I would definitely welcome the opportuntity to find out. :cool:

love sea days. we have done 3 transatlantics in a row 05, 06, 07 and we are doing the freedom from rome in Nov. TEN sea days!!!!!!!!! by the way, the prices are about 60% of regular europe prices and on one we sailed with 1700 pax so there were no lines for food, shows, or getting off in the ports we did stop at.

Oh if we only could get that much time off of work. I am so envious. Oh well you always need to have a dream. Transatlantic will have to be mine.

One day at sea on any cruise is one too many for me. I like cruising for the different ports of call. I guess I find being on board a little boring and rather be out exploring a port or enjoying my day out on a beautiful sandy beach. The more ports of calls the better. :)

Caroline

Huh?? Have you ever considered land based vacations? Sounds like cruising is not for you..

Huh?? Have you ever considered land based vacations? Sounds like cruising is not for you..

90% of my vacations are land based. But I thought I would give cruising a try because the thought of visiting different ports of call was very intriguing. And it's been great. I have enjoyed both cruises I have been on however the time on board during sea days is probably my least favourite. I would take a new port of call if I had the option. I wouldn't say that cruising isn't for me. The OP was asking about preference of sea days. :)

Caroline

90% of my vacations are land based. But I thought I would give cruising a try because the thought of visiting different ports of call was very intriguing. And it's been great. I have enjoyed both cruises I have been on however the time on board during sea days is probably my least favourite. I would take a new port of call if I had the option. I wouldn't say that cruising isn't for me. The OP was asking about preference of sea days. :)

Caroline

Sounds like you need to bump your percentage to 100% for land based vacations. Cruising is about......surprise...cruising!!

I know that cruising is about cruising. I thought I explained what cruising means to me.

You tried to, but it didn't compute. Basically you said that you didn't like being at sea (cruising), but that you preferred being in port (land based vacations). Did I miss anything?

I know that cruising is about cruising. I thought I explained what cruising means to me.

I think I get it. You like to cruise and prefer port intensive itineraries. The cruise ship is more your transportation and less your destination. I'm just the opposite. The ship is my destination.

We both enjoy cruising for different reasons.

Please help me out, what did I miss?

Hope no one minds if I step in...

They like cruisses that are port intensive. They like to visit different cities on the same vacation. They choose to do this the economical way - which is cruising. Most land based vacations would have you staying at one destination for longer than a day or 2 - would be expensive to get from one to another without the ship... This is why this individual likes cruising. There are options for cruises, port intesive vs sea days intensive are both options.

123traveler expressed his/her opinion to the thread.

hopefully you understand now ;)

Caroline

I 100% get what you are saying :) I love that with a cruise I can visit many places on one vacation, and don't have to do any of the work to get from place to place. Just get on and off the ship! And with a lot of the ports, when would you ever go there for a vacation, other than on a cruise?

Please help me out, what did I miss?

Sure. I think the misunderstanding may stem from the fact that you may have may misinterperated my original post. I never stated that I don't like being at sea but rather that if I had the choice I would prefer the opportunity to visit a different port of call. I do enjoy sea days. Relaxing on a deck taking in some sun and looking at nothing but ocean. But there is only so long that I can do that for. I don't enjoy participating in trivia, or watching the hairy chest contest and I can't eat 10 times a day. :) So if it wasn't a day sea then maybe I would be snorkelling in Cozumel, Zip Lining in Belize or perhaps relaxing and lying on a beautiful sand beach in the Bahamas where I could swim in the ocean and not in a pool. This is why I would prefer a port of call over a sea day in my itinerary. To be able to participate in various activites, whatever they may be, in different port of calls in one vacation is in my opinion the best thing about cruising. But this doesn't mean that I don't enjoy being at sea. I get to enjoy that every evening as we sail away. :) Hope this helps.

Sure. I think the misunderstanding may stem from the fact that you may have may misinterperated my original post. I never stated that I don't like being at sea but rather that if I had the choice I would prefer the opportunity to visit a different port of call. I do enjoy sea days. Relaxing on a deck taking in some sun and looking at nothing but ocean. But there is only so long that I can do that for. I don't enjoy participating in trivia, or watching the hairy chest contest and I can't eat 10 times a day. :) So if it wasn't a day sea then maybe I would be snorkelling in Cozumel, Zip Lining in Belize or perhaps relaxing and lying on a beautiful sand beach in the Bahamas where I could swim in the ocean and not in a pool. This is why I would prefer a port of call over a sea day in my itinerary. To be able to participate in various activites, whatever they may be, in different port of calls in one vacation is in my opinion the best thing about cruising. But this doesn't mean that I don't enjoy being at sea. I get to enjoy that every evening as we sail away. :) Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks I get it now..

Love sea days - altho I do like visiting new and exotic places. I want to 'want' to get off the ship and so far that has not happened. I am dying to do a transatlantic and wondering if that will 'cure' me - 6 days crossing the ocean - problem is I might love it and still not want to get off!

My worst 'sea day' is that last one - when you are still cruising but it's packing day and you know the next morning you are getting off the ship - so depressing.

On my upcoming cruise we actually have a port (Freeport) before arriving home - wondering if that will be better as I may be more distracted (or will I be worrying about getting back in time to pack!) - never enuf days for me!

My husband and I love sea days when the break up the port days. We also love a sea day on the first day. That is "No Rules" day. We sleep when we want, eat when we want, stay in the room and watch a movie. My only request is that we have dinner in the dining room. It is the pefect way to start the relaxation.

I was just wondering am I one of the only ones that like the ship at sea days much more than being in any port? I read alot about how much people like the ports and excursions - but other than Key West - which I wish we could have stayed longer at - but I sure don't want to drive down there and pay for a room (that cost more than a cruise!) I really prefer just being out to sea. What about you?

I agree with you completely 100%!! :D I love the colour of the water, the wind, the waves, and the motion of the ship. In my opinion, there is nothing like or better than being on a ship at sea. :D Sure, there are some ports I really enjoy visiting like St. Maarten in the east and Cozumel in the west but if the hsip just stayed at sea for 7 days, I would be in heaven!! :D I think that's one of the reasons why I would like to do a Transatlantic - 6 sea days in a row!! :D On my 17 day Panama Canal cruise on the Sun Princess, we had a total of 9 sea days many of which were at least 2 in a row!! :D

I will say it one more time (just for good measure): There is absolutly nothing like being on a ship at sea!! :D

Mind you, I do enjoy the days on land. (Different cultures et al). But, I usually book a 7 day with more sea days.

Besides, can we not experience different cultures on the ship itself? On one of our cruises, the Maitre'D announced that there were over fifty nationalities represented on the restaurant staff alone. On sea days, they are not as rushed and actually have time for brief conversations. Most are willing to give you some little-known facts about their home country.

Archived