A request for Rev.Neil

MikeT718

Hi Rev. Neil what I was wondering if you had the time would you read my review of the Volendam Cruise Tour of 5/21/08 to 6/1/08....I respect your opnion and I know you will give me the truth even though we have had our differences in the past I still trust you...I am supplying the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=786342

Thank you in advance

Hi Rev. Neil what I was wondering if you had the time would you read my review of the Volendam Cruise Tour of 5/21/08 to 6/1/08....I respect your opnion and I know you will give me the truth even though we have had our differences in the past I still trust you...I am supplying the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=786342

Thank you in advance

Dear MikeT718,

Thank you for posting that review. I don't think I would have seen it had you not asked me to read it (I'm not a big review reader unless it's of a cruise I plan on taking soon or by someone I know well). I enjoyed your review; it was exhaustive in terms of how you described your trip, leaving very few questions for me. It was clear that you had several major problems on the land portion of your trip, followed by a cruise that wasn't as good as it could have been. However, a B+ is definitely a reasonable grade, given what you described. I found most of the elements you described about Alaska, itself, to be certainly valid given your perspective, though I might have seen a few things differently. I thought your remarks regarding the crew, etc., to be a little picky but also understandable and, otherwise, quite reasonable. I thought your remarks on the dress code to be spot-on in terms of what one usually sees (these days) in Alaska.

Was there some specific reason why you wanted me to read and remark on your review?

Yes there was a reason I wanted you to read my review...I have read most of yours and have enjoyed themand you are very knowalegable about HAL so I trust you....A lot of others who read it say it was good but I was not sure...We have had differences in the past and I knew that you would be honest....I just got word that CC just posted it in their member review site:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=42790

Once again thaknyou ver much

Yes there was a reason I wanted you to read my review...I have read most of yours and have enjoyed themand you are very knowalegable about HAL so I trust you....A lot of others who read it say it was good but I was not sure...We have had differences in the past and I knew that you would be honest....I just got word that CC just posted it in their member review site

Thank you very much for your kind words. Yes, as I said in my prior post, I thought it was a good, highly detailed, and informative review. It was, just perhaps, a little long, but that's understandable and expected given the length of your trip and the events that you describe. You were very fair with HAL, and even gracious at moments when things didn't work out quite as you had hoped or expected. In short, it's a useful review and I'm glad CC has posted it.

As for the past differences we've had, whatever they might have been, I certainly don't remember them now. But, that's not surprising because I've never been able to hold onto a grudge or dislike for very long ... life is too short to nurse grudges or dwell over past altercations (unless someone else keeps dredging them up and throwing them in my face). I've seen too many people destroy themselves -- mind, body, and soul -- by stewing over hurts, angers, and perceived wrongs, totally incapable of forgiving, forgetting, and moving on. So ... whatever the nature of our encounter or difference in the past, if there were any hurt feelings I'm sorry for them and I hope we can move positively forward.

Blessings on your and yours in your future cruises.

MikeT718...Just read your review & enjoyed it...Have a question about formal nights..You state "First thing that I noticed was the number of people who dressed down this number was about 40%...By dressing down I mean no tie or jacket for men, ladies in sweatshirts, people in jeans and sneakers….As far as men in tuxes goes maybe 10% had tuxes but the rest of the 50% had suits and ties"

We'll be on the "Veendam" Southbound in Aug, after a one week land portion with a Tour Wholesaler..We'll be staying at the same Hotels..

DH always takes his TUX as well as a Sport Jacket & dressy slacks..We usually drive to the ports & have always taken 2 large bags plus a wheeled hanging bag for our formal clothes in addition to our carry-ons..Have not flown since 2005 when baggage was less restrictive..

