Jeans in Dining Room

sweetladyjc

Well I got a laugh out of this thread. :D I am amazed at the concern about who's wearing what. I think everyone should do their own thing as long as you follow Carnivals guidelines. I could care less what anyone wears except what I am wearing! You should look nice in whatever and follow common sense ...like no hats or torn clothing YA KNOW, COMMON SENSE

Why not???

why not ripped tshirts and ratty jeans....

Carnival did not allow jeans for years and people did it any way.

So who are you to tell people they can't wear ripped and ratty???

Why not???

Carnival has allowed jeans for the last 10 years we have been cruising.

Why not ripped dress pants and ratty polo shirts:rolleyes:

Why not??

I am neutral in the clothing debate. Let everyone wear what they want. The one thing I don't want to see is any standards set by the French. (make note to self to buy white sneakers for next cruise)

I wore mine proudly along with my USA T shirts. No confusing where I was from. :p

Carnival has allowed jeans for the last 10 years we have been cruising.

Why not ripped dress pants and ratty polo shirts:rolleyes:

Why not??

I do not think that is a true statement.

In the past 10 years, we have cruised Carnival 22 times. And until the past three years, jeans were never even an issue. I have seen MD after MD after MD turn people around at the door for having on blue jeans (not ratty, not ripped) just jeans. You can't say Carnival allowed it, when they turned people away.

Carnival clearly and specifically told people what to wear and jeans were not blessed from Corporate. Now the past 3 years, I have seen that ignored more and more and Carnival did finally fold to allow jeans. (supposedly still not on formal night, but that is yet to be seen).

But my point is to people who say "clean or neat jeans"...why clean or neat.

If the clothing truly does not matter, then there should be no standard at all.

I mean if I have to look at some guys sweaty, hairy exposed belly because his tshirt and his jeans did not cover as he passed me at eye level as I am sitting in the "formal dining room"....then why not swim suits, shorts and tshirts?

It is no longer an "experience" when you dumb it down to the lowest level of tacky.

Some have tried to preserve some "class" at Carnival, but sadly it is definately a losing battle.

Don't get me wrong... I have blue jeans that cost $150 a pair. It is not about the money, but respecting others enough not to diminish the experience for them.

Formal night is your night of "class"

By the way, really appreciate your accusation that those who chose to not dress to your standards, lack "class"

If you need more than that, maybe Carnival isn't for you

I, too, live on the Mississippi gulf coast. My child recently graduated from high school and we took 10 family members to Ruth's Chris for dinner. Resort casual was the dress code. This included nice jeans. I may be in a minority but I see nothing wrong with nice jeans in the dining room.

In a good portion of the U.S., Ruth Chris is simply an upscale steakhouse....not an elegant restaurant.....Sorry.

I do not think that is a true statement.

In the past 10 years, we have cruised Carnival 22 times. And until the past three years, jeans were never even an issue. I have seen MD after MD after MD turn people around at the door for having on blue jeans (not ratty, not ripped) just jeans. You can't say Carnival allowed it, when they turned people away.

Carnival clearly and specifically told people what to wear and jeans were not blessed from Corporate. Now the past 3 years, I have seen that ignored more and more and Carnival did finally fold to allow jeans. (supposedly still not on formal night, but that is yet to be seen).

But my point is to people who say "clean or neat jeans"...why clean or neat.

If the clothing truly does not matter, then there should be no standard at all.

I mean if I have to look at some guys sweaty, hairy exposed belly because his tshirt and his jeans did not cover as he passed me at eye level as I am sitting in the "formal dining room"....then why not swim suits, shorts and tshirts?

It is no longer an "experience" when you dumb it down to the lowest level of tacky.

Some have tried to preserve some "class" at Carnival, but sadly it is definately a losing battle.

Don't get me wrong... I have blue jeans that cost $150 a pair. It is not about the money, but respecting others enough not to diminish the experience for them.

You can believe what you want to. They have been allowed the last 10 years we have been cruising and we (our group) have never been turned away at the door. I also believe it has never been a issue. It is only a issue on these boards.

