Travelling solo with daughter - help please

katykiwi

Hi, any non US travellers been asked for a letter from absent parent to authorise travel with the mother/father please before boarding ship?

.....I haven't, but it's a good idea anyway. Also, as an fyi, if you two are traveling with someone else (not the other parent), it might also be a good idea to get a letter stating that in case of a medical emergency for your daughter, that the other person has the right to decide medical treatment in your absence.

Better safe than sorry.

:)

I'm not non US, but I have been asked by customs on debarkation. The first time I traveled with my grandson, we cruised out of Galveston. We were not asked either going or coming. He was 10. Last December, we took our granddaughter, who is 5, and were asked for the document by customs when we came back. This was in Miami. He looked it over but good, too.

I'm not nonUS either but I did travel with my 5 year old nephew. I had to have a copy of his birth certificate and letters from both parents stating I had permission to take him out of the country. It worked out fine but they did read the letter carefully.

Hello

I am British passport holder so are my sons, have now cruised 12 times with carnival and my youngest son is about to become a platinum card holder (10 cruises or more) in July, we have cruised from europe and usa many times not once have we been asked for any docs from my ex to say ok to travel. I also have a different surname to my sons as i have remarried. I always carry his birth certifcate/my divorce papers and my wedding certificate just incase i get asked for proof that i am his mother. But i have worried about this each time i cruise but even getting off/on in mexico still not asked. So don't worry print of a letter of consent you will find them on this site someone and fill it it yourself but like i have said i have NEVER been asked.

Hope this helps.

I'm a US citizen, and I cruised with my 4 year old grandson a month ago out of Galveston. My daughter just wrote a letter stating i had permission to travel with him, get medical attention if needed, etc. I only checked into what was needed to get on the ship, and I never thought about what was needed to get back into the country! The customs agent said next time the letter needs to be notarized, then he asked my grandson who i was!:eek: Well, of course, my grandson picked that time to just smile and look silly, so i told Zachary to tell the man what he calls me, and he said, "Gigi" and i told the agent that is his word for grandma! Whew!! :eek: I personally wouldn't take a chance, get everything you think you may need, and then some!

I am a non-US citizen and I always get a travel letter when I take my children to the United States or on a cruise. I have only been asked for the letter once. It was by the airline when I was leaving the States for home. The cruise line has never asked. It is really simple/cheap to have a letter written up and notarized. I would not travel without one.

Hi, any non US travellers been asked for a letter from absent parent to authorise travel with the mother/father please before boarding ship?

U.S. Immigration requires this letter. They may or may not ask you for it. I've been taking my grandson on a cruise once a year since he was 8 years old...he's 17 now. In the past, I have been asked twice...and he has been questioned by Immigration officials once...when he was about 11.

It's better to have it than not have it. If they ask and you can't provide this information, you can be denied boarding.

The reason behind this procedure is to prevent child abductions......

Might find more info here...

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_minor_pregnancy_policy.aspx

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_travel_document.aspx

Hi

I'm Canadian and have travelled with my DD more than once. We just got back from Alaska May 11th. Our last names are different since I have remarried. I always make a letter with all the details, dates, flights, times and e-mail it to her Dad, he prints it out and takes it to his lawyer, pays the $20 to have it notorized and mails it back to me. He only lives 2 hrs away too. Of course all this is only this easy if you are on good terms with the ex. Thank goodness we are. I really feel for those people who have to fight or track down a parent to have this done. It makes this small thing into a HUGE deal.

But, it is a small thing compared to being denied boarding or entrance to a country. That being said, we have NEVER ever been asked nor has she been questioned by anyone. She is 16 now. We almost always travel as a group of women, me, my DD, my sisters, my niece and my Mom, so I dont think we look suspicious at all, but I imagine that many more men travelling with their kids get questioned, not fair, but I bet they do.

When we were in the airport in St. Paul, a couple beside us with 3 small children were being questioned. Both parents were there but the official asked the little 4 or 5 year old girl who both people were. That's the first time I had ever seen that. I do think it's great though.

I would just get the paper and have the piece of mind knowing you have it. It would just worry me too much not to have it.

Good luck

Always have a notarized letter - so far have never been asked to show it (I know the one time I decide what the heck - who needs it - will be the time they demand it)- better safe than sorry!

many, many moons ago (while on the cruise this weekend, my cousin and I mused that it was probably 20 years ago), my parents took my oldest cousin with us on a cruise. After much pleading and fighting that it wasn't necessary, my aunt wrote a letter of consent on the back of a piece of paper that one of her younger children had used for a crayon drawing.

Well, luckily we had it. You see, my cousin injured himself pretty badly on that cruise - he in his 10 year old wisdom ways decided it would be a brilliant idea to go to the gym on board ship, turn the treadmill on 10, and then jump on...

He had rather bad burns on both of his legs, and they would have had an issue treating him if not for the letter of consent that my parents had gotten. So get it. You just never know.

On this same note....can anyone tell me if my DD is taking her 2 DD's on a cruise and she has FULL custody. Does she still need the notorized letter from her ex? 1 DD there is no custody order for because the child was born after the divorce was final..they didnt know she was pregnant till after the divorce. Or would you just get the notorized letter and be safe? Thank you all in advance for the help.

Actually Pauline, I am in the same boat (cuse the pun)! Having full custody I intend to bring my court order stating just that. So folks, will Pauline and I still need a notarsied letter as well.

Archived