20 and 30-somethings - your Transatlantic experiences?

jenscruise

Hi all -

To preface, I don't mean this thread in a negative or ageist sense whatsoever.

However, most of the Transatlatic reviews I have read reflect that the average passenger age tends to be a bit older (and less diverse) than on other sailings, mostly due to the length of the cruises. As a result, I have seen a few comments in said reviews about "the ship is dead after 8:00" and "the nightclub had no-one in it", etc. :rolleyes:

So, has anyone in their 20's or 30's had this same sort of experience on a Transatlantic sailing? The reason I ask is I've got my eye on the Liberty Western TA sailing in November, 2009, but I don't want a 16-day voyage with no "nightlife" after 8:00.

DH and I will be 29 by November '09, and we want one last "great" cruise experience before starting a family.

Thanks for your opinions! :o

First you need to recognize that a 16 day does not meet most peoples vacation schedule and/or lifestyle and it likely will not be a full ship. That being said you can expect an older crowd. While it is possible there will be some people joining cruise at ports to continue sailing it won't be a large amount that would change the demographics. I would expect many retired and older people. You may also have a quite a few Europeans...2 week holidays are the norm for many Europeans so this may keep night life going...but a younger American crowd is very doubtful. If you have the ability of taking 2 weeks off for cruising...you should also explore back to back cruises out of FL..Eastern itinerary 1 week and western the next. This will give you a better chance of a more diverse and younger group of passengers.

Hi all -

To preface, I don't mean this thread in a negative or ageist sense whatsoever.

However, most of the Transatlatic reviews I have read reflect that the average passenger age tends to be a bit older (and less diverse) than on other sailings, mostly due to the length of the cruises. As a result, I have seen a few comments in said reviews about "the ship is dead after 8:00" and "the nightclub had no-one in it", etc. :rolleyes:

So, has anyone in their 20's or 30's had this same sort of experience on a Transatlantic sailing? The reason I ask is I've got my eye on the Liberty Western TA sailing in November, 2009, but I don't want a 16-day voyage with no "nightlife" after 8:00.

DH and I will be 29 by November '09, and we want one last "great" cruise experience before starting a family.

Thanks for your opinions! :o

Im not in my 20's, but had/have some of the same concerns about doing a TA, I was actually booked on the Liberty, then changed my mind and booked my 3 Destiny cruises.

If Dream comes out with a nice TA cruise, I might switch again...I bet with the cost of air, Carnival will really drop the prices of these cruises after final payment. Although the prices are great.

I would say if you have a chance to go, do it. You just might get a cruise with a few younger people or older people that dont mind staying up after 8pm:D

Just reading this has me re-thinking my choice to cancel :p Im not a sea day person, but I really want to experience all the various cruises.

Thanks for all the insights everyone. I am hoping they release the Dream's TA schedule soon, as if I'm only going to do one TA before being saddled with children, I'd love it to be on the newest and grandest ship.

That being said, part of the reason I really want to do a TA is that I have 100,000 Delta Skymiles that will expire at the end of 2009 and I do NOT want to lose those, so I want to use them on a pair of one-ways to Europe and take a TA back.

I just don't want to be disappointed. That's not to say I wouldn't have a great time and probably meet great people regardless of age, but I like to stay up and watch shows and comedians and karaoke and dance...and from what I'm hearing, that's a bit of a pipe dream :rolleyes:

but I like to stay up and watch shows and comedians and karaoke and dance...and from what I'm hearing, that's a bit of a pipe dream.

Sorry to tell you this, but the advice you have been given is correct. It is not at all like a Caribbean Cruise.

Just something to think about. Have done TA only once, but have done Vancouver to Hawaii twice and doing it again in Sept. Hawaii trips win hands down for a longer cruise.

I've always heard the longer the cruise, the older the (typical) passenger. We are in our 40's and there were very few people younger than us on our 25th anniversary cruise on the Legend in December 2006 -- and it was only 8 nights! Granted, it was the week prior to the holiday week, which I'm sure had many families and a more diverse passenger base. The bars were basically empty after 10:00 or 11:00, so we didn't stay up too late on that cruise. I wouldn't hold out much hope for a TA having too many young people.

*sigh*

I guess I'll just wait until the Dream itineraries are released and maybe look into booking a back-to-back on that possibly. Or just bite the bullet and do a 2 week land vacation *gasp* instead. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your feedback, everyone. Your honesty is appreciated!

Don't be afraid to go on the TA. My fiance and I (28) went on our first cruise on the Norwegian Dream in the fall of 2006. It was a 17 day TA from England to Houston, Texas. We has a great time! Yes, we were surrounded by more possible grandparents than peers, but everyone was very freindly. We were never really bored. We met people a few people our age, but the truth is some of those retired people were a blast to be around!

With freestyle dining we had plenty of romantic diners for just the two of us, and some really entertaining lunches with some of the people we met. I can assure you the ship was not dead by 9pm. After the late show, most of the bars were full of people until around midnight. Now if you are after a kegger party, this may not be your criuse.

The length of the TA gave us a great trip for the price! We were able to see some great ports, but also truly relax and enjoy the pools and entertainment on the many sea days. We met great people and still were able to find some quite spots around the ship for alone/couple time.

If your found an itinerary you love, go for it! :D

Thanks for all the insights everyone. I am hoping they release the Dream's TA schedule soon, as if I'm only going to do one TA before being saddled with children, I'd love it to be on the newest and grandest ship.

That being said, part of the reason I really want to do a TA is that I have 100,000 Delta Skymiles that will expire at the end of 2009 and I do NOT want to lose those, so I want to use them on a pair of one-ways to Europe and take a TA back.

I just don't want to be disappointed. That's not to say I wouldn't have a great time and probably meet great people regardless of age, but I like to stay up and watch shows and comedians and karaoke and dance...and from what I'm hearing, that's a bit of a pipe dream :rolleyes:

Have you thought about a Mediterrean Cruise? We just got back from one and it was fabulous. My wife and I are both 30 and there were quite a few younger people on the ship and the night life was decent, not like Caribbean cruises but decent.

I just got back from a TA cruise. Hubby (50's) and I (40's) were by far some of the youngest on board. The disco was pretty dead, but the Piano bar was hoping all night. Karaoke was so popular they had to move it to a larger lounge. There were late shows and comedians each night.

So while it was not as lively as a Caribbean cruise, there were still things to do.

And there were NO chair hogs during the day. You could walk right up to the pool at any time and find an open chair.

Denise

First you need to recognize that a 16 day does not meet most peoples vacation schedule and/or lifestyle and it likely will not be a full ship. That being said you can expect an older crowd. While it is possible there will be some people joining cruise at ports to continue sailing it won't be a large amount that would change the demographics. I would expect many retired and older people. You may also have a quite a few Europeans...2 week holidays are the norm for many Europeans so this may keep night life going...but a younger American crowd is very doubtful. If you have the ability of taking 2 weeks off for cruising...you should also explore back to back cruises out of FL..Eastern itinerary 1 week and western the next. This will give you a better chance of a more diverse and younger group of passengers.

Another reason is that TA are pricey and the young people find it not only difficult to get that much time off like you said but the price is just not something they can afford. We are going to Europe in September and we expect to see a much older crowd. A sprinkling of some "young" but I am sure not many. As far as the OP question about the ship being dead at 8:00 that would never happen. They have something going on into the wee hours.

I disagree with the poster who said the ship won't be full...I haven't done a Trans-Atlantic yet, but I have done two longer cruise (14 and a 15 day) and the ships were pretty much full to capacity.

BUT, there were not many 20-30 somethings on those sailings to be honest. Now, in all fairness, I took those cruises on NCL (these passengers were between late 30's and 60's for the most part) and a Celebrity (average age was 70 :eek: ) Although CCL typically pulls a younger crowd or at least a more diverse age group, on a long sailing you will probably find very few couples in their 30's and even less in their 20's.

Even so, I don't think the carpets will be rolled up early. On Carnival, the nightlife is very good (and it was on NCL.... =X=, not so much)

if you have the opportunity to book this, don't let the age thing deter you. I'm sure you'll have a great time. :)

I just got back from a TA cruise. Hubby (50's) and I (40's) were by far some of the youngest on board. The disco was pretty dead, but the Piano bar was hoping all night. Karaoke was so popular they had to move it to a larger lounge. There were late shows and comedians each night.

So while it was not as lively as a Caribbean cruise, there were still things to do.

And there were NO chair hogs during the day. You could walk right up to the pool at any time and find an open chair.

Denise

Denise, I have been following many of your TA posts, thanks for all the great information. I especially enjoyed the packing light info, I plan to give it a dry run on my Victory cruise in Jan.

I decided to take the plunge and do the TA next year :) Do you remember if there was a jazz band playing each night?

Thanks

Denise, I have been following many of your TA posts, thanks for all the great information. I especially enjoyed the packing light info, I plan to give it a dry run on my Victory cruise in Jan.

I decided to take the plunge and do the TA next year :) Do you remember if there was a jazz band playing each night?

Thanks

Hmm, I can't say I noticed, but I will look at my capers when I get home tonight!

Another reason is that TA are pricey and the young people find it not only difficult to get that much time off like you said but the price is just not something they can afford. We are going to Europe in September and we expect to see a much older crowd. A sprinkling of some "young" but I am sure not many. As far as the OP question about the ship being dead at 8:00 that would never happen. They have something going on into the wee hours.

Yup, our TA was packed to the gills! I think I heard a count of 3,250 passengers.

The cruise itself wasn't badly priced ($1,449 for 14 days for a balcony, our 8 day Caribbean cruise is $999 for the same balcony). But the airfare is steep, and the shore excursions are more than the Caribbean.

Hmm, I can't say I noticed, but I will look at my capers when I get home tonight!

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Yes, the cruise portion of the trip is very reasonable..insides start at $799 for a 16 day cruise, cant beat that. Im hoping to use an air consolidator to get some decent airfare. Cruise air would be $1019 for me.:eek:

Yup, our TA was packed to the gills! I think I heard a count of 3,250 passengers.

The cruise itself wasn't badly priced ($1,449 for 14 days for a balcony, our 8 day Caribbean cruise is $999 for the same balcony). But the airfare is steep, and the shore excursions are more than the Caribbean.

Okay, it looks like the good news is that they had jazz most nights (all but 2) from around 9-midnight. The "bad" news is that it was in the Habana Cigar bar. I didn't hang around there much, but it is a big room and I felt it more hinted of cigar smoke than reeked of it. I'm not sure how it would be during jazz though.

The jazz group was really good the few times I heard them.

Our airfare was right around $1,000 (Seattle to Miami, Rome to Seattle) I could have gotten it a little cheaper, but the times on our flights were perfect.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at denisecyoung at yahoo dot com.

Okay, it looks like the good news is that they had jazz most nights (all but 2) from around 9-midnight. The "bad" news is that it was in the Habana Cigar bar. I didn't hang around there much, but it is a big room and I felt it more hinted of cigar smoke than reeked of it. I'm not sure how it would be during jazz though.

The jazz group was really good the few times I heard them.

Our airfare was right around $1,000 (Seattle to Miami, Rome to Seattle) I could have gotten it a little cheaper, but the times on our flights were perfect.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at denisecyoung at yahoo dot com.

Thanks!!

Im not sure why, but Carnival must think there is some link to cigars and jazz :) since they always put the jazz band in the cigar bar area.

I have included that in my comment card for my last few cruises.

Well is they have jazz after dinner, then I will be set!!

but I like to stay up and watch shows and comedians and karaoke and dance...and from what I'm hearing, that's a bit of a pipe dream.

Sorry to tell you this, but the advice you have been given is correct. It is not at all like a Caribbean Cruise.

Just something to think about. Have done TA only once, but have done Vancouver to Hawaii twice and doing it again in Sept. Hawaii trips win hands down for a longer cruise.

Don't want to take away from this thread, but what was the average age on your Hawaii cruises? I'm booked for April, 2010.

We have thought about doing a TA as well but with a large group of friends. However, just myself and my boyfriend went on a 12 day cruise to the med last year and loved it. We just booked a 12 day cruise again for the Northern Europe next next year and are excited. Cruises seem to be getting younger and younger these days. The point is you get out of a cruise what you want and you certainly always meet a bunch of great people!

Archived