computer air-card

Boxer Lover

I don't know what an air-card is, but you can buy wireless Internet access on the Radiance. It's very slow and erratic, though - pretty much impossible to upload photos or other such bandwidth-heavy uses.

We are sailing this weekend as well, and I'm bringing my laptop with my Verizon broadband card. Supposidly, I'll have coverage while in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway, so I'll see if between my Princess Platinum free minutes to use while at sea, and Verizon while I'm in port, I can avoid paying for internet access next week.

I am currently in Homer. And I was in Ketchikan Saturday. I have been in Alaska for about 10 days on business. My Verizon air card works well in most places in Alaska. I am using it now, sitting on the beach outside our condo.

DO NOT use it on the ship. Take it OUT of your computer on the ship unless you are saavy enough to disable the WWAN network or your computer will try to connect to the easiest port (which is your air card). You air card runs off your cell providers network. You will be charged the same fee as cell service ($2.49 and up PER MINUTE) on the ship.

I am currently in Homer. And I was in Ketchikan Saturday. I have been in Alaska for about 10 days on business. My Verizon air card works well in most places in Alaska. I am using it now, sitting on the beach outside our condo.

DO NOT use it on the ship. Take it OUT of your computer on the ship unless you are saavy enough to disable the WWAN network or your computer will try to connect to the easiest port (which is your air card). You air card runs off your cell providers network. You will be charged the same fee as cell service ($2.49 and up PER MINUTE) on the ship.

I was thinking about getting one with Sprint, but now I'm having second thoughts. The cell service should be on roaming, no? Why is there a $2.49 fee per minute if you're in Alaska?

I was thinking about getting one with Sprint, but now I'm having second thoughts. The cell service should be on roaming, no? Why is there a $2.49 fee per minute if you're in Alaska?

Sprint has absolutely rotten coverage in Alaska, cell or air card. Get Verizon or AT& T. Sprint will connect on the ship, but not on land most of the time.

An air card connects to the internet via a dial up cell phone connection (easiest way I can explain it). So if you use the air card on the ship, the connection will be through the SHIP CELL TOWER, which incurs a bare minimum $2.49 charge per minute, depending on your wireless provider and that charge is for cell phone or air card. Some providers that do not have direct contracts with WMS (Wireless Maritime Service) have fees as high as $6.00 per minute.

http://www.cellularatsea.com/endusers.htm

I'm pretty savy with it, but I only plan to use it in port anyway. While on board, I'll use my "free" access in the internet cafe.

We just got back from Alaska and had my Sprint Blackberry with me to try to keep up on a few things going on at work. Cell service was roaming most of the time and I had average strength but really didn't make any calls so I can't verify how well it would have worked. As for data service, it was non existent through most of Alaska for me although it all worked fine once we were in the Anchorage area. I wouldn't even try Sprint in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, etc. For some reason I was able to access limited email on my Blackberry in Ketchikan, but only a few got through. Email eventually caught up with me in Anchorage.

We also had a T-Mobile cell phone with us that got pretty good coverage through the Cellular One network in Alaska. We however used it for cell use only and I did use it in port a few times... this phone has no data capabilities though.

Dave

Archived