Triumph 5/25-6/1

Guppie45

I should start by saying that this is my third Carnival Cruise. I have sailed on Norweign Cruise Lines once and Disney once.

We sailed out of Miami on Saturday, 5/24 for a eight day cruise. I was with my dh, dd (9) and my nephew and his girlfriend. We had Cabin 2398 and they were next door.

The cabins were cleaned twice a day and always immaculate. The only problem we had (and I think it is a huge problem) with the cabin is that my 9 year old has bed bug bites all over her. She slept in the couch that pulled out to a bed. I told our room steward and he looked but said that there were no bed bugs on her mattress. He said it would be black if there were. I have never had any experience with this so I couldn't agree or disagree with him.. All I know is that she has bites on her rear end and around her stomach and under her arms. It is nasty.

The ship was clean and the crew was friendly. Everyone was always smiling and said hello. I did smell the sewer smell every now and then as mentioned before.

The food in the dining rooms was unbelievable. Always a good meal. No complaints from anyone. The buffet food was okay. Not bad but not above average either. I thought the pizza was okay, not the best I have had but not the worst. I did not eat any of the Chinese food. The NY deli was good. Always a line there though.

Shows were great. The dancers were wonderful. Made friends with one who is actually moving to our area when the ship goes into Drydock. She is engaged to one of the band members who grew up two towns over from me. Small world!

San Juan: Awful. The fort was nice but pulling into San Juan at 5pm does not leave alot of time to see the island. I thought it was dirty and not much to do. Would have skipped it if I had known and stayed on the ship.

St. Thomas: THe best port on the trip! Beautiful. We hired a sailboat for the day which took us to St. John where we snorkled in two different spots and they served a homemade lunch which was to die for. I highly recommend it... The name of the company is "High Pockets." It was $120. per person and worth every penny.

Tortola: Beautiful island. We did this island on our own so to speak. We jumped into a taxi and went to Cane Garden Beach.. A bit crowded but pretty. We rented a chair for five dollars and stayed on the beach until about 1pm. It was a good day.

Antigua: Had a bad experience there.. We booked thru Carnival the mini boat excursion. We had two tour guides take us to a so called deserted island. The second tour guide ended up stealing my nephew's new $110. Nike sneakers from his boat. He was gone five minutes and came back and his sneakers were gone! This tour guide also stole from another guest $50.00 from his wallet. He took him snorkeling and when he was in the water he went thru his wallet and took the money. We complained to the tour operator and to Carnival. They ended up arresting the tour guide and he gave the sneakers back. The other guest did not get his money back. DO NOT BOOK THIS TOUR! THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY THAT OWNS THE MINI BOATS LIED TO THE CARNIVAL EXCURSION STAFF MEMBER ABOUT THE WHOLE SITUATION WHEN TRYING TO COVER HIS BUTT ABOUT ONE OF HIS EMPLOYEES.

Nassau: I have been there before and we just walked around the Atlantis and the Straw Market. It was crowded. I couldn't see spending the $150.00 for the Atlantis waterpark because we were only in port from 1pm -7pm and the slides close at 5pm. It was a good thing because we got off the ship late because of customs I believe.

Overall it was a good cruise. I think next time I sail it will be on a newer ship. I know it was not Carnival's fault about the stolen shoes and that could happen anywhere. I just think that I would like the newer, larger ships that are coming out.

Any questions, let me know!

Thanks for the review! We are cruising her in 1 years time. I cannot wait if you have any pics that you are willing to share feel free. I would love to see more pics of the ship!

Did anyone mention what work would be done to Triumph when she goes into dry dock in September? I am on the Nov 9 sailing and wonder what improvements I have to look forward to.

Just an opinion and observation but I would have talked to the personnel at the front desk in person in addtion to the cabin steward about the bed bug bites as well as having the ships's doctor look at your child...but that is only my suggestion for any future problems...at least you would have had the issue documented...

Did anyone mention what work would be done to Triumph when she goes into dry dock in September? I am on the Nov 9 sailing and wonder what improvements I have to look forward to.

Just an opinion and observation but I would have talked to the personnel at the front desk in person in addtion to the cabin steward about the bed bug bites as well as having the ships's doctor look at your child...but that is only my suggestion for any future problems...at least you would have had the issue documented...

Hi,

I realized that I should have done that the last night on the ship. We realized the problem that night (Saturday). She had never gone outside at night so we know that they are not mosquito bites. I kind of let it go because we were getting off the ship and let her sleep in my bed with me. But, yes, no I regret not documenting it.

That's awful about the boat operator being a thief!

What is it with that horrible smell everyone mentions on the Triumph? I'd like to try that ship now that Victory has gone a different route but that stink is a bit offputting...:rolleyes:

I am glad you had a good cruise. We all have different experiences. I absolutely loved Puerto Rico, and I went at two different times. (one day and one night) I found it beautiful. The day trip was the best because we had our own tour.

On both our Triumph cruises, we were on the upper decks. I don't know if that makes a difference, but we had a wonderful time. This is the first time I'm reading about bed bugs on the Triumph.

We just got back from the 5-24 sailing as well...I am planning on doing a review (when I get a little more time). The smell is not that bad. I don't know if the pipes are starting to go bad or what but we only really smelled it one time and it wasn't that bad. I would have stayed on for this trip if I could have!!! :D

The bites may actually have come from Sea Lice not bed bugs......I know of several people who have been biten by them and they we awful...

Maybe it was sea lice. She was on a beach in Tortola and on the sailboat and snorkeling in the water in St. Thomas/St. John. Good thinking tho, hmmmm...

We were also on this sailing and had a great trip. Antigua was a disappointment, but we did not have an excursion booked, so perhaps there was more to see than we did. We took the kayak tour in Tortola, and the champagne catamaran tour to St. John while in St. Thomas, and both were awesome excursions. No reports of sea lice/bed bugs, but I did encounter the sewer smell one time during the trip, but it was gone in a few hours. Our room was great 8409, and all the staff was awesome. Only disapointment was I had a spa treatment (ultimate male experience) and my face broke out in a rash afterwards. I am not usually one to complain, but I did speak to the spa manager who was very helpful and also took the treatment off my bill. Not really what I was seeking, but it solved the problem. Well except for the fact that my face had a huge rash on it for another 2 days lol. All in all a great trip, and we are already searching for our next cruise;)

We were also on this sailing and had a great trip. Antigua was a disappointment, but we did not have an excursion booked, so perhaps there was more to see than we did. We took the kayak tour in Tortola, and the champagne catamaran tour to St. John while in St. Thomas, and both were awesome excursions. No reports of sea lice/bed bugs, but I did encounter the sewer smell one time during the trip, but it was gone in a few hours. Our room was great 8409, and all the staff was awesome. Only disapointment was I had a spa treatment (ultimate male experience) and my face broke out in a rash afterwards. I am not usually one to complain, but I did speak to the spa manager who was very helpful and also took the treatment off my bill. Not really what I was seeking, but it solved the problem. Well except for the fact that my face had a huge rash on it for another 2 days lol. All in all a great trip, and we are already searching for our next cruise;)

Right when we got off the ship in Antigua, we were walking up the shop strip and I saw a guy with a sign for private tours around the island. We did that and his son ended up driving us around. Antigua is much actually pretty away from the city.

Now we know, when in doubt (i.e. no excursion booked get a taxi and drive the island):p

Archived