Kindle - Amazon ebook reader

frenchmartini

I am by no means the expert on this stuff that our pal, Buddy, clearly is, but I do know that it is possible to convert e-books bought from other providers to the Sony reader format. The way I'd done it in the past was rather cumbersome, and I won't trouble you with it here. But, I understand there is some free software available out there that can simplify the process.

In addition, I need to do some more research on is whether some of these public domain free classics are available in multiple reader formats. I'll let you know what I find out.

I am by no means the expert on this stuff that our pal, Buddy, clearly is, but I do know that it is possible to convert e-books bought from other providers to the Sony reader format. The way I'd done it in the past was rather cumbersome, and I won't trouble you with it here. But, I understand there is some free software available out there that can simplify the process.

In addition, I need to do some more research on is whether some of these public domain free classics are available in multiple reader formats. I'll let you know what I find out.

Yes there are lots of ways of converting other formats, something that I tend to do when I can because over the years I've "lost" access to titles thanks to changing hardware and standards, so I like to keep my library as open source as possible. Unfortunately, some of those options are not available legally to US residents since your digital millenium copyright act contains no fair use rights for titles you have purchased.

Another good source of purchase-able material in Sony Reader format is fictionwise.com - they have a large library of books and certain text based magazines (Asimov's, Ellery Queen, etc) available in unsecured MultiFormat which can be downloaded in any format.

Can I squeeze in another use of the word format? :D

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Fictionwise, both because of their multiformat offerings, and because of their incredible deals. In fact, I just got another e-mail this morning with 15% discounts on a series I am definitely interested in picking up!

Archived