Now that we must fly to Anchorage & can only check in one bag each not more than 50lbs, I'm determined to cut down on clothes & shoes...:o (shoes are my downfall & everyone kids me about them) However, we'll have to take heavy jackets, sweaters, boots, hats, gloves & poncho's as we did for our South American cruise..Since living in Fla we're not used to the cold, which really gets to us...LOL

My Question is: Did you see 50% of the Men in Suits or did some of them have Sport Jackets & ties with Dark Pants...We're trying to figure out if DH can only take his Sport Jacket with ties & Dark pants for the two formal nights & the Pinnacle....I have no problem as can roll up my Dressy long black palazzo pants & skirt & still take two dressy tops...We'll still plan to dress in "Smart Casual" the other nights..We also plan to cross pack each checked bag..Figure it's best to pack both of our clothes in one bag for the land tour & try to keep the second bag for our ship-board clothes..

Only 63 more days to go,:D & we're both getting excited...Starting to prepare our clothing list..Thanks in advance for your answer..

Cheers..:) Betty

P.S. DH either wears dress shoes or boat shoes here in FLA..I've been telling him he needs boots for Alaska..He hates tennis shoes, but if he can get away with them he would probably would agree to buy them instead of boots..Your thoughts?

MikeT718...Just read your review & enjoyed it...Have a question about formal nights..You state "First thing that I noticed was the number of people who dressed down this number was about 40%...By dressing down I mean no tie or jacket for men, ladies in sweatshirts, people in jeans and sneakers….As far as men in tuxes goes maybe 10% had tuxes but the rest of the 50% had suits and ties"

We'll be on the "Veendam" Southbound in Aug, after a one week land portion with a Tour Wholesaler..We'll be staying at the same Hotels..

DH always takes his TUX as well as a Sport Jacket & dressy slacks..We usually drive to the ports & have always taken 2 large bags plus a wheeled hanging bag for our formal clothes in addition to our carry-ons..Have not flown since 2005 when baggage was less restrictive..

Now that we must fly to Anchorage & can only check in one bag each not more than 50lbs, I'm determined to cut down on clothes & shoes...:o (shoes are my downfall & everyone kids me about them) However, we'll have to take heavy jackets, sweaters, boots, hats, gloves & poncho's as we did for our South American cruise..Since living in Fla we're not used to the cold, which really gets to us...LOL

My Question is: Did you see 50% of the Men in Suits or did some of them have Sport Jackets & ties with Dark Pants...We're trying to figure out if DH can only take his Sport Jacket with ties & Dark pants for the two formal nights & the Pinnacle....I have no problem as can roll up my Dressy long black palazzo pants & skirt & still take two dressy tops...We'll still plan to dress in "Smart Casual" the other nights..We also plan to cross pack each checked bag..Figure it's best to pack both of our clothes in one bag for the land tour & try to keep the second bag for our ship-board clothes..

Only 63 more days to go,:D & we're both getting excited...Starting to prepare our clothing list..Thanks in advance for your answer..

Cheers..:) Betty

P.S. DH either wears dress shoes or boat shoes here in FLA..I've been telling him he needs boots for Alaska..He hates tennis shoes, but if he can get away with them he would probably would agree to buy them instead of boots..Your thoughts?

Hi and I hope you have a good trip but I needed no boots my sneakers were just fine...And as far as the formal nights out of the 60% who did dress maybe it was about <10% with sport jackets

I hope this info helps

Hi and I hope you have a good trip but I needed no boots my sneakers were just fine...And as far as the formal nights out of the 60% who did dress maybe it was about <10% with sport jackets I hope this info helps

Yes Mike it does help..Thanks..We'll get DH sneakers & have him take a dark suit...

Maybe the best thing to do would be to take our rolling garment bag for all of our evening wear on the ship & then just one other 26 inch bag for the everyday things..We'll just have to experiment...

Thanks again..:) Betty

Of all the cruises that HAL does, the most casual is the Alaska cruise. I would never consider bringing a tux. My husband has hauled a suit numberous times and then decided to wear the sportscoat and tie. I think it depends on what your DH feels comfortable.

enjoy

Josephone

Of all the cruises that HAL does, the most casual is the Alaska cruise. I would never consider bringing a tux. My husband has hauled a suit numberous times and then decided to wear the sportscoat and tie. I think it depends on what your DH feels comfortable.

enjoy Josephone

Thanks for the input..Perhaps I should just let him decide...Unfortunately, he sometimes asks for my opinion...:) Betty

Archived