Lost Canopy Tour - Carnival

Lorick93

I was actually on the very first tour they did of this. I was on a Carnival ship as the guest of my brother who was working as a musician for Carnival. They did this as a 'crew only' tour to test it out, and I was allowed to join the group going.

From the dock, we boarded a bus which wound through the city. The guide on the bus gave us a little history of Belize and pointed out interesting spots as we drove through.

I can't remember exactly how long the bus ride into the jungle was, but I'm guessing it was about an hour. When we arrived at the jungle where the tour started, there was a resident monkey hanging in the tree who was obviously used to humans and very willing to have his picture taken.

From there, there was a short hike into the jungle- not strenuous at all for us 20 and 30 somethings, but I probably wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is mobility challenged.

Then, we were given instructions on how to zip-line, and shown how to properly use the harness and gear. There were always two guides with you, and they were very diligent about safety. The short hike up the hill took you to the first platform, then you zip-line down a small ravine that takes you from tree platform to tree platform. I think maybe 6 'trips' in all. On the last stop, are lowered down from the tree by the rope and harnesses and you go have a great lunch.

Now, I have to mention that I have a pretty profound fear of heights, but I made myself go just because it sounded like a lot of fun and a great opportunity to get to be one of the first ones on the tour. While the first step off of the platform took a little courage, I have to say that it was never terrifying, and something I really enjoyed. The experience was a lot of fun, and one I definitely reccommend.

Again, this was the very first official tour, so they may have changed things a little... but I'm sure the basic tour is the same.

~The Redhead

Thank you so much for your reply. You thoroughly answered any questions that I had about this excursion.

I do have one more question, though, how long ago were you on it?

Lori

I was there in June, 2004. So, it has been a few years since I did this tour and they may have changed a few things.

I would imagine, though, that the tour is basically the same. You might get some feedback from some that have been on it more recently.

It was fun. If you're there with someone, take turns going first... have the first person take the camera so they can take pictures of the second person zipping in!

Archived