New Port Opening Date Released

Island Marketing Cayman

7nucruisers, I'm glad to hear that you weren't angry, just concerned.:) I understand where you're coming from, I've been on stormcarib.com ever since Ivan hit Grand Cayman reading about the recovery efforts. The locals at Grand Cayman have posted repeatedly that they have no jobs to go to until the tourists come back. :( They want to rebuild their houses and fix all of the damage, but they need a job and money to do that. And most of the people on the island work in the tourist industry. So with no job there's no money. With no money there's no food or money to rebuild with. So they really do need us back pronto.

I also think seeing all of the tourists back on the island will give them a sense of normalcy because they are used to seeing tourists everywhere. :) They are struggling financially and are very worried about the economy. Seeing us out spending money will relieve their financial worries and give them hope that things will return to normal and their economy will recover quickly. I have read many Grand Cayman message boards and believe me, one of their main concerns right now is how their economy will fare. They are very afraid that tourists will be afraid to return for fear that the island was destroyed beyond repair. :( The best thing we can do for them right now is go there and spend money and enjoy ourselves. If things start returning back to normal it will relieve a lot of their worries and stress over the economy. Don't feel guilty about going there and enjoying yourself, I think they need to see the tourists out having fun. It will mean that their economy is on the mend and things are going back to the way they used to be before the hurricane. And for them that is great news.

Just read on one of the other boards that the 11/13, 11/20 and 11/27 of the Majesty have been rerouted from Grand Cayman to Cancun! I checked the NCL website and found this to be true. I was hoping since we were leaving the end of November, that the island would be open for business again.

NCL said that Cancun is currently listed but that they could change it back to Grand Cayman should the island open before we set sail! Let's keep our fingers crossed as I'm sure their economy could use us!

We're on the Rhapsody 11/28 sailing and would call at GC the first week of December if allowed. I plan on doing exactly what the other poster mentioned - overtip. I plan on buying all my souvenirs for officemates there, I plan on eating and drinking and tipping very well and I plan on buying myself a few mementoes. I also plan on doing an excursion and tipping the boat staff a bit extra. Now of course, I hope I'm given the chance!

Matteo, if you're reading this and keeping up with us, please be sure to let us know which ships will be allowed in port and when. I know you said a limited number of ships will be allowed in port as of October 29th, but which ones? If you find out, please post it and let us know. Right now all of the cruise lines have taken GC off of their itineraries for the entire month of October. So we really have no idea who will be allowed back in and when. Please be sure to let us know as soon as you find out. Thanks!:D

Archived