NCL and financial problems?

llynn1013

First, my husband and I are going on the Star on 6/21. My mother went to AAA today in Washington (where we live) to book a cruise for her and was told they will NO LONGER book with NCL because they are having "financial problems". Does anyone know if this is true or was it just a misinformed TA trying to get my mom to book with another line? I hope it is not true. Thanks - Laura

First, my husband and I are going on the Star on 6/21. My mother went to AAA today in Washington (where we live) to book a cruise for her and was told they will NO LONGER book with NCL because they are having "financial problems". Does anyone know if this is true or was it just a misinformed TA trying to get my mom to book with another line? I hope it is not true. Thanks - Laura

I have no idea but...in reading what the airlines are doing lately, I can't believe ANY cruise line is having problems.

What cruise line did the TA suggest? Perhaps one that gives a higher commission;)

Hopefully, Nita will come on and answer:)

I've heard that AAA won't sell NCL because they want a higher commission than NCL will give them. Whether this is true or not, I wouldn't believe what your mother was told.

I have heard AAA travel agents not booking NCL for a long time. In 2003 we were going to Alaska on NCL. My mother who lives in Florida went to AAA for a brochure and they said they didn't book NCL. I also know my SIL books her NCL cruises through AAA, but the agent is her cousin.

Agree with other posts, AAA, sells away from NCL, and has done so for a while now. Overall, AAA will not provide objective information about NCL. Very few of their agents have ever sailed on NCL. When booking any vendor, land/cruise, you should ask the TA if they have personal experience with that company.

That just isn't so, if it was you would not be able to buy outside insurance on NCL, and none of the major companies has pulled them from the insured list.

Diane in Music City

If you "google", you will find several articles concerning the financial health of NCL. Even CC has written a few outlining, specifically, the downward spire and financial drain Hawaii has put on NCL.

Stockholders insisted that Hawaii be dropped, the ships either repositioned or sold. Those ships were absolutely draining the coffers......

In addition, NCL recently settled a racial discrimination suit for 1/2 million dollars.

Triple A (and other reputable companies), will cut and run at the first hint of financial problems from a supplier. They cannot afford to put their large client based in any jeopardy, financially.

If you do enough reading on it, you will see some early signs that NCL is trying to pull itself back up by it's bootstraps.

I wish them well.

AAA goes by just that, three capital A's, not Triple A.

There is so much more to the lack of relationship between AAA and NCL. NCL is not a public company and does not answer to stockholders. Granted, Hawaii was a difficult product to launch and it was draining on the bottom line but they knew it would be, given how expensive the start up costs are. They did not intend to go down to one ship and look for a second ship to re-enter that market. Although AAA has a large membership, second only to the Catholic church, overall, very few of their members buy travel from them. In addition, most AAA's will sell you a third party insurance travel policy, which cover if a vendor should go bankrupt. This list is updated by the insurance company and if a company is unstable the insurance company will drop them from the policy. NCL has always been covered by this third party insurance company.

Sorry but maybe you should do some more research as you suggested we should.

If you "google"' date=' you will find several articles concerning the financial health of NCL. Even CC has written a few outlining, specifically, the downward spire and financial drain Hawaii has put on NCL.

Stockholders insisted that Hawaii be dropped, the ships either repositioned or sold. Those ships were absolutely draining the coffers......

In addition, NCL recently settled a racial discrimination suit for 1/2 million dollars.

Triple A (and other reputable companies), will cut and run at the first hint of financial problems from a supplier. They cannot afford to put their large client based in any jeopardy, financially.

If you do enough reading on it, you will see some early signs that NCL is trying to pull itself back up by it's bootstraps.

I wish them well.[/quote']

If you "google" or even log on to any news source you will find that almost every business is having to deal with financial problems. Check out United Airlines, American Airlines, General Motors, etc, etc. I wish them (and us) all luck. They said the United States is now going to South Korea to borrow money. Better travel while you can.

I'm still an NCL fan, and won't quit cruising with them until I can't afford it anymore. Or, they ban smoking.

If you "google"' date=' you will find several articles concerning the financial health of NCL. Even CC has written a few outlining, specifically, the downward spire and financial drain Hawaii has put on NCL.

