Cruising with a 9 month old....

gkrnjlr

Any pointers you can give that I may not have thought of?

We took a cruise before she was born with her brothers, but this time the brothers are staying home and it's just mom, dad and daughter! I've never taken such a young child on a cruise.

Any pointers?

Thanks!

We returned in April on a 7 night sailing on the Glory with our then 11 month old son. It was an Awesome cruise.

My biggest mistake...I OVERPACKED! Not by a little either. For 3 of us, we had 9 pieces of luggage. He didn't drink powdered formula, so 50 jars of formula, even more baby food (he didn't eat a lot of solids), toys, diapers, pack n play, etc.... I'll never pack that much again! :)

We're sailing in Ocotober, and I'm limiting it to 3 bags.

I know for most everyone it's common sense to not take a lot of luggage. For me, I felt like I NEEDED everything...and of course I didn't!!!

I'm not sure about 9 months old, but at 11 months, my son LOVED watching his baby Einstein movies on the portable DVD player. We also played his naptime CD's with the same DVD player. That's the first thing we're packing for the next one!

The other packing lists on this board are a huge help too!

Have a great cruise!

Thank goodness our daughter drinks the powdered formula! I can't imagine what you went through having to pack so much formula in little jars! We JUST weaned, so I'm not sure how many cans she'll go through in a week.....but I'd rather pack too much than not enough!

I hadn't even thought about the Einstein dvds on a portable player. So far we haven't shown her the movies but she's entralled with toys and such, so that's a good idea and it'd keep her busy! Thanks for the idea!

Curious....how many diapers did you pack for the trip?

Thanks for all the pointers!

I also found that our son didn't eat as much as usual on our cruise. He was way too interested in checking out his new digs to be sitting still for a whole meal of solids. Easily eaten foods were a big bonus. Also, having snacks like Gerber puffs or Cheerios for him to play/munch during meal times was a good thing, because it kept him occupied during the meal.

We found in most restaurants on the ship we were on (NCL Pearl), it was fairly noisy, so a toy that lit up and played music because an OK distraction option during meal times. I thought it would be a problem because it would annoy other passengers, but it was too noisy with conversation in the restaurants for them to hear his toy, let alone be annoyed by it. Still, we also brought quiet toys in case those would have been a better choice.

I'd recommend changing him in the terminal before you go to check in and bringing a change of clothes for yourself in your carry-on. Jim's diaper reached critical mass as we were waiting to board and ended up leaking on poor DH. Luckily our luggage arrived shortly after we embarked, because DH needed a change of clothes and so did Jim! But on some cruise lines you can't go to your cabin right away, in which case you can't get to your luggage. Hence it being a good idea to have a change of clothes with you!

I overpacked diapers too...LOL :D

We took about 75 diapers for 11 days. We had a bag of swimmies and used 3-4 total. We also took an overnight diaper for each night of the cruise. We had about 15 diapers leftover. I'm guessing I didn't change him as much as his scheduled day care diaper changes when I counted the number to take.

Also, They had boxes of cheerios at the Lido deck pool almost daily. They didn't have boxes at the inside buffet, just open bowls of cheerios. If you don't find any inside, be sure to check by the pool at the breaksfast bar.

I always pack a change of clothes (and a bathing suit) in my roll on. I would take one or two favorite toys and 'hide' them, so that when you get on board it will be like a new toy. Make sure you bring otc meds for babies - most ships don't carry infant strenght otc meds, and if baby gets an ear infection at 3 am you want that motrin available!!!

Thanks for all the great advice!

As for diapers...I think I'd rather overpack than to run out! Do they even sell those things onboard?

We're flying down and are allowed 1 bag for each of us....not to include the baby. We could always pay extra for more luggage, but I think we'll be able to do it with just two LARGE bags!

Thanks!

In regards to formula, bring some ziplock bags so that you can pre measure a serving into them for when you are going to be on a shore excursion, or just out and about on the ship.

In regards to both diapers and formula, try not to over pack. A can of formula will probably last you all week. Our best game plan is usually to figure out which port of call is going to offer an accessible supermarket. We pack enough formula/food/diapers to get to that port of call and then take the time to shop for what we need there. Even if we just stop on the way to the ship to get what we need. It cuts down on the "lugging" of stuff.

Cozumel, San Juan and any American port will offer this. We even had the opportunity to shop in Honduras. Really, any taxi driver will happily take you to the supermarket, and wait for you to make your purchases.

Also, consider planning ahead and arranging with the ship to provide pureed baby food for your baby, instead of lugging a bunch of jarred food on board with you. The only jarred food we brought was enough for the times we expected to be away from the ship, on excursions, etc.

Also, another thing that comes in handy, pack everything in a collapsible bag so that you can pack the bag for the trip home if you don't need the space. I know RCCL sells nylon collapsible totes on board. I love mine. I've had it for 10 years.

Thanks for all the great advice!

As for diapers...I think I'd rather overpack than to run out! Do they even sell those things onboard?

We're flying down and are allowed 1 bag for each of us....not to include the baby. We could always pay extra for more luggage, but I think we'll be able to do it with just two LARGE bags!

Thanks!

If you are doing the traditional western caribbean itinerary, you can shop for everything you need in Cozumel. I even think Carnival ships dock really close to the supermarket.

I want to call the supermarket a "gigante" but I know that's not right...it's a "cheddrari"

I know for a fact that there is infant formula in the pharmacy section of that store. We have gotten some there before. Don't go to the regular baby section, that is all nutritional supplemental stuff. You go to the pharmacy, and use the pharmacy register to check out. Grab diapers there too. Sippy cups, bibs, babyfood, sun block, etc.

With the number of bags allowed to be checked on airlines being limited, it helps to be able to have this as an option.

Is it the same brand of formula that I'll find here? Enfamil, for example?

Also, diapers....are they the same sizes or written in English so we can understand what we're reading? (We don't read/speak Spanish)

One more question....how did you arrange ahead of time for them to have pureed food for the baby? Was this with Carnival? I hadn't even thought of that!

Thanks for your help!

Also, diapers....are they the same sizes or written in English so we can understand what we're reading? (We don't read/speak Spanish)

One more question....how did you arrange ahead of time for them to have pureed food for the baby? Was this with Carnival? I hadn't even thought of that!

Thanks for your help!

I have never sailed with Carnival, so I cant answer the baby food question from experience. Hopefully others will respond with their baby food/carnival experience.

I would email carnival and ask if they provide "soft or pureed foods" for special needs diets (i.e. people whom have dentures). Dont specify that it is for an infant because sometimes cruise lines balk at "making baby food".

The supermarket is called "chedraui"

http://www.chedraui.com.mx

Shopping Details

Chedraui (shay-drah-wee) is Cozumel's largest and most modern grocery/department store conveniently located at the south end of San Miguel at the beginning of the Southern Hotel Zone. In the food section you have an excellent selection of dry goods, spirits, fresh produce, meats and freshly baked breads and pastries. A pharmacy, household goods, clothing, personal care products, car parts, furniture and hardware make up the remainder of the store. A great place to stock up and fill that kitchenette in your room. A Mexican chain with locations across the country, Chedraui can be compared to a mini Wal-Mart. Phone: (987) 872-3655

Unfortunately it looks like their website is down :(

Yes, both the diapers and the formula will be easily recognizable. Huggies are huggies, same box color/layout. The formula is "Enfamilo" (Enfamil).

Just remember to go to the pharmacy section of the store. Once you walk into the store, the pharmacy section is on the left wall.

If this makes you nervous, you could always email the companies (Huggies, enfamil and gerber) and ask them if the brands are carried in Chedraui and what the names of the mexican brands are.

Also, if you have the time, you could always pick everything up in your port of departure, before you leave.

That's what we're planning to do when we fly to San Francisco for our cruise. We'll be staying a couple nights before the cruise so we should have time to hit a grocery/drug store for whatever we need.

Thanks for your help!

The Enfamil (or any other product) marketed to Mexico or another country may be different than the US version. I would not want a baby with an upset stomach so buy in US ports only. You can get single serve packets of enfamil that are great for travel and excursions. No mess, no fuss. No upset stomach due to a different formulation.