And your comment about looking at some mans hairy belly because it could not be covered by his jeans and t shirt is no different then having to look at some overweight man squeezed like a sausage into polyester dress pants that are 2 sizes too small:rolleyes: No different. It is called common sense. It is not the material it is how you wear it. Clean and neat. It really is a no brainer:cool:

In a good portion of the U.S.' date=' Ruth Chris is simply an upscale steakhouse....not an elegant restaurant.....Sorry.[/quote']

You equate the massive dining room with dancing and singing waiters is more upscale than a place like Ruth's Chris, as well as an "elegant restaurant?"

If your "experience" is diminished because I am wearing jeans in the dining room then I feel sorry for you:rolleyes:

You equate the massive dining room with dancing and singing waiters is more upscale than a place like Ruth's Chris, as well as an "elegant restaurant?"

That's not what I said. I said Ruth Chris is not an elegant restaurant.....it's a steak house. In a truly elegant restaurant, jacket is required and jeans are not permitted.

I don't give a rat what someone wears in the dining room. It's been my experience that the only taste many people have is in their mouths when it comes to clothes and what is appropriate.

Like others here, I am free to express my opinion....and I answered the OP's question directly.... All the rest is simply chatter.

Don't get me wrong... I have blue jeans that cost $150 a pair.

WOW - you should totally wear those to the dining room!

Make sure the price tag is visible for all to see - maybe if you slip the "mater dee" a sawbuck he'll announce your entrance so that all present can fawn...

:rolleyes:

Whether you show up in a recycled 70's prom gown, a Bjork swan dress, or Levi's, somebody's likely to pass judgement. My suggestion to anyone whose experience is diminished by another's dress is to sail a cruiseline that appeals to your specific demographic. Miainstream cruiselines are embracing passengers with a varied sense of style.

If your dining experience is affected by your tablemate's dress, then choose to dine alone. I understand that. I choose to dine with my husband and/or our kids exclusively. It has nothing to do with other's dress, but because I prefer to spend my vacation with my family. You can choose the experience that you most prefer within the options that the cruiseline offers. If that's not satisfactory then find a cruiseline that meets your needs.

In a good portion of the U.S.' date=' Ruth Chris is simply an upscale steakhouse....not an elegant restaurant.....Sorry.[/quote']

If you consider the dining room on a cruise ship an elegant restaurant well...you have a better opinion of it than I do.

I have not been on Carnival in a couple of years so when I booked for this Thanksgiving I decided to go read up on the dress policy and if I recall correctly the dress policy includes jeans except on formal nights. If I am not recalling this correctly I am sure MANY will let me know:rolleyes:

It's not so much that people wear jeans to dinner. It is the whole idea of turning an upscale dinner experience into slopping the pigs at grandmas house. I mean, give me a break. It is 3-7 nights for the most part. Can't people just pack a couple of nice outfits and rotate them? Is it really that hard? If you want jeans, go to the buffet. No real dress code. If you want an upscale gourmet dinner where the waiters and waitresses dress for the occasion, shouldn't you dress in turn? Why is this such a hard thing for people to understand? I will dress for a gourmet upscale dinner no matter what Carnival says is allowed (obviously due to those who can't and won't follow guidelines to begin with). Okay, bashers... start bashing.... I can take it. I will be dressed accordingly while I am taking it as well.... :D

That is a luxury I enjoy and I am not giving that up for some nose-in-the-air judgmental person on a cruise ship.

Your concern over my attire is really your problem, not mine

I will look for you and your ilk on my upcoming cruise, craning your head to observe and judge the attire of all who enters the dining room, while whispering insults and critiques to your significant other and table mates.

Well stated Dave and I couldn't agree more.

It is only a issue on these boards.

I agree with this. I wouldn't have hesitated to tell my DH to wear jeans to dinner but I read on CC all the people that frowned on it so I forced him to wear uncomfortable clothes and go without his baseball cap just to please everyone else. Much to our surprise, we saw a wide variety of clothing in the dining room. My DH looked at me and said "all these people are wearing jeans, why couldn't I" in which I felt really bad for making him be uncomfy just to please some people. Most could care less.

