Connecting minis or an AB suite?

I have read a few posts about whether to choose a mini or an AB suite, but what do you think is better for a family of 4 (myself, DH, 14yoDS, and 10yoDD)....2 connecting mini-suites or an AB Penthouse? I have the 2 mini-suites already booked, as I thought the kids would be more comfortable in real beds, as opposed to the pullout couch and pull down bunk, but now I am having second thoughts. The 2 minis were much cheaper by the way, but of course, no "suite perks". What do you all think?

Oh, definitely!!! The second bedroom has the capacity for 3 people: one bed folds down out of the wall (about the same size as a twin), the second bed folds out from the couch (about the same size as a full). Your DD can sleep in the "bunk" bed and DS can sleep in the lower pull out. They'll be just fine. And, there's a separate bathroom also.

The best review of the AB is here. It's from the Star, but it's the same for all AB's on the Jewel class ships:

http://www.orcatekweb.com/Cabin-11550.htm

You're welcome. Just tell DH how much he'll be waited on. The butler is at your beck and call. The concierge will always be around to help. And, every crew member will be doting over you and your kids. You'll really receive the VIP treatment.

The AB is great. But it does cost lots. It will easily fit your needs.

On the other hand, two connecting balconies will do very well. You really do not need the connecting mini -unless the price is close. After all, they are just over sized balconies.

Again, AB with separate bedroom is great. You have to balance perks to price. And, I assume you are on ship where AB has the extra BR.

The AB is great. But it does cost lots. It will easily fit your needs.

On the other hand, two connecting balconies will do very well. You really do not need the connecting mini -unless the price is close. After all, they are just over sized balconies.

Again, AB with separate bedroom is great. You have to balance perks to price. And, I assume you are on ship where AB has the extra BR.

Yes, we will be on the Gem again, so the AB's do have the 2nd BR. We picked the 2 mini's because of the floor location! We thought it would be great not to have to take the elevator, everytime we went to the kids club and pool. Unfortunately DH is not convinced the AB is worth the extra $$. Oh well, we'll have fun either way! Thanks for your reply.

I would not pick a room because of up and down location. After all, some stuff is on lower decks like 7 and 8. And, the more time you can use the stairs, the better. Teach the kids that stairs for a few levels is normal, vs the elevators. I am amazed how many able bodied people will not walk even one flight. Of course, we are the opposite. We return from shore and walk from level 4 up to 10 or 11 everytime.

If you are on 8 or 9, then only a few levels up or a few levels down.

I would not pick a room because of up and down location. After all, some stuff is on lower decks like 7 and 8. And, the more time you can use the stairs, the better. Teach the kids that stairs for a few levels is normal, vs the elevators. I am amazed how many able bodied people will not walk even one flight. Of course, we are the opposite. We return from shore and walk from level 4 up to 10 or 11 everytime.

Unfortunately, it's not the kids or hubby that care about the stairs, I have psoriatic arthritis and it can be painful to walk down the stairs. :( (And I am self conscious about being slow and holding up other people.) Strangely, it doesn't both me walking up the stairs. But I agree with you, I use the stairs whenever I can.

Unfortunately, it's not the kids or hubby that care about the stairs, I have psoriatic arthritis and it can be painful to walk down the stairs. :( (And I am self conscious about being slow and holding up other people.) Strangely, it doesn't both me walking up the stairs. But I agree with you, I use the stairs whenever I can.

I hear ya, I have similar issues with my knee but not so much with pain - going up no problem, going down I need to hang onto the banister tightly lest I fall on my face. My daughters are only now just beginning to understand - only after I fell down 1/2 a flight of stairs in Tiffany's NYC. Have been trying to avoid surgery for years with phys therapy, and it is actually strengthening a bit last few years. For me it's still up the stairs, and down the elevator if more than a flight or two.

Robin

Does NCL allow pets now????....or do they make you get off your high horse when you board!!

Archived