On board activity ideas - let's make a list....

jnmrlk

One of the ongoing complaints that were posted for the Spirit was to do with lack of daily activities - so I thought it would be fun to start an idea list and see how many people added their ideas, some could be for free and some for a fee - you never know maybe some-one from NCL might use of of our ideas - here's some of mine -

Speak the language clinic – basic “Hello” “Thank You” etc. for upcoming ports – great way to get the crew involved, as I am sure some are from the various ports that are visited.

Mommy and Me activities - jewellery making, hair braiding etc.

Cooking classes – this may not work, but I’m throwing it out there anyway, another twist on this could be recipes and local foods that are used for the upcoming ports etc. Maybe they could hand out recipes to cook at home – another possible way to include multiple crew members.

Cake decorating classes – this may work easier than you think, I took a class like this at a local school, as the icing comes in a can and the tips for making the designs can be plastic (and therefore disposable) all you need is a room and flat surface and it is not as messy as you may think. Would be another great mom and/or dad and daughter and/or son activity.

Origami clinic – yeah, I know this may not be for every-one – but I had allot of fun doing this with my kids right from a book we purchased.

Camera Clinic – I am sure there are a slew of people that buy digital cameras for their cruises and need just a little guidance on how to take great shots, I am not talking an in depth class but just some tips for shooting in bright light, how to compensate for the reflection off the water etc.

I like your camera clinic idea. I for one have 2 digital cameras ( 1 reg. 1 video combo) and do not take full advantage of the things that could be done with them.

I would like to see more guest speakers--talking about the history, and gemology areas of the ports of call. ( My DH and I are gem & rock hound nuts.) Or even just the history and customs of the people living in the areas we are visiting.

Retiredonthesea

i absolutely second your thought on having some type of "language class" for each port that you come in to.

being able to say "hello" "thank you" "excuse me" and "have a nice day" in a native language would be so wonderful!

also - any type of native customs, traditions, and a "what to buy here" type thing would also be great.

as an ex-pat now residing in Denmark, it's amazing to me how many people come here and have NO idea that Denmark is it's own country, nevermind the fascinating history of the place.

a little knowledge goes a LOOOONG way ... and may help people enjoy their port visit that much more.

GREAT IDEA - - NCL - - TAKE NOTES! :D

i absolutely second your thought on having some type of "language class" for each port that you come in to.

being able to say "hello" "thank you" "excuse me" and "have a nice day" in a native language would be so wonderful!

also - any type of native customs, traditions, and a "what to buy here" type thing would also be great.

as an ex-pat now residing in Denmark, it's amazing to me how many people come here and have NO idea that Denmark is it's own country, nevermind the fascinating history of the place.

a little knowledge goes a LOOOONG way ... and may help people enjoy their port visit that much more.

GREAT IDEA - - NCL - - TAKE NOTES! :D

Also, most important, how to say, "Where is the bathroom?"

One of the ongoing complaints that were posted for the Spirit was to do with lack of daily activities - so I thought it would be fun to start an idea list and see how many people added their ideas, some could be for free and some for a fee - you never know maybe some-one from NCL might use of of our ideas - here's some of mine -

Speak the language clinic – basic “Hello” “Thank You” etc. for upcoming ports – great way to get the crew involved, as I am sure some are from the various ports that are visited.

And this would become helpful even when returning to some of the US ports, 'cause I don't speak Spanish!

I loved the salsa idea - some of the girls did peru and hawaii dances for the crews' show - what fun to learn those. Think of some of the dances we could learn!!

I thought that they could use some of the crew members for the language clinics too - may-be even do some skits for an added bit of fun!!!

I am all for seminars on the various ports of call including history, culture etc. Say, maybe they could even give a talk on the best shopping bargains and give out maps, coupons and perhaps even some high pressure pitches on why you should ONLY shop at ship-approved stores.

Oh yeah, they already do that last part.

Cooking classes would be fun too.

You usually will find some type of dance classes on board. Or at least that is what we have experienced in the past. Basic language skills is a very good idea. :cool: Especially for pronunciation. ;) Last cruise they had arranged bridge play as well as Trivia - the timing wasn't within our schedule but I do know plenty of people enjoyed them. Shuffle board as well as golf clinics, Wii competitions etc.. The thing is, you cannot please everyone all of the time but I do think they have been trying. On the Spirit they had a "Canadian Party" on the pool deck - probably because there was a very large number of Canadians on board. So they do adlib a bit as well - that's when you know you have a great cruise director and staff. :) Dart tournaments were not available last cruise - but I have read since that they have added a dart board to the Jade. What I was looking forward to with 6 sea days during the Trans Atlantic was the "towel folding clinic" But it wasn't offered at all - so maybe the trick is to ask the ships coordinator ahead of time to see if it can be arranged. Happy Sailing

What I would like to see (in the order of importance for me):

- 'Walk-a-mile" (I really missed this on my last cruise, was nice to chat with other early risers and fitness staff)

- Afternoon tea served in one of the dinning rooms or in Galaxy of the stars

- Theme nights with costume or hats or special makeup contests (I know it's not for everyone but this is MY wish list and I just love this type of stuff).

- More lectures (subjects related to the destination or general knowledge)

- Lectures from fellow passengers (could be max 10 minutes and the best lecturer wins a cruise if he accept to do a longer lecture on the free cruise... like in the talent contest)

- GOOD DJ at the disco (he was so lame on the last cruise)

- Water gun battle on deck

- Kickboxing class

- Dance lessons for Dummies

- Movies under the stars

- More participation games such as The Quest

- Book club (they should advise when you book what books will be reviewed, so you can read them)

- Sumo battle (you know when they put a Sumo suit and fight)

- Bartending (that was a great idea)

- More mystery dinners

I know, I know, the items I list are all over the place but I like various type of things.

Not having sailed yet on NCL, do they have Aquafit classes in the pool by this or any other name? I know how good it makes me feel and want to share that with others.

Fran

I liked the waterfit idea by Franu - is that like a water aerobics class??? I also thought that JP2001 had some great ideas in the dancing for dummies - hey maybe they could do a "dancing with the stars" idea but make it "dancing with the crew (or the prof. dancers)" - also liked the water gun fight idea - and the theme parties - they could make that into a decorate a mask during the day and wear it at night at a party - that would be allot of fun!

Mommy and Me activities - jewellery making, hair braiding etc.

Cooking classes – this may not work, but I’m throwing it out there anyway, another twist on this could be recipes and local foods that are used for the upcoming ports etc. Maybe they could hand out recipes to cook at home – another possible way to include multiple crew members.

Cake decorating classes – this may work easier than you think, I took a class like this at a local school, as the icing comes in a can and the tips for making the designs can be plastic (and therefore disposable) all you need is a room and flat surface and it is not as messy as you may think. Would be another great mom and/or dad and daughter and/or son activity.

Origami clinic – yeah, I know this may not be for every-one – but I had allot of fun doing this with my kids right from a book we purchased.

Camera Clinic – I am sure there are a slew of people that buy digital cameras for their cruises and need just a little guidance on how to take great shots, I am not talking an in depth class but just some tips for shooting in bright light, how to compensate for the reflection off the water etc.

-I like the cooking class idea, either for specialties of ports we visit or of the crew's home country.

-if appropriate to the ports visited, wine or spirits classes. ie/ a tequila tasting and classes in how to make great margaritas or rum or port or champagne, etc.

Viv

In the past we have had a scavenger hunt on ship.

Although it was not well attended it was great fