AT&T Cell Service

loves2cruz

I've used my ATT phone (iPhone) all those places (save Fairbanks) and have had excellent coverage and reception with no problems. Not sure if there is service in Healy proper.

Your phone will work in town but not in more remote areas such as the drive between Seward and Anchorage. Lately in town service for Seward hasn't been that great. Alot of dropped calls and network busy where calls can't get through. It gets worse as more people with more phones hit town. July 4th last year was very limited to none most of the day.

So if I have ATT national long distance coverage, are my ports in Alaska (Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Glacier Bay) covered with no fee? I have always been very careful when cruising in the Caribbean and using my cell only in covered US ports.

What experience have Alaska cruisers had with ATT? I don't want any surprises when my bill comes after my July Westerdam cruise.

I thank everyone on the Alaska boards for all the wonderful information and advise given. Having only been on Caribbean cruises, Alaska in July is a whole new experience!

Cathy

Cathy - I use my ATT phone all the time during my 2 week visit and have incurred no extra charges. Might want to double check with ATT on your specific plan just to be sure.

So if I have ATT national long distance coverage, are my ports in Alaska (Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Glacier Bay) covered with no fee? I have always been very careful when cruising in the Caribbean and using my cell only in covered US ports.

What experience have Alaska cruisers had with ATT? I don't want any surprises when my bill comes after my July Westerdam cruise.

I thank everyone on the Alaska boards for all the wonderful information and advise given. Having only been on Caribbean cruises, Alaska in July is a whole new experience!

Cathy

I'd say you're safe. I used my phone in Alaska in 2005 with no problem. I knew in advance that there would be an extra charge for minutes in Vancouver so I limited my calls there.

A funny thing about when I checked with AT&T (cingular) back in 2005- the employee I got on the phone was having a hard time finding Alaska on the international list. I didn't know what he was looking for and when he finally took me off hold and told me I would be fine, that Alaska was covered as part of the U.S. I laughed. He seriously didn't realize that Alaska wasn't a separate country. :rolleyes:

You can add their international roaming plan for $5-6 for the month and it will cut the per minute cost of calls to/from Canada, then remove it the next month. I have heard if you remove it before the billing cycle it can go back and charge the regular rates. I used mine a couple times in the Caribbean and was surprised how expensive it can get.

Archived