Insurance Question

WinnieinWA

I was wondering how much a MediVac costs from a cruise ship. Does anyone have any idea? I want to know so I can make an informative decision on which type of travel insurance I will consider.

I hope no-one has actually had to use that service but may have some knowledge.

Thanks

I was wondering how much a MediVac costs from a cruise ship. Does anyone have any idea? I want to know so I can make an informative decision on which type of travel insurance I will consider.

I hope no-one has actually had to use that service but may have some knowledge.

Thanks

Where from?

This might be of interest and help..... http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D06EFDF143FF935A3575AC0A96E958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=2

My boss's DH had a heart attack on a cruise ship in Spain. The ship returned to Majorca to drop them off. They were advised that in Spain, you really want to go to a private clinic, not a public facility. I don't know what it cost, but I know it was thousands. She had to come up with the cash to get him out of the hospital.

I know most never travel without insurance, but we never have and saved enough money for a few more cruises. Not saying you should not buy insurance, but that is just us.

Insurance is after all, just a legal form of gambling.

We are in our seventies and always buy travel insurance, including medical evacuation. This helicopter picked up a lady passenger in April who had had a heart attack two days short of the Azores. She had to wait about 12 hours until the ship was close enough to be within helicopter range.

Helicopter-1.jpg.d02b8397e213ebec33a4e1aba149997f.jpg

PS - There are some policies out there for just medical evac, or very serious stuff. Costs way less than the per cruise policies. Depends if you want trip cancel or interuption insurance too.

Archived