What did you think of Mexican Riviera / Diamond Princess Cruise.

Funcouple

My wife recently returned from her trip.

Ports of call (PV, Mazatlan, & Cabo San Lucas) -- enjoyed all.

Ship Rooms: She felt the room was a bit on the small side (ocean view)

Service: OK

Food: Dining room was great

Ship in General: layout a bit confusing -- not easy to get from front to back.

Clean,

Ship Disco: Fun place, great tunes, late nights

Disembarkation: Not organized well. She got wrong color tags and ended up getting off of the ship way too late in order to meet her flight out of LAX. Be diligent and get off when your gut tells you to, espcially if you need to catch a flight.

Highlights in ports:

Cabo: Water Taxi from Marina ($12/person) to Los Archos & lovers beach, Margharitaville (great Miami Vice drinks, $$$$), Lots of roaming sales guys (sorry to see so many little kids selling little things),

PV: Hired taxi for the day toured to Hoya miss LaHoya (spelling??), really cool and away from the crowd.

Mazatlan: Golden Zone Hotel area and hung out on Hotel beaches and used their lounge chairs, cool open air taxis.

What did you think of your trip?

I'd be glad to hear more information from her. I'm also going alone (without DH) with my mom. When you took the water taxi to Lovers' beach, was it $12 round trip, or one way? Were you rushed on time getting back for the tender?

What exactly is the Golden Zone hotel area? Did you need to take a cab there? How much? Which hotel did you hang out at?

Thanks for any help - I'll let you know how it goes after ours in Dec!

I just got off of this trip, and I had a great time!

My only problem was the dealy in disembarkation, we almost missed our flight. Luckily we made friends with people in the Plat/Elite Lounge, and we got one of their colored tags. (Although, I have never had them check this at the gangway ever in the past). But I do realize that while Princess could have explained things better over the PA system, and offered apologies for the delay, ultimatly it is customs fault for the delay. When i went to the Purser's desk to ask about getting off earlier, I was told that I should have gotten red tags for early flights. but I explained our flight was after 2pm, where their official cutoff for "early" flights is 1pm, so that would probably not have done me any good anyway. Normally I love being the last off of the ship! But this cut it kind of close. On the other hand, embarkation was smooth and utterly flawless for us!

I have done this intinerary before, and like the Carribbean much better. I was only going on this for the ship (my third time on the Diamond). I obviously love this class of ships, so it should be no surprise I loved it all! As far as getting around the ship, I find it quite easy, as long as you utlize the deck 7 promenade deck. That is your avenue to getting around. :-) Although the international dining room can be tricky, but once you get it figured out its not a big deal!

PV, too hot, so we wandered around town for an hour or so. DH golfed in Cabo and mazatlan, i stayed on the ship in Mazatlan and enjoyed the empty spa and deck areas! Cabo I just got off briefly as well. No tours for me, but DH really enjoyed the golf!

We had an inside on the Plaza deck, and the room was exactly what I expected. While the rooms could be considered small, I think it is pretty typical for a cruise ship. Also, Princess gets major Kudos for large closets and lots of shelves, in all of the staterooms. Thats a huge plus in my book!

I just booked the Sept 2005 Med cruise on the Grand. I am so excited already!

Casey

PS - I thought the food was excellent, as was the service for me. I was disapoointed in Sterling, the food was fine, but I didnt like how the feed you in a row of tables for two. One night we only wanted 2 courses, but we still had to eventually wait for all fours sets of 2 to be on the same page as us. So after we were done with our salad, we had to wait for all of the entrees to come out, instead of getting out of there sooner. That was kind of a bummer, but Santa Fe was FABULOUS! Much less busy, and we were sitting all alone so we could be on our own schedule.

Rember to use these reports as a guideline. Always verify and check with your travel agent for confirmation -- good t/a's should have lots of first hand info for you

When you took the water taxi to Lovers' beach, was it $12 round trip, or one way? Were you rushed on time getting back for the tender?

