Jeans in Dining Room

sweetladyjc

True but, I'm not letting DH wear the same pair for the whole 8 days and he would. He does wear them to and from the ship and most the time as it is.

You could wash them for him during the day while he lounges by the pool in shorts? Just a thought. :)

I have a question more than a comment.

Would you feel comfortable wearing jeans to an very nice, upscale restaurant at home?:rolleyes:

Absolutely. But I'm from nyc.

I find it odd that some people on this board equate jeans to work out in the fields on the farm work clothing.

I have yet to see anyone faint in the dining room over people wearing jeans. Nor have I ever sat with anyone and heard them critiquing others choice of dinner attire.

The only place I have ever heard that - is here.

You will find lots of people wearing jeans on carnival. You will also find lots of people wearing all kinds of different clothing. You will mostly find that people on formal or elegant evenings dress nicely. And if you spend your time enjoying your meal and your family or tablemates, you won't have the time to notice what others are wearing.

Or you could decide to become a fashion critic. And write up your columns and send them off to all the fashion magazines. And maybe one of them will think it so wonderful they will print it. At least then your time watching for what others on your cruise are wearing won't be for naught.

Hi,

I have a group of 38 people cruising the end of July. Many of which are in there young 20's. I have heard conflicting things about the dress attire in the dining rooms. This is my 5th Carnival cruise and over the years I have always known to dress as casual resort wear to dinner. Is this still the case or is Carnival allowing guests to wear jeans in the dining room for dinner?

I am thinking the guys would like to wear jeans with a polo or button down shirt while the ladies wear jeans with a dress shirt and shoes :confused:

Wear what you want..........You paid for the cruise and until someone pays for your cruise, then fuge em'!:D

Hurricane on the Bayou is not just in the New Orleans Imax - you can own your own copy with Tab on the soundtrack:

http://www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Bayou-Tab-Benoit/dp/B000O78632

When you watch the video, be aware that at the end when he and Amanda Shaw visit his "Home" to inspect the hurricane damage, it is really his fishing camp.;)

Wear what you want..........You paid for the cruise and until someone pays for your cruise, then fuge em'!

I agree with your statement but it never hurts to show a little "class" when you are out and about.*

*Disclaimer: I am originally from Texas where a jacket,string-tie and Stetson go well with clean-pressed jeans:D

I would not buy jeans at Walmart. I'm afraid they wouldn't hold up when sliding down a slippery slope. They do not sell Levi's at Walmart. :)

They sell Levis at the Walmarts here.

We just returned from the Miracle (out of NYC) yesterday and I will tell you the reality is that no one was turned away from the dining room for being poorly or improperly dressed, including elegant night. Most of the passengers had at least made the attempt. A few men in tuxes, more in suits, some in slacks/sport coat but a fair number in very casual clothes. Second elegant night we chose to eat in the Lido as the two other men at our table indicated they didn't want to "dress" for dinner. DH didn't want to be the only one at the table in a tux. I saw one boy (old enough to know better) in a sleeveless basketball jersey type shirt, baggy nylon shorts and headband in the dining room. I also saw jeans, and short, short, shorts.

In the Capers, for "elegant" night, it only said "no shorts" and even that was not adhered to.

The maitre d' didn't get anything from me either.

I never understood why people make such a big deal out of dressing nice for dinner. I mean, how hard can it be? You're on a cruise ship and you get to wear shorts, swimsuits, tshirts all day long and laze around in the sun like royalty....why can't you put on something nice for ONE HOUR for dinner? I would think that most people would want to make an event out of dinner every night on a cruise ship.

Also...I read posts here from people who don't want to spend money on nice clothes for their cruise. Hello! You paid big money for a cruise and you won't go spend a few more dollars on something nice to wear? I just don't get it.

If you can afford to pay for a cruise, you can afford to buy a suit or a nice dress.:rolleyes:

I never understood why people make such a big deal out of dressing nice for dinner. I mean, how hard can it be? You're on a cruise ship and you get to wear shorts, swimsuits, tshirts all day long and laze around in the sun like royalty....why can't you put on something nice for ONE HOUR for dinner? I would think that most people would want to make an event out of dinner every night on a cruise ship.

Also...I read posts here from people who don't want to spend money on nice clothes for their cruise. Hello! You paid big money for a cruise and you won't go spend a few more dollars on something nice to wear? I just don't get it.

If you can afford to pay for a cruise, you can afford to buy a suit or a nice dress.:rolleyes:

It's pretty simple, not everyone thinks like you. What you value and what you think is appropriate is probably irrelevant to 99.99% of the world.

People have different values and ideas. It would be a boring place if they didn't.

Would you feel comfortable wearing jeans to an very nice, upscale restaurant at home?:rolleyes:

Yes, of course why should I not feel comfortable doing so?

In any event though we are talking about the dining room on a cruise ship, not a very nice, upscale restaurant.

Cheers,

Peter

I never understood why people make such a big deal out of dressing nice for dinner. I mean, how hard can it be?