Call your travel agent or PCP....there is a number to fax your request to for "special meals". At 9 months, steamed vege's and ground, scrambled meat (turkey, chicken, beef) will be availbable. Some children are further ahead eating wise, some slower. I think you need to make your request at least 30 days ahead.

Have a wonderful trip!

Barbara

The Enfamil (or any other product) marketed to Mexico or another country may be different than the US version. I would not want a baby with an upset stomach so buy in US ports only. You can get single serve packets of enfamil that are great for travel and excursions. No mess, no fuss. No upset stomach due to a different formulation.

Call your travel agent or PCP....there is a number to fax your request to for "special meals". At 9 months, steamed vege's and ground, scrambled meat (turkey, chicken, beef) will be availbable. Some children are further ahead eating wise, some slower. I think you need to make your request at least 30 days ahead.

Have a wonderful trip!

Barbara

Actually, the "Enfamilio" can made it home with us. We compared ingredients to the Similac can that we had in the house. Of course we were curious. Same quantities of the same stuff!

Actually, the "Enfamilio" can made it home with us. We compared ingredients to the Similac can that we had in the house. Of course we were curious. Same quantities of the same stuff!

An ingredient list only lists in order of magnitude, doesn't list quantity in the US. It does list percentage of RDA - that's not a qty. I don't recall if Mexican products list quantity.

If you go to Enfamil website for instance, the website is for country of origin - ie the US, since the specs for all countries are different.

Did you know, for instance that KRAFT products (as an example) are different for the UK than the US? In the UK and europe , they use only natural food colors, in the US they use chemical food colorings.

Mexican pharmacy drugs are different than the US. Do you really trust that they are the same for your infant formula?

Just food for thought...

BTW- Mexican production standards are vastly different than the US - do you really trust that for your child? Having worked for companies with multi-national production, persoanlly I wouldn't trust it for my child.

Just food for thought......

An ingredient list only lists in order of magnitude, doesn't list quantity in the US. It does list percentage of RDA - that's not a qty. I don't recall if Mexican products list quantity.

If you go to Enfamil website for instance, the website is for country of origin - ie the US, since the specs for all countries are different.

Did you know, for instance that KRAFT products (as an example) are different for the UK than the US? In the UK and europe , they use only natural food colors, in the US they use chemical food colorings.

Mexican pharmacy drugs are different than the US. Do you really trust that they are the same for your infant formula?

Just food for thought...

BTW- Mexican production standards are vastly different than the US - do you really trust that for your child? Having worked for companies with multi-national production, persoanlly I wouldn't trust it for my child.

Just food for thought......

Actually, the list of percentages and the list of ingredients for the formula we got in Mexico matched up almost verbatim with the can we purchased in America. There were slight differences, but nothing major. DH made sure to check.

DS ate it and was fine. Like I said, we brought it home and he finished it, no problemo.

Again, all of this can be checked out prior to departure. But I am sure that OP really appreciates you putting her on alert.

I bet that the can is neat since it's written in Spanish, too!

I'm guessing that we'll need one or two cans max of formula and possibly 1 large pack of diapers. That should all fit into a suitcase but then as we are on the trip we'll figure out if we need more!

All the info is helpful here, thanks!

Curious....why is baby formula in the pharmacy in Mexico? Interesting.

I bet that the can is neat since it's written in Spanish, too!

I'm guessing that we'll need one or two cans max of formula and possibly 1 large pack of diapers. That should all fit into a suitcase but then as we are on the trip we'll figure out if we need more!

All the info is helpful here, thanks!

Curious....why is baby formula in the pharmacy in Mexico? Interesting.

I got the feeling that the formula was in the "pharamcia" section of the store in order to keep it safer from theft. Formula is expensive, as we all know. The cans are easily swept into larger purses. On that note, any large bags or backpacks are going to have to be checked before you can enter the store. Again, to keep theft down.

I also suggest that you dump your formula into a large ziplock bag instead of toting the can with you. For extra protection, you can always double ziplock it and slide it into a pant leg. Dont forget the scoop. It just might be easier to lug....

Happy Sailing!