$12 round trip. :45 boat tour around town/los archos/ then they drop you at lovers beach -- you can stay for as long as you want, then they come back and take you back to the marina (tender boats). But never rushed.

What exactly is the Golden Zone hotel area? Did you need to take a cab there? How much? Which hotel did you hang out at?

It's the nice area in Mazatlan where all of the beautiful hotels are. Yes, took a $10 a/c cab one way. Found a $5 open air cab back. Be sure to negotiate BEFORE you sit in the cab. As for the hotel, we don't remember the name.

PS - I was disapoointed in Sterling, the food was fine, but I didnt like how the feed you in a row of tables for two. One night we only wanted 2 courses, but we still had to eventually wait for all fours sets of 2 to be on the same page as us. So after we were done with our salad, we had to wait for all of the entrees to come out, instead of getting out of there sooner. That was kind of a bummer, but Santa Fe was FABULOUS! Much less busy, and we were sitting all alone so we could be on our own schedule.

Keep in mind that on all other Princess ships, the Sterling Restaurant has a cover charge. The Diamond and one other are the only ships in the fleet where the Sterling comes free and is on a much larger scale than on other ships, therefore you sacrifice the "quaintness" and the "upscale service".

Did you try Sabatinis? This one has an upcharge of $20/p/p but much more intimate and individulaized service -- eat at your own pace.

My question is... in p.c. dinning rooms on Diamond P. are the ONLY tables for two aganst the wall and close togather? We are not small people, I am "fluffy" and D.H. is just BIG, and we would hate being crammed togater with other couples no matter how nice they are. Should we go for a larger table? We really like it to be "just us" for dinner. Any of you have an answer?

I have done other Sterlings on ships other than the Diamond and the Sapphire, and it definalty is a different experience. I think the problem was that the Sterling was just so much more busy on the Diamond, we had no problems with the other restaurants. They spaced us out a little bit better and made it more personal, less assembly line.

We didnt try Sabbatinis, I dislike seafood greatly, and the menu has alot of that on it!! but I heard it was amazing!

Raysue - I think there were other tables for two, i remember seeing some in Santa Fe for sure, not against the wall. I would just scope it out in advance, and you could ask for some specific tables situations. When I was onthe Diamond a few weeks earlier, they were very accomodating with our requests for a larger table, we wanted to scoot a stroller closer to us.

Casey

There are a few tables for 2 scattered throughout the PC dining rooms. Most of them are along the walls and are way too close together. My suggestion would be to walk through the dining room and pick out the table you want, and then ask for it specifically in your reservation. We had huge problems with this, until we found the perfect table in Pacific Moon (table 436 for us). Most tables are along the wall. My review talks in detail about dining on the Diamond...

I was on the Diamond on September 25th.

I am in agreement with all the positive points already posted. Food great, balcony worth every penney, disembarkation a bit disorganized.

However, I will add that if you are single, aside from the shows and lounge activities offered there is nothing happening. I checked out the "disco" at 12:30 a.m. and there were maybe 8 people in the club. I walked from lounge to lounge and most people were in couples. I "personally" found the Mexican Rivera cruise a sleeper for singles (between 25 - 45) in comparison to the Grand the last two years in the Caribbean. Honestly, Princess has quite a party going on in the Caribbean. Maybe the majority of singles crusing are going to the Caribbean. This was my first Mexican Rivera cruise, however, I have cruised 12 other times to the Caribbean out of Florida. Or, maybe it was simply the time of the year???

I believe so long as you go on board knowing that Princess still pretty much draws couples you can still have a good cruise as I did.

Cruising Princess again as soon as I decide where I want to go.

I "personally" found the Mexican Rivera cruise a sleeper for singles (between 25 - 45) in comparison to the Grand the last two years in the Caribbean. Honestly, Princess has quite a party going on in the Caribbean. Maybe the majority of singles crusing are going to the Caribbean. This was my first Mexican Rivera cruise, however, I have cruised 12 other times to the Caribbean out of Florida. Or, maybe it was simply the time of the year???

