First cruise and bringing snorkling gear???

rene194215

I do not want to use euqipment other people have used. So I got my own. However the fins are large and kind of heavy. Do you think I should pack them or rent them? With having to pay for checked luggage now I am trying to avoid too much baggage. Someone even told me you could snorkel with no fins??

Thanks!!

We (family of 4) have pondered this also. We decided that we would take the masks and snorkels. Nothing ruins a snorkel or dive trip like a leaky rental mask. Fins aren't that big of a deal, unless you are going free diving and intend on achieving maximum depths. In which case you would want to take what you're comfortable with. For us, I don't think it's worth the hassle of packing them and lugging them around. We have some SCUBA dives lined up as well and plan on just renting from those outfits.

I do not want to use euqipment other people have used. So I got my own. However the fins are large and kind of heavy. Do you think I should pack them or rent them? With having to pay for checked luggage now I am trying to avoid too much baggage. Someone even told me you could snorkel with no fins??

Thanks!!

Hi,

In the ocean I recommend using fins. Remember that you have a carry on bag as well. I usually carry my mask and fins in a small, cheap gym bag and just throw them up in the overhead while flying. They don't weigh that much and I guarantee my mask gets there in one piece.

Randall

Thanks!!

What kind of fins do you have?

My snorkel fins, Mares, weigh less than two pounds and are only @18" long.

Rental, or fins provided on a snorkel trip, may not be a good fit. Dive fins are lot larger and heavier and may be the only type available. They are definitely not good for snorkeling. I learned that the hard way.

Of course you can snorkel w/o fins, but it takes a heckuva lot more effort.

Archived