Voyager Cruise - Hotels in Galveston

I am taking a cruise next January out of Galveston on the Voyager of the Seas. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we could stay in Galveston the night before the cruise? We would like to stay somewhere near the port where we could leave our car.

We left out of Galveston in November 2005. We stayed at the Hotel Galvez. By staying at the hotel, you were able to use their valee parking. You could leave your vehicle there, and they would provide a shuttle over to the port. When you return, the shuttle would pick you up and return you to the hotel, where you could pick up your car. The only cost was the nights hotel stay. It would be my assumption, but I suspect the same deal applies now. The hotel was very nice to stay in.

My personal favorite pre-cruise hotel in Galveston is the Harbor House at Pier 21. They advertise $20 cruise parking but both times we have stayed there I booked online and the parking fee was waived. They do charge a $10 parking fee per night that you stay there though.

Easy walking distance of several restaurants - Fisherman's Wharf and Willie G's are our favorites. Also walking distance of the cruise terminal. We drive our luggage over around 10:00am, take the car back to the hotel and then wander over with our carry-ons between 11:00 and 11:30 and are always on the ship by noon.

No shuttle to/from the hotel. We were too tired to lug our bags back to the hotel after our last cruise so hailed a cab. The fare was $5. Let's just say the cabbie got a nice tip. ;)

Request room# 302. This is the corner room on the top floor with an incredible view of the ships coming in on the morning of your sailaway day.

P.S. Lots more hotel recommendations/information available on the Gulf Coast Departures forum. :cool:

Living in Galveston we are not too familiar with the good/bad of hotels in Galveston. However, many of our friends/family that come for visits stay at the Tremont Hotel and give only good marks for their stays. It is only a few blocks from the cruise ship terminal and I believe it supplies transportation to it. It's also one block from The Strand, the historic row of shops as well.There are also many incredible restaurants within walking distance. My favorite is Rudy and Paco's on Post Office street.

Good Luck

GalvezCruiser

I agree 100% with Aprille. We stayed at the Harbor House in room 302 the night before our January Voyager cruise. Voyager slips right by the hotel about 5:45am. We were a party of 5, all had rolling luggage, and walked from the hotel to the terminal. Took maybe 10 minutes. The first terminal area you come to is for Carnival. Pass that and continue on to Royal. I believe we paid $135 per night.

Archived