Carnival excursions for Grand Cayman

gkrnjlr

We're traveling with our 9 month old daughter and are torn between two excursions. Trying to get input from others who have been on either or both of these excursions.

Best of Cayman Tour

OR

The Trolley Roger

Any input?

Thanks!

We were on the Triumph (our first visit to GC) and we did the island tour. Our tour was in an air-conditioned van that probably seated 20 people or so. The trolley is an open-air vehicle. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

For our tour we drove past 7MB, the Governor's Mansion (we stopped, didn't get out of the van), then we went to Hell (you get out and walk around), stopped at the old shell house (you stay in the van), went to the turtle farm and walked around a bit with a guide, and then went to the Tortuga Rum cake shop. This was back in 2003, so I don't know if this is still what they do or not.

We've not done the Trolley Roger, but we've seen it around the island. Here's what I found on the Trolley Roger. If this is their only route then the TR tour goes to different locations than the Carnival island tour.

The Trolley Roger

Permission to come aboard and bring your wee ones too for a swashbuckling tour of the highlights of Georgetown! The adventure begins as a guide meets guests at the pier and directs them to an awaiting trolley. Then it's time to sit back, relax and enjoy a leisurely ride through Georgetown as the guide relates entertaining history of the island and its colorful past. Guests will pass areas where original Caymanian style mixes with the heart of Cayman Island's financial district. The unique open air trolley (the "Trolley Roger") will take the group past many of the 600 banks (off shore banking, anyone?), side-by-side with some of the oldest buildings in Grand Cayman, the central park area and the statue of Grand Cayman's very own national hero, Mr. Jim Bodden.

The group will go to the beautiful residential area of South Sound, where guests will see the intricate decoration of old-time Caymanian houses, nestled amongst a myriad of tropical Caribbean flowers and trees. The group will delight at hearing the entertaining and interesting history of the islands and some of the residents, Mrs. Keppie, the McTaggarts, the Thompsons, and, of course, tales of some of the more notorious early visitors like Sir Francis Drake, Blackbeard and the legends of their hidden treasure.

After a short stop at the Cayman Islanders´ favorite beach, Smith's Cove, the journey continues along the scenic coastal road towards ´Hog Sty Bay´ and the harbor area, passing McCoy's Villa where guests will have the chance to take a photo of this immaculately restored house. The tour ends in the center of Georgetown, where guests can pick up some "booty" of their own at the nearby shops or return to the nearby cruise ship terminal.

If being in an air-conditioned vehicle is a preference, then I'd take the Carnival tour. The Trolley Roger tour is going to take you to a part of the island that's not overrun with tourists. The bulk of the island tours seem to do the route we did (the Carnival island tour). Hell is really nothing but a bunch of rocks and a gift shop, and the turtle farm is fun to see, but our kids were older when we did this. Your daughter isn't old enough to probably care one way or the other about this.

If you want rum cakes, there's a Tortuga place right in the port area (just off to the right).

Have a good time whatever you do! :)

Cruise is in September, so I would think that the air conditioned tour would be more appealing - unless there's a nice breeze that would be blowing to keep us fairly cool on the Trolley Roger.

Was there a breeze that you recall?

It sounds like Hell is overrated, but the turtle farm sounds fun!

Thanks for your help!

We've never been to GC in September (we usually go in Jan/Feb), but I'd imagine the temp would be in the upper 80's or so. As for wind, it's hard to say...there could be a breeze or there could be none. It could also shower on you. When we're there in the winter, it seems like there was a shower about every afternoon. The showers didn't disrupt anything we were doing...because they came in and blew out pretty quickly.

I guess if you're not partial to one form of transportation over the other, and you've never been to GC, then you might consider the Carnival excursion. It will take you to all the main tourist spots. The turtle farm is new, and we've only been to the gift shop there...so I don't know what it looks like. Hell isn't that big of a deal, but we've done it a few times. I have the usual souvenir items from there. :)

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you'll have more time to get out and walk around on the Carnival excursion, than the Trolley Roger excursion. Since you have a baby with you, it might be nice to walk around a bit. My kids tended to get antsy sitting too long in one place, especially at that age. And if by chance it's a rainy day, then you'll be inside an enclosed vehicle, which would be nice.

When we took our kids to the turtle farm (this was at the old location), they had an area where you could hold the turtles. This made for a real cute pictures. I think we used that for a Christmas card that year.

At the port area, there's also a "Welcome to the Cayman Islands" sign. I'm not sure if that exactly what it says, but it's a white sign...and we took pictures with our kids in front of the sign. I try and do that with all the places we go with the kids.

Am I reading it right that you'd lean towards the Trolley Roger? Both excursions being considered are through Carnival.

They both seem pretty good!

Thanks for your input!

Am I reading it right that you'd lean towards the Trolley Roger? Both excursions being considered are through Carnival.

They both seem pretty good!

Thanks for your input!

I looked at the Carnival site and it looks like the Best of Cayman is the exact tour we took.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you (I do that a lot!), but I didn't catch that both were Carnival excursions. After reading what you said, I was leaning toward doing the Best of Cayman...sorry I wasn't very clear with my post. I think either tour would be fun, but if you want to see Hell and the turtles, then I'd do the Best of Cayman tour. Hell isn't much, but it's fun to go there at least once.

The Trolley Roger tour is going to take you to the opposite side of the island as 7MB, and it sounds like you only get out to walk around at Smith's Cove. There's nothing at Smith's Cove. It's beautiful, but there are no services.

So, since this is your first visit there, I'd probably do the Best of Cayman. It's in an air-conditioned van and you're going to stop at 3 places and get out to walk around (the Turtle Farm, Hell & Tortuga Rum Cakes). The new turtle farm has a big gift shop and a snack bar. And if it's hot the day you're visiting GC, you'll probably appreciate the air-conditioned van, and the air conditioning at the three stops that you'll be getting off the van to tour. :)

Depending on how long you're in port, you could have lunch in town and do a little shopping after the tour.

Sold! I think we'll try the Best of Cayman tour! It does sound like it shows us a lot of stuff, plus the a/c would be appealing in the middle of summer in the caribbean!

It helps to hear things from others who have been there already!

Thanks so much for your help!

Have a wonderful time! I'm glad I was able to help you. The Best of Cayman tour will take you to the most popular attractions on the island. It's something we did on our first visit. :)

We also did this tour through Carnival so we'd be the first off the ship. That will give you extra time on the island. Your day will go by pretty quickly.

One more thing...

If you eat lunch on the island, make sure and look at your bill. Most likely the tip will already be included. We missed that the first time we were there and double-tipped. You can also ask the server how much your ticket is in USD and they'll either write it on, or some have registers that automatically print this on the ticket for you.

Archived