Princesa, do you use a travel agent? Before you book a cruise do you get advice about the "makeup" of the clients on the ships? Travel agents should have a strong knowledge of the type of cruise it is and the age brackets of the clients and also whether it's for the singles lifestyle or not.

These types of things tend to vary from ship to ship rather than cruise line to cruise line. Perhaps cruise line to cruise line (in a general way) when you start comparing $1500 cruise fare lines to $4,000+ cruise fare lines. BUT, not only ship to ship but the itinerary makes a big difference as well. Alaska cruises (while amazing and beautiful and well worth the trip) would be considered sleepers to someone who's looking for the "party hardy" lifestyle of a carribean cruise.

Again, all stuff that your local Travel Agent should be able to help you out with.

bcs819 - In the southwest DR there is a table for two that is behind a low wall just past inside the DR. If you don't get one you and can ask for a chair without arms. This will make your dining more enjoyable.

Sterlings' tables for two run along the center wall but are divided into groups of 3. We were able to have a private talk and not hear the people next to us if they spoke and a normal volume.

We are on the Diamond again in Nov. 04. This is my third time and my DW's fourth. Embarkation is very easy. Disembarkation is easy for the people who have cars there or are being picked up. The hard part is always when you get off and are in the terminal looking for your bagage. everyone forgets how to be nice like they were on board the ship. When we dock, at about 6am, in San Pedro, we are normally off of the ship and on the road by 8:30. The people who have a Princess transfer must go with instructions and times of Princess.

For us, we like the Diamond Class ships the best.

Gipper! That is the table I was picturing in my mind when i responded earlier! (In Santa fe). That is so funny!

Some parts of Sterlings run in groups of four, and that makes it even that more scrunched up! Definatly check out where you want to be. There is a nice little nook with a table for two and a table for four as you walk in it is wrapped around to the left - as if it were literally next to the maitr'D stand but separted by a wall. Check that out! It is where we ended up with the stroller.

We were told that this crazy disembarkation had been happening in just the past few weeks, so maybe it was an blip in the normal plans. But this last Saturday, I dont think they even called the first set of numbers until 9AM, and then it was "Yellow 1"...(the a 20-30 minute wait)..."Yellow 2"...(20-30 min), ect. Normally I hear "Yellow 1,2,3 & 4 - Proceed to the gangplank". My 16th cruise, and it was the craziest thing I had ever seen!

seattle - I'm glad to hear that about the disembarkation. On our recent Voyager trip, we were trying to catch a flight. RCCL assured us there'd be more than enough time for a 4pm, we booked a 5:15pm. (This is out of NJ, with later arrival). Supposed to arrive 10, actually did around 11:30, LONG time for customs - probably because we'd had an altered itinerary due to the hurricanes. First pax called at about 2:45. Order was white tags (Elite type and express/carry your luggage), then 3 lavender colors. We were the first lavender color and thought we'd be off quickly. Well, they promptly called white, all lavender, green and orange. Suddenly 1000 pax trying to get off and those of us with flights were of no importance. Not that they checked tickets anyways! We did make our flight, running to the gate at 5:10, honestly. I did write that in my review - why have 15 colors, then call 10 at once?

Funcouple - could you see where the water taxis were in Cabo right from where you got off the tender? Was it a mess trying to get on an early tender? Thanks again for help!

I am on the Diamond right now and LOVE THIS SHIP!! Not sure why folks have so many challenges with the dining. We have had no problem making reservations and eating when we want and in the dining room we want. And I have never seen long lines at any of the DR's.

The internet cafe is very cool, the Wheelhouse bar is beautiful, all of the DR's are decorated very nicely, service overall has been good. The back of the ship is nice because the disco does not cover it.

I really really like this ship. Was on the CB earlier this year and definitely notice how the extra 500 passenger make it more crowded. Food is good, weather excellent.

