Summit Review-Part one

brazilgirl

Thanks Beamteam...the gondola ride is easy-they are all over the place and you need to just negotiate with them. There are more than 400 gondolas in Venice and they are competetive. We paid 120 Euros for a 50 min ride through the small canals and the Grand Canal.

The gentleman who set up our cruise connections page (Shaun) recommended the Unforgettable Tuscany tour company. Paolo organized the big tours on our cruise and he hooked our family up with drivers who weren´t from his company , but who he had connections with. You can get drivers in every port , but we only felt it was necessary in Livorno , Naples and Rome. The rest was easy to do on you own.Just look for unforgettable tuscany ´s web page.

Thank you! I for one read every word..where are you going on your next trip? Nancie

I'm loving you too!! We set sail 3 weeks from today!! I'm writing all of your highlights in my notebook!! I can't wait for your next chapter--shopping--now we're talkin!

Thanks,

Cheri

Guess I will start with the lost jewelery-ah , it makes my heart ache but I am hoping for a happy ending!

As I said , I traveled with my husband and 3 kids. We had 7 suitcases for the 5 of us and 1 carry-on for the adults and one for the kids , with books , crayons etc. Lots of stuff !

My husband has given me some beautiful jewelery throughout our marraige .My most special pieces are a white gold necklace with several (8) teardrop rose quartz crystals interspersed with diamonds-it is rather greek goddessy. I have matching large teardrop rose quartz earrings with diamonds.

I also have a platinum circular neckace with a spiral diamond pave pendant and matching spiral diamond earrings (they are really stunning). Brazil has some lovely jewelery if you are ever here!

And finally , there were the coral and gold carved flower earrings purchased in Ravello.

To make a long story short , in the hustle and bustle of the disembarkation process , getting all the kids bathed and fed , dressed , get the 8 passports (because of dual citizenship)etc , etc...I ended up leaving all my precious things (financially and emotionally !) behind in the safe. I left them to get last because the stateroom attendants had already started fixing the rooms and the doors were open. We had to be in the Celebrity Theater at 9:20 (we were the last group -gray tags) and I hate being late and my 11 yr old daughter was behind schedule! So , there we were , punctual , but in my haste , jewelery stayed in the locked safe.

When I realized what I had down we were in line to board the plane in Venice. One of those terrible , stomach -sinking moments. Luckily , I had the daily Celebrity journal with me with the phone number of the Venice Agent.Using my cell phone , I called her while in line. No real help . She e-mailed the ship and told me to call the main offices in Miami in the morning.

I called as soon as I arrived in Brazil and explained the situation. The woman promised me a callback within 48 hours-ha! I waited the 48 hours , then I called , and called again and again and again(you get the picture). They had received no answer from the ship yet etc etc...they had resent the e-mail to the ship 4 times etc etc.

Finally , I got an answer that the jewelery had been located (not to hard to locate in my book) and they had to inventory it...and this whole process could take up to 3 sailings. So I am still waiting. Anxiously , I might add.

I know I was the one who made a mistake. But the jewelery was in my safe with a personal code. I think the process could be a little less complicated to answer me and give me peace of mind. I told them from the beginning I would incur all costs etc....especially since the jewelery cost more than the cruise.

I was not heartened by the last person who I talked to who couldn´t guarentee me that my things wouldn´t get lost in the shuffle.

I am trying to be positive and I told myself I wouldn´´t let this episode spoil what was an exceptional experience. My husband wasn´t happy but he to is trying not to focus on it.

Marcos is from Romeinlimo , I believe.

I´ll write about shopping next installment! Kim

Nancie-not sure where we will go for our next trip! First we probably wwill go to the states to visit family. But the Baltics and British isles are on my list!

Thanks for everyone else who has taken time to read my long stories!

Is anybody reading this??Well , it has been fun reliving everything!

It has been fun for me too as I have been living your trip vicariously. I am following this thread for two wonderful young people who will be going on the Nov. 1 cruise as their honeymoon. I am so taken by your post that I will be printing it for their perusal. Thanks a billion.