I completely agree with you, why on earth do people make a big deal about dressing up? After all how other people dress is of no concern of mine and since I like to wear jeans I do. :cool:

Cheers,

Peter

Well I got a laugh out of this thread. :D I am amazed at the concern about who's wearing what. I think everyone should do their own thing as long as you follow Carnivals guidelines. I could care less what anyone wears except what I am wearing! You should look nice in whatever and follow common sense ...like no hats or torn clothing YA KNOW, COMMON SENSE

This is the debate that never ends. I stopped eating in the dining room years ago because I choose not to dress for dinner, and frankly, I've grown so used to eating on my schedule in whatever pleases me, I haven't even thought about going back. Cruiselines, restaurants, etc. have become more accepting of casual attire because that's what the majority of people want....the choice to dress as they see fit. It's a vacation, it's not supposed to hurt.

While I agree that patrons should adhere to the posted guidelines, we should all recognize that the guidelines continue to become more inclusive of peoples' personal preferences. This is a good thing. It's meant to make more people happy, not to denigrate anyone's experience.

For anyone who's ever been asked to be a bridesmaid....there is no guarantee that formal attire equates to class.

The answer is quite simple.

I am on vacation, I pay for it, not you, and as a man I do not dress in order to impress you or anyone else.

I wear what I feel comfortable with.

That said, I do not wear ratty clothes to dinner, nor would I wear a bathing suit... I would not be comfortable in that

I would be comfortable in a pair of jeans or a pair of nice shorts, with a polo or collared shirt, at a regular seating.

On formal night, I am not going to wear a tux nor will I wear a suit. I have come to a place in my life where I do not need to ever wear one.

That is a luxury I enjoy and I am not giving that up for some nose-in-the-air judgmental person on a cruise ship.

Your concern over my attire is really your problem, not mine

I will look for you and your ilk on my upcoming cruise, craning your head to observe and judge the attire of all who enters the dining room, while whispering insults and critiques to your significant other and table mates.

The answer is quite simple.

I am on vacation, I pay for it, not you, and as a man I do not dress in order to impress you or anyone else.

I wear what I feel comfortable with.

That said, I do not wear ratty clothes to dinner, nor would I wear a bathing suit... I would not be comfortable in that

I would be comfortable in a pair of jeans or a pair of nice shorts, with a polo or collared shirt, at a regular seating.

On formal night, I am not going to wear a tux nor will I wear a suit. I have come to a place in my life where I do not need to ever wear one.

That is a luxury I enjoy and I am not giving that up for some nose-in-the-air judgmental person on a cruise ship.

Your concern over my attire is really your problem, not mine

I will look for you and your ilk on my upcoming cruise, craning your head to observe and judge the attire of all who enters the dining room, while whispering insults and critiques to your significant other and table mates.

Good answer. Some people like to play dress up and others don't. Who cares.... How is this really affecting people? I could have the people in jeans and tuxes at my table and it wouldn't bother me one way or the other. As long as they are good company, what does it matter what they stuck on there bod.

I feel quite comfortabel wearing my "dress" jeans to all the restaurants around here, but then it IS TEXAS.

You will probably see more jeans on the Conquest than on ships sailing from New York or Boston, because of the large number of TEXANS on board.

Whether one has enough $$ to buy clothes since they already paid for the cruise is frankly none of your business, and quite snotty and shallow sounding. I wonder if you meant to come across that way...:confused: Some people save thier pennies for years to take a vacation. I always feel extremely blessed to be able to vacation and have the means to do so.

I have all the clothes I need for multiple formal nights, plus some. Do I want to wear a long formal evening gown to dinner on a cruise? Ummmm, No. No, thanks. Not for me. I've got little ones and I prefer my mom jeans :p . My husband wears a suit every day to work on Wall St. I'm on vacation and thusly will dress as I please, not to please anyone else. That, and I don't want to pay the extra potentially hundreds of dollars in today's world of paying for checked luggage. Two pieces checked luggage on American is $40 multiplied by a family of five, now double that (round trip)...that is an extra $400...not worth it to me, especially if Carnival understands and allows me to dress comfortably.

That being said, I wear dark jeans with a nice top and heels to dinner except on formal night where I will wear a cocktail dress or slacks and a nice top. Hubby wears dockers or nice jeans with a golf shirt and a tie on formal nite.

It is truly a much more casual world now. Earlier this year, DH and I visited Paris and were fortunate enough to get good seats at the Opera Garnier to see Euricides. Many many people in nice jeans and casual clothing, including the French. One thing you will never see the French wearing is white sneakers, though!

...my shrimp cocktail, steak, and chocolate melting cake weren't effected by anyone's attire...

Cruises are too short to worry about what others are wearing. Wear what you want, be happy, and have a great cruise :D

It is truly a much more casual world now. Earlier this year, DH and I visited Paris and were fortunate enough to get good seats at the Opera Garnier to see Euricides. Many many people in nice jeans and casual clothing, including the French. One thing you will never see the French wearing is white sneakers, though!

I am neutral in the clothing debate. Let everyone wear what they want. The one thing I don't want to see is any standards set by the French. (make note to self to buy white sneakers for next cruise)

...my shrimp cocktail, steak, and chocolate melting cake weren't effected by anyone's attire...

hey now.. stop this. I am trying to LOSE weight for my August cruise. There's no need to bring food into this now. :p

hey now.. stop this. I am trying to LOSE weight for my August cruise. There's no need to bring food into this now. :p

haha...yea, my GF and I have been living at the gym the past couple months getting ready for our upcoming cruise...i need to fit into my nice dress pants so I don't offend anyone :p

Of course, after our cruise, we'll be right back at the gym trying to work off everything we ate and drank while cruising...but it will have been totaly worth it :D

Archived