I will write more when I get back. Not sure when or if I will make it back to Internet cafe.

So far this is my favorite Princess ship -- and you can see that I have been onn a bunch of them!

Till later -- :D

Princesa, do you use a travel agent? Before you book a cruise do you get advice about the "makeup" of the clients on the ships? Travel agents should have a strong knowledge of the type of cruise it is and the age brackets of the clients and also whether it's for the singles lifestyle or not.

These types of things tend to vary from ship to ship rather than cruise line to cruise line. Perhaps cruise line to cruise line (in a general way) when you start comparing $1500 cruise fare lines to $4,000+ cruise fare lines. BUT, not only ship to ship but the itinerary makes a big difference as well. Alaska cruises (while amazing and beautiful and well worth the trip) would be considered sleepers to someone who's looking for the "party hardy" lifestyle of a carribean cruise.

Again, all stuff that your local Travel Agent should be able to help you out with.

Hi FunCouple,

As you read, this was not my first Princess cruise and therefore I had a pretty good idea of the demographics considering the late cruise date of September 25th. I/we booked the cruise because I/we wanted to cruise the new "Diamond Princess" and going to Mexico was the only way to experience this ship in a warm climate. Also, I am not one looking for a cruise line that offers the "single lifestyle" or "party hardy" type of cruise. I did my homework and was fully aware of the possibilities -- nothing was happening for singles the week of September 25th. Along for the cruise were one single 18, 23, 25, 28, 40, 45, 46 & 49 year old and we all concur on this verdict. Please do not miss understand, as a group we had a fantastic time. Also, as a point of reference, in years past, I have traveled on Carnival, HAL, RCCL and for the last three cruises Princess -- "Where I Belong".

In the spirit of this Board, I was only doing my part in sharing my experience and therefore attempting to help single travelers make a different calendar or destination choice if intending to travel with Princess.

Hello Princesa,

I think that you hit it on the head -- the September 25 timing perhaps limited the single crowd from the sailing. In addition, maybe it is the Carribean that gets the lion share of that particular crowd..??

I was on The Dawn Princess in June 2003 and I found the Food, Service, Ship design, balcony room, disembarkation, etc. all to be excellent.

cnmiranda - We have docked in San Pedro 6 times over the past 4 years and every time the ship has arrived at about 6am. The last time we were there was in march on the Diamond. People started to disembark about 8 am. The time for disembarktion will depend on all passengers paying their bills and Customs/Emigration giving clearance. We will be on the Diamond soon and I hope that nothing has changed. But with the times we live in, you must be ready for changes. I hope this is of some help.

Can anyone tell me what time the ship arrived in port and what time disembarkation began? Thanks so much for your insight:)

On October 2nd, the Diamond Princess arrived into San Pedro on schedule. If I remember correctly the ship was cleared by customes at approximately 8:30 a.m. The time you disembark will depend on your flight's departure time if you are making an airport connection immediately following the cruise. My entire family was documented by Princess as living in Los Angeles. So you would think we would be the last to disembark, right?

Wrong! Three of us were allowed off at 9:10 a.m. (aka Yellow 5). The next 6 family members were allowed off at 10:00 a.m. (aka Yellow 6). The remaining 5 were not allowed off until 10:45 a.m. (aka Yellow 7 & 8). By the way, we were all on the same deck. Needless to say the wait time was a drag -- but made all the better when we arrived home only 35 minutes after we all departed the terminal.

If you have made your own air arrangements, my best advice would be for you to go to Passenger Services (aka Pursuers Office) within the first day or two of the cruise and make sure that Princess is fully aware of your departure flight number and time.

Disembarkation is a finely tuned process, however, it cannot work if you do not do your part.

Good Luck!

P.S. If anyone reading this message paid a bit more and purchased their air through Princess, you have absolutely nothing to worry about as Princess already knows all the specifics about your arrangements. I did this on my first cruise with Princess and the entire fly/cruise arrangements went without so much as a hitch!

Archived