Do I have time to visit Kings Canyon? Or, skip and have 2 nights in Uluru area?

swdke

I will have only 3 nights to visit the Uluru/Kings Canyon area near the end of November. I arrive at 10 am at the Alice Springs airport and tought I'd drive to Kings Canyon, get there by 3 pm, and exlore the area that afternoon. Next morning, I thought I'd do the walk in/around Kings Canyon, then when finished, drive to Uluru. Figure I'd arrive Uluru area around 3 pm, and explore Uluru in afternoon, and next day visit Uluru area again, and around 1 pm, head back to Alice Springs. So, that's one night in Kings Canyon, one night at Uluru, and one night in Alice Springs, and obviously, a lot of driving in between. Or, should I delete the visit to Kings Canyon and spend two nights at Uluru area? Thanks, I appreciate your help.

IMHO, skip Uluru and spend more time in Alice Springs and Kings Canyon. I lived in the Alice for two years and have to admit that I never made it to Uluru :o . (Had no desire to visit either, but that's another story.) However, I highly recommend going to Kings Canyon. The walk through the canyon is well worth it!

Then you could spend the extra time in the Alice and surrounds. The Western MacDonnell Ranges have some pretty amazing sites and great swimming holes!

http://www.tourism.thealice.com.au/ for more hints and info.

Hope this helps,

Heta

Hi swdke,

some big kms to be travelled there.

good roads but at least 4hours drive from alice to the rock (uluru)

Ayers rock is a must see as it also has the olgas nearby which has a great walk through.

sunset or sunrise is very special on the rock and the colours are awesome.

kings canyon is very good as well and you need a whole day if you want to explore all the features.

your int can be done but be prepared for long times in the car.

gary

Don't miss it!! I agree totally with Mawson about everything. More tourists than ozzies have seen Uluru and it is spectacular at sunrise & sunset. The area is special - nothing else like it but the Outback is BIG in everyway - LONG STRAIGHT roads. It is just different and special!

Hi Swdke,

I agree with Mawson as well. Uluru has this magical aura(sp?) a wow factor that you just dont get from a picture or post card. Its not just a 'big rock'. Its worth the time it takes to see it and the drive has some great scenery too.

Make the effort - you wont regret it !!

Cheers,

Fiona

:)

Archived