Naples/Sorrento/Pompei-can this be done?

agabbymama--you are thinking just like me. I made this itinerary only AFTER studying the maps, checking websites for train, hydrofoil, and ferry schedules. It can be done less expensively, and much more efficiently than if you were stuck on the road with a shorex or a private tour. Also, as I said in an earlier post, we'll be going in the opposite direction of most people who will first head out to Pompei on tours and on their own. I've read on these boards that Pompei dies down in the afternoon when all of the tours leave. Again, I know that it will be HOT and SUNNY but that's what sunscreen, a good hat, and portable water bottles are for. Just think, when Pompei was thriving people lived there in the heat of the summer...until Vesuvius yawned:eek:

Actually janfran813, I decided to copy your itinerary. I was originally going to head to Pompei first, then on to Sorrento with the hydrofoil back, but after reading your post, decided it might be wiser to do the hydrofoil to Sorrento first then make our way back, watching the time and cutting short if we have to. We'll be there October 20th, so I'm not really too concerned about the heat. I just hope the hydrofoils are still running. The websites say they stop running in October, but not a date.

agabbymama, Good luck to you on your travels. I'm sure everything will work out fine. I will try to find out about the hydrofoils when we're there and post any info. I get. And as you said, you can cut it short if need be!

Happy sailing!

We did this exact trip last year. It really was easy and worked out great. We got back to Naples with plenty of time but were so tired of walking we just walked back to the ship. The ferries to Sorrento are not really hydrofoils but fast ferries. They don't get out of the water. They can be crowded and warm so if you get sea sick you might want to take something. We were suprised how crowded Sorrento was in May and we just tried to walk along the edge of town to see the views. We took the 12:30 train to Pompeii and spent 3 hours there. It was still crowded in the afternoon but it's a big place so you can always get away from the crows and find some shade to sit in and rest. Just to let you know most of the train ride from Sorrento to Pompeii is through the mountians so you don't get to see the views. We were a bit disapointed. We thought we would see some great views.

Archived