Punta Sur

hokiefan1

Hi! We cruised last year on the Carnival Valor and we did this excursion. The only difference is that we didn't do the buggy tour, we drove the Jeep Wranglers. Punta Sur Beach was absolutely our favorite part of our cruise. We got to stop in and look at what was left of a Myan Ruin on the way to the beach. We stopped and visited a Salt Water croc named max. The snorkeling was absolutely beautiful and made me fall in love with snorkeling. I think that this is a fantastic choice in an excursion. Funny thing is that this was a last minute decision and we literally booked it 10 minutes before the excursion started. Definitely the highlight of our cruise! I hope you enjoy!

We did not do this excursion, but we did drive (on our own) to Punta Sur. This is a wonderful place. There are very few people there with an array of things to do. If you do not want to go through a ship excursion, Punta Sur is a very easy drive.

Note that this is not a beach club type of place. It is an ecological park that is very natural with basic amenities. There is a lot to do - climb the lighthouse, explore the small museum, shop at the little museum shop and other vendors, explore small ruins, walk the beautiful beach, have some good food from the vendor at the museum, take a lagoon boat tour, snorkel, swim, rest in a shaded hammock, or lie in the sun on a beach chair with umbrella.

For images of Punta Sur - search in Google images. There are many.

Have a great time - we did!

We swam to a sand bar and made sure everyone in our group of 8 were okay to continue. That wasn't very far out at all. Once we got started the time just melted away. The current from the ocean helps carry you along the reef to view the beautiful fish and coral. At our stopping point our guide asked if we thought we could swim back to shore. He explained that we would be swimming against the current and it could become difficult. If you feel that you can't do swim all the way back to shore, they have a small boat that can pick you up and carry you back to the shore. The swim back to the shore wasn't very long, but swimming against the current was the hard part! We did and I was actually quite proud of myself! I didn't think I could do it, but I did. If you book the right excursion, you may even get lunch. We did and it was delicious. Great choice! I hope you enjoy your cruise and Punta Sur beach! From what I've heard, this beach is much less crowded than the other beaches that are around. We weren't crowded at all!

Archived