Quake in Greece

Do you think the horrible quake in Greece will be affecting ports of call this summer?

What quake in Greece? Was this recent? I haven't heard or read anything about it. The only one I see on Google is in Sept '07. If

that is the one you are referring to, I wouldn't think it would affect

the ports of call this year.

The fires they had would be more likely to affect sightseeing.

What quake in Greece? Was this recent? I haven't heard or read anything about it. The only one I see on Google is in Sept '07. If

that is the one you are referring to, I wouldn't think it would affect

the ports of call this year.

The fires they had would be more likely to affect sightseeing.

I haven't heard of any quakes in Greece either. But Greece and her islands are ALWAYS experiencing tremors. I've been to various places in Greece 12 times and half of those times have involved feeling earth tremors. The most 'trembling' of them was when we on Zakynthos/Zante. We were staying above a taverna and my husband and I were on our balcony having a drink when the tremor started. Two young and pretty English girls were staying next door. They ran out onto the balcony with just skimpy towels wrapped around them and were screaming - a bit over dramatic! My husband didn't even glance my way but went to the divider between the balconies to ask the two girls if they were okay and did they need any help from him! I could have been shook over the edge and I don't think he'd have noticed! :D

Here's a link to the story on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/06/08/greece.quake/index.html

I'm not too familiar with the geography of Greece to know how it will affect any cruises. I remember last year during the horrible fires there was very little affect on cruises, so I can only assume the same will hold true.

In the meantime, lets hold the people of Greece in our thoughts.

Well,

I'm a SFO Bay Area native...

so earthquakes are kind of blaise to me...

but a 6.1 that's about when we get off the couch and head to the doorway and away from glass...

while that wouldn't cause me A LOT of worry here...

being in Greece surrounding by centuries old buildings with

no modern building codes...I would be a tad nervous while it was going on

Well then, in answer to the OP's original question? Unless you have a stop on the Western Coast of Patras, it shouldn't affect the Eastern Med ports of Mykonos, Santorini, Athens, Olympia or Corfu.

Yes, 6.1 is pretty good tremblor. I'm surprised it hasn't been more in the news. I look on-line and watch TV, but I never heard it mentioned.

And yes, my prayers go out to the people that are injured or dead and to their families.

Report from the Guardian (UK) today

"An earthquake of 6.5 magnitude rattled vast swaths of Greece yesterday, leaving at least two dead, injuring scores, and damaging hundreds of buildings in the southern Peloponnese.

The quake, described as the most powerful in modern Greek history and felt as far away as Italy, prompted thousands of villagers to flee their homes in panic.

"It's not only that it was very strong, it lasted a very long time," an elderly villager told local television soon after the quake struck in mid-afternoon. "I was taking a siesta, but when I got out of bed I immediately fell. It was so powerful I couldn't stand on my feet."

"It was terrible," the mayor of Pyrgos, Makis Paraskevopoulos, told the state television service. "We have never lived through something like this before. It was as if the town was being flattened."

By nightfall rescue services had safely evacuated at least two extended families, including children, who were trapped in the rubble of their homes.

Such was the force of the quake that some Greeks, fearing for their lives, jumped from the balconies of their houses, hospital staff said.

The interior minister, Prokopis Pavlopoulos, said one man died instantly when the roof of his house caved in on him in the town of Kato Ahaia, near the quake's epicentre south of the western port city of Patras. A woman taken to hospital with injuries died later from a heart attack.

The mayor of ancient Olympia, Yiannis Aedonis, said that although the earth shook violently for several minutes, the sanctuary's antiquities were unscathed.

Seismologists warned of dangerous aftershocks and thousands of Greeks were last night advised to stay outdoors for the meantime, as local authorities prepared emergency measures."

Archived