But don't forget that like I said, AAA gave my mother "trouble" in 2002, before the first of the NCLA ships even set sail.

AAA goes by just that, three capital A's, not Triple A.

There is so much more to the lack of relationship between AAA and NCL. NCL is not a public company and does not answer to stockholders. Granted, Hawaii was a difficult product to launch and it was draining on the bottom line but they knew it would be, given how expensive the start up costs are. They did not intend to go down to one ship and look for a second ship to re-enter that market. Although AAA has a large membership, second only to the Catholic church, overall, very few of their members buy travel from them. In addition, most AAA's will sell you a thrid party insurance travel policy, which cover if a vendor should go bankrupt. This list is updated by the insurance company and if a company is unstable the insurance company will drop them from the policy. NCL has always been covered by this third party insurance company.

Sorry but maybe you should do some more research as you suggested we should.

We bought travel from AAA several years ago...never again:eek:

In all fairness to AAA, I have first hand experience with them and have had alot of positive interactions. I also know the finer details of the reason why they sell away from NCL and as there is truth to past posts on this issue.

If you believe everything you read in the papers, the US would be heading back to the stone ages and we lost WWII. NCL just received a billion dollar infusion of money from an investment house. NCL America still has one ship and its true that Hawaii was a financial bust but overall NCL has been profitable. Some of the financial issues are proforma interest charges but the line has been profitable before interest charges. a half million dollar settlement of a racial case is almost a nuisance value considering attorney's fees. Tavern on the Green-much smaller than NCL just has a 2 million plus settlement.

NO supplier has put NCL on a cash only basis and the Travel Insurance companies who have a list of acceptable carriers for Bankruptcy purposes haven't removed NCL from the insurable list....These are much better indicators of financial trouble...

My wife and I booked our Sept Alaska NCL Pearl cruise through AAA. Our TA was definitely not liking that we didn't want to go with Princess. She still booked NCL for us and has been great but she did tell us that AAA has a deal with Princess where they provide extra discounts and such.

AAA prefers you go with Princess or one of their lines.

In all fairness to AAA, I have first hand experience with them and have had alot of positive interactions. I also know the finer details of the reason why they sell away from NCL and as there is truth to past posts on this issue.

Then, please share your "finer details";)

Are they a "secret":confused:

My wife and I booked our Sept Alaska NCL Pearl cruise through AAA. Our TA was definitely not liking that we didn't want to go with Princess. She still booked NCL for us and has been great but she did tell us that AAA has a deal with Princess where they provide extra discounts and such.

AAA prefers you go with Princess or one of their lines.

And that explains it ALL:)

At least you had an "honest" agent!

My favorite fairy tale was Princess and the Pea; I can feel anything in the bed! My favorite accessory was a tiara. Maybe, I should try Princess? Would I have to wear my gown and slippers? Do they allow smoking?:D

My favorite fairy tale was Princess and the Pea; I can feel anything in the bed! My favorite accessory was a tiara. Maybe, I should try Princess? Would I have to wear my gown and slippers? Do they allow smoking?:D

Don't know about the gown and slippers (I also loved Princess and the Pea) but latest reports from the Dawn...you will not feel a pea under the mattress:) And, smoking is still allowed:D

When I started looking into booking a cruise for six I tried AAA and the travel agency that Costco goes through. They both were against booking with NCL. The Costco agency flat out told me that they do not book NCL. According to them they have subpar service. I decided to research on my own and came across these boards which have provided a wealth of information. I decided to book with NCL their Freestyle crusin appeals to the type of vacation that we are looking for. I think it is up to the person to decide what is best for them. I am crusin on NCL on the 28th of this month and look forward to reporting back on what I hope to be the best vacation ever!

Liza

When I started looking into booking a cruise for six I tried AAA and the travel agency that Costco goes through. They both were against booking with NCL. The Costco agency flat out told me that they do not book NCL. According to them they have subpar service. I decided to research on my own and came across these boards which have provided a wealth of information. I decided to book with NCL their Freestyle crusin appeals to the type of vacation that we are looking for. I think it is up to the person to decide what is best for them. I am crusin on NCL on the 28th of this month and look forward to reporting back on what I hope to be the best vacation ever!

Liza

Looking forward to your review.

Have a great cruise:)

Archived