Whether you show up in a recycled 70's prom gown, a Bjork swan dress, or Levi's, somebody's likely to pass judgement. My suggestion to anyone whose experience is diminished by another's dress is to sail a cruiseline that appeals to your specific demographic. Miainstream cruiselines are embracing passengers with a varied sense of style.

If your dining experience is affected by your tablemate's dress, then choose to dine alone. I understand that. I choose to dine with my husband and/or our kids exclusively. It has nothing to do with other's dress, but because I prefer to spend my vacation with my family. You can choose the experience that you most prefer within the options that the cruiseline offers. If that's not satisfactory then find a cruiseline that meets your needs.

Totally agree with you. Other cruiselines you may be treated like royalty and get announced as you enter a room LOL. This is Carnival, the fun ship. I plan to dress like I want to which will always be nice in my opinion, but maybe not someone elses' opinion. How each person dresses is up to each person and shouldn't have any bearing on how you enjoy your evening. I'm not going to skip the wonderful food in the dining room and settle for the buffet just because someone else will look at me and say "jeans, OMG, did you see her in jeans!"

It's not so much that people wear jeans to dinner. It is the whole idea of turning an upscale dinner experience into slopping the pigs at grandmas house. I mean, give me a break. It is 3-7 nights for the most part. Can't people just pack a couple of nice outfits and rotate them? Is it really that hard? If you want jeans, go to the buffet. No real dress code. If you want an upscale gourmet dinner where the waiters and waitresses dress for the occasion, shouldn't you dress in turn? Why is this such a hard thing for people to understand? I will dress for a gourmet upscale dinner no matter what Carnival says is allowed (obviously due to those who can't and won't follow guidelines to begin with). Okay, bashers... start bashing.... I can take it. I will be dressed accordingly while I am taking it as well.... :D

And you chose to quote my message which was just stating the facts...why? Just curious.

Some people get up every day and go to work in a suit and tie. My husband included. For him to dress in country club casual or resort casual is a "vacation". Also, I'm from Mississippi but the last pig I saw slopped was the pork chop the waiter served in the dining room on the Legend during rough seas on my last cruise.

Who cares?

As long as you're comfortable in what you're wearing, then that's good enough for me.

My table mates on this last cruise were my family. There were people around us in all stages of dress, and somehow, I'm pretty sure that the food tasted the same if they had been wearing jeans, or wearing their sunday finest.

Why not???

I'll say it again...COMMON SENSE! Something so many lack. I don't care what you wear on your vacation or what you paid for it. BUT I will wear what I choose to wear on my CARNIVAL "FUN" Ship cruise! If it doesnt meet your standards ...DON"T look at me or go to another ship!

Please, let's remember a few things:

1. Jeans are allowed except on Elegant nights. It's THAT simple.

2. Arguing about personal tastes/opinions is pointless. After understanding point #1 (above), everything else is just opinion and personal taste.

I WILL agree with the response that said something like "If you're experience aboard Carnival is diminished by seeing someone in jeans when it's allowed in the dining room", then perhaps you might want to think about another cruise line?

And you chose to quote my message which was just stating the facts...why? Just curious.

Because yours was handy. I honestly don't care what others wear to dinner. I have never made comment to others about people wearing inappropriate attire to dinner, no matter where that dinner was. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, I feel that a cruise is something special and a gourmet dinner is not something I generally have the time or opportunity to enjoy. I personally feel that a gourmet dinner with a glass of wine is not something one would get at a Red Lobster or other local eatery. It is a GOURMET dinner. Unless I am accustomed to eating Gourmet meals on a daily basis, they are special. I will dress as though they are special and not a daily occurrence. I guess that is what my point is. If I want normal, everyday, I can cook it myself food, I will wear jeans as I do every day at home. I am not opposed to wearing jeans. I just won't be wearing them to dinner on my cruise. If you feel that your special experience is not enhanced by dressing for the occasion, go ahead. Dress in jeans. I will be sitting at the next table enjoying the atmosphere and excitement of being on a cruise ship, eating a gourmet meal, while sipping a glass of wine in my nice dress. That's all I was saying. To each his own... and mine is dressing up!!! :)

Archived