We cruised with our 9 month old in May and had a blast, I can send you our packing list if you want it. We were on RCL so I don't know the difference between Carnival but when it came to pureeing food they would only do it in the main dining room so we were on our own for breakfast and lunch to figure out how to mash it. Personally I had taken more then enough food with us and I have a travel food mill so it worked out.

Things I loved having:

*RayShade (if you haven't heard of this it is an extended canopy for your stroller, wonderful for out in the sun but just as great for taking naps and going to dinner we could pull it far down and he was covered so he would sleep well while we were out)

*Boon Spoon (self loaded spoon, great for on the beach)

*Aerodome (beach tent)

*Toys, Toys, Toys (DS doesn't watch tv so we took a lot of small toys and a pop up hamper for the cabin that we stuck them in when not in use, blow-up toys were great since they were easy to pack)

*Hotsling (any baby carrier is great)

*MP3 player with travel speaker (all his music loaded, he loves his sleep music)

*Disposable bids, changing pads, placemats, and spoons

With the suggestion of traveling with the formula in a ziplock bag....is that for making it more convenient for traveling or is there another reason? I don't have a problem with the can, but we were thinking that we may just buy SEVERAL boxes of the individual servings that do 4oz. at a time and then we just rip it open each time we need to make a bottle or something.

Sabbie, yes, I'd love to have your packing list! If you wouldn't mind emailing it to me that'd be great! Thanks! My email is gregandjena@sc.rr.com

Thanks!

yes if you dont mine e-mail me also i am traveling with a then 12 month old he will just be turning 12 months and this is my first cruise with a child and we will be on RCC!!! Liz@pearls.com

What do people recommened stroller little stoller or big stroller hubby does not want to lug a big stroller through the airport or cruise and i feel DS will be better off in there, though i have my parents and inlaws going to!!!! My son is 10 months now and he is such a go happy baby so i am wondering on certain things also, we took 2nd seating due to our schedule JT eats at 4 (bottle) then at about 6:30 (food) so i figured id we did late seating it would be great go to the cabing 6ish bath him feed him nap then he usually wakes up about 730ish then we would be ready to go to dinner and his bottle is at 930, but i am going to ask the doctor i would like to start him on enfimal neext step so i would keep him on formula intil we came back from the cruise, i just worry about him getting sick with certain foods anyone ever give there child nextstep???

We took a cruise last year and took our 2 and 3 year old boys on it and took a small stroller. I honestly did NOT like having the small stroller at all. It did have a small basket on the bottom, but a stroller is a stroller and regardless of size it's still going to be "in the way" for some people. My opinion is that you may as well have the big "comfy" one that will have the cup holder and basket on bottom.

My husband wants to take the small stroller for our daughter this time (boys are staying with Grandma during this cruise) but I am opting for the larger.

I'm curious as to what others have for input on this.

Jennifer

Actually, the list of percentages and the list of ingredients for the formula we got in Mexico matched up almost verbatim with the can we purchased in America. There were slight differences, but nothing major. DH made sure to check.

DS ate it and was fine. Like I said, we brought it home and he finished it, no problemo.

Again, all of this can be checked out prior to departure. But I am sure that OP really appreciates you putting her on alert.

Glad that the differences in the formula didn't effect your child's tummy on your trip.

Many children are so sensitive to changes in their diet. Mine has a cast iron stomach also, many babies do not.

Happy Sailing!

With the suggestion of traveling with the formula in a ziplock bag....is that for making it more convenient for traveling or is there another reason? I don't have a problem with the can, but we were thinking that we may just buy SEVERAL boxes of the individual servings that do 4oz. at a time and then we just rip it open each time we need to make a bottle or something.

Sabbie, yes, I'd love to have your packing list! If you wouldn't mind emailing it to me that'd be great! Thanks! My email is gregandjena@sc.rr.com

Thanks!

Yes, just to make it "lighter" to travel with, and the gallon sized ziplock bag will take up less room. Individual servings are extremely handy to have. I just pre measured my "individual servings" into sandwich style ziplock bags to take with us. If you are mindful, and keep track of "used" sandwich sized ziplocks, you can re use them and you really only need to bring about 15 bags for a 7 night trip. Less if you are REALLY mindful! :D But I dont know if being "Really mindful" and having a toddler work in the same breath....

Archived