Offer a NICE reward and see if it helps getting your jewellery back to its rightful owner, you.

Fran

Wow I love the pictures.

You have done a few things I have done, including taking the pctures with the guys dressed as gladiators at the colleseum. Andyou have done something I have always wanted to do, a gondola ride in Venice.

When I was a student we went to Venice on a choir trip. I couldn't afford it then and then a year later I went with my family and it was really cold and windy durng our one day in Venice. One day I will go.

thanks for sharing your photos and review - your family is beautiful. will be traveling with my daughter (19) in 2 months & will try to remember your words on being spontaneous (hard for a control freak!)

Kim, a fascinating and entertaining multi-part review. Thanks so much. Even though we're on a different ship, we have many ports in common. I hope to read a happy ending to your story of the jewelry. Keep us posted!

Kim,

Yes, people are really reading this and appreciate you taking the time to post it all!

Lucca - we plan to visit in Nov with our 8 yr old. Did you use the bikes just for a ride around the walls or did you use them inside the walled town too? I believe traffic inside the walls is limited but wasn't sure if it was limited enough for me to feel comfortible with dd riding around. Also did you visit or see anything in Lucca that particularly appealed to your kids (other than biking of course). Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Mary

Mary-

We rented bikes for the whole family at reasonable rates. There were very nice bikes with little trailer cars behind them-they have seatbelts and are very wide and low.My 4 yr old and 8 yr old rode in the trailers (my 8 yr old is not a confident bike rider ) and my 10 yr old rode alone.

We rode around the wall and through the city. The ride through the city was really amazing. We ´d ride through a narrow little street , turn the corner and suddenly come across a majetic church or plaza. We went for our ride around 3:00 in the afternoon and many shops were closed due to a "siesta " period. This was good for us as there were considerably less people in the street. If all shops were open we probably couldn´t have done it.

There was one very important factor to consider -a guide was riding with us , leading the way. That made a huge difference as he lead the way with confidence-the streets all look similar and I am sure we would have gotten lost!

We had gelato and looked at many lovely buildings and romped about the wall , but other than that we just rode our bikes....my daughter wrote in her diary that it was one of the best days in her life and I can honestly say the same.

I will follow up with Andreas (the guides )contact info. It is money very well spent if you are considering that option!

Kim

I have enjoyed reading your review and it has been helpful since we are doing the Med cruise on the Summit in November.

Sorry to hear about your jewelry but please do keep us informed as to it being returned.

Thanks for taking the time to write this.

WOW! Thank you so much for your wonderful review & beautiful pictures-we're going on the Summit 2 months from today & you've made me even more excited (I didn't think that was possible!)

I heard/read that catching a cab in Athens wasn't recommended-that the taxi drivers are known for suddenly changing agreed upon prices-you didn't seem to have any problem, did you hear of anyone having issues?

I'm hoping for a full return of your jewelry....let's rely on the fact that there are honest-good people working for Celebrity and that they do the right thing by you. Please keep us posted!

Terri

Glad to see activity here again!

Most of the passengers were from North America , but there was a nice mix of others from around the world -a lot of people from the United Kingdom , some South Americans (quite a few Brazilians , actually) and people from Norhern Europe too.

You guys complain about the Euro-well , one Euro is 2.65 reais (our currency)!Americans still have it good!

We negotiated the price with the cab driver before getting in the cab. We were very specific about how long a trip´we wanted (about 4 hours ) , where we wanted to go extra...And we told him we would pay at the end of the trip of course. We had no problems whatsoever and we had a very nice day for 50 Euros (for 5 people)-very good deal in my book!

I still haven´t got word on my jewelery. Tomorrow I will call them yet again.Seems awfully complicated to me.

I am so pleased you have enjoyed my review and photos! Would be happy to answer any other questions that come up.If anyone has any fashion questions , that is one of my favoritie topics!

Kim

Archived