euros dollars or pounds on independance

I've been reading mixed remarks regarding the currency used on board independance this season from Southampton, could anyone advise. Can't wait only 5 weeks to go. Yipee

The IndependEnce is US$ - exactly the same as all RCI ships.

I sailed on her a few weeks ago and its like all royal caribbean ships, dollars on board - cashless system via your credit or debit card. You'll of course need plenty of euros for all the ports.

We have just sailed on her in May and we bought dollars before we went and put them on our sea pass when we boarded as we got a good rate of exchange through a travel agent (much better rate than you would get through your credit card or RCI rate). Anything over the amount we put on we did use our credit card but it was minimal.

Have a fantastic cruise. I am jealous!

We have just sailed on her in May and we bought dollars before we went and put them on our sea pass when we boarded as we got a good rate of exchange through a travel agent (much better rate than you would get through your credit card or RCI rate).

I would be very surprised if the rate was better than my Nationwide credit card, providing you make sure RCI charge in Dollars and don't convert.

Mick.

I would be very surprised if the rate was better than my Nationwide credit card, providing you make sure RCI charge in Dollars and don't convert.

Mick.

Nationwide do give a good rate so you may be right, though I got our dollars through travelex (I dont pay commission as am airline staff). I just know that the rate I get with my Mastercard when I buy things abroad in dollars is worse than when I get dollars from travelex.

Mickg

I have given up fighting RCCL on the question of Converting Sea Pass accounts to currency of the card issuer. It doesn't seem to matter that you sign NOT to have RCCl convert your account or that you check during the cruise it still gets converted at a dreadfull rate of exchange, or it has for me. I now pay my on board account in cash.

One of the pleasurable benefits of this is that we seem to spend much less than previously !, might be something to do with always being aware that I must stay within the amount of dollars I have with me.

Incidentally you can get back any perceived loss by RCCL converting your account against your wishes by writing to RCCL UK. However it is a labourious process so I no longer bother.

luv

Cy:)

Nationwide do give a good rate so you may be right, though I got our dollars through travelex (I dont pay commission as am airline staff). I just know that the rate I get with my Mastercard when I buy things abroad in dollars is worse than when I get dollars from travelex.

Nationwide/Post office credit card do not charge the foreign exchange conversion fee that other CC do. The new Abbey Zero card is also conversion fee free and also does not charge for cash withdrawals when abroad!!:):)

Archived