montreal churches

We were in Montreal a couple of years ago and here was what I put down then about our visits to churches.

We visited the Notre Dame de Bon Secours Chapel, which is also known as the sailors chapel. It originally dates from the 1650's but the current church is from the 17th and 18th century. There were models of various ships hanging from the ceiling of the chapel donated by sailors over the years. We visited the museum and decided to purchase a museum pass that would allow us access into 30 different museums and also access to the subway and bus system for 3 days. It cost us $39 each and we got most of that back over the first two days and definitely ended up ahead over the 3 1/2 days of our visit. The museum visit included a visit to the church tower that overlooks the harbor. It was a great place to take pictures of the harbor including the Maasdam, which was still there. The climb up was a little tiring but the pictures were worth it. Next you visited other areas of the museum. It was definitely a place worth visiting if you are going to be visiting Montreal.

This church is right on down rue St Paul and can also be reached by just walking down the main street that is opposite the river side park.

Another church that is also within walkable distance is as follows.

We then went to our last major destination of our visit to Montreal, which included the Place de Arms, the Old Seminary and Basilica of Notre Dame of Montreal. The Basilica was finished in the mid 18th century and is a beautiful example of church architecture. They were working on the lighting for a special show that they were having during the evening while we were there so the pictures we took have some interesting lighting effects. There is also a second chapel, the Sacred Heart Chapel, that is much more modern at the rear of the main chapel. The Seminary next store to the Basilica is the oldest standing building in Montreal having been originally built in the mid 16th century. We spent most of the rest of the afternoon here and finally wandered back to the hotel to pack and get ready for our last evening in Montreal.

To reach this one you will have to walk out of the port area.

This was the B&B we stayed in. There is a map on the web site that show the port and a couple of churches including Basilica of Notre Dame. We didn't go in the other one it shows.

http://www.lesanssoucy.com/en/indexen.htm

We enjoyed a 3 day stay in Montreal and feel like we just touched the surface while we were there.

Have a great next cruise.

I'll go ahead and answer even though I think the review probably did.

We had a great time both in Montreal as well at the hotel. The breakfasts were fantastic and the people at the hotel were always willing to help however they could.

I mentioned the restaurants we went to which were all within walking distance of the hotel.

Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

We were in Montreal a couple of years ago and here was what I put down then about our visits to churches.

We visited the Notre Dame de Bon Secours Chapel, which is also known as the sailors chapel. It originally dates from the 1650's but the current church is from the 17th and 18th century. There were models of various ships hanging from the ceiling of the chapel donated by sailors over the years. We visited the museum and decided to purchase a museum pass that would allow us access into 30 different museums and also access to the subway and bus system for 3 days. It cost us $39 each and we got most of that back over the first two days and definitely ended up ahead over the 3 1/2 days of our visit. The museum visit included a visit to the church tower that overlooks the harbor. It was a great place to take pictures of the harbor including the Maasdam, which was still there. The climb up was a little tiring but the pictures were worth it. Next you visited other areas of the museum. It was definitely a place worth visiting if you are going to be visiting Montreal.

This church is right on down rue St Paul and can also be reached by just walking down the main street that is opposite the river side park.

Another church that is also within walkable distance is as follows.

We then went to our last major destination of our visit to Montreal, which included the Place de Arms, the Old Seminary and Basilica of Notre Dame of Montreal. The Basilica was finished in the mid 18th century and is a beautiful example of church architecture. They were working on the lighting for a special show that they were having during the evening while we were there so the pictures we took have some interesting lighting effects. There is also a second chapel, the Sacred Heart Chapel, that is much more modern at the rear of the main chapel. The Seminary next store to the Basilica is the oldest standing building in Montreal having been originally built in the mid 16th century. We spent most of the rest of the afternoon here and finally wandered back to the hotel to pack and get ready for our last evening in Montreal.

To reach this one you will have to walk out of the port area.

This was the B&B we stayed in. There is a map on the web site that show the port and a couple of churches including Basilica of Notre Dame. We didn't go in the other one it shows.

http://www.lesanssoucy.com/en/indexen.htm

We enjoyed a 3 day stay in Montreal and feel like we just touched the surface while we were there.

Glad you enjoyed your stay in Montreal. You answered this question better than I could have and I've lived here all my life. I was going to mention Notre Dame Basilica but you got that one covered.

To the OP, Montreal is a very French Canadian city with the majority of its dwellers being of catholic religion, so there are beautiful old churches on just about every second corner.

There was an old church on St. Catherine St., just a few blocks east of University St....St. James United Church. It's facade has recently been restored after many, many years of looking like just another building on the street. I walked by there so many times, not even knowing there was a church there but now it is absolutely beautiful. If you continue walking west along St. Catherine st., you will find quite a few old churches. They are all historical buildings so even tho they are building office complexes around them, they must maintain the original facade.

The last big church that I can think of in the downtown core is Mary Queen of the World, on Rene Levesque Blvd on the corner of Peel. It's a smaller reproduction of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.

Enjoy your time hear in our wonderful city!

Sandy

P.S. Don't forget very comfortable walking shoes. Those cobblestone roads around the port can be hard on the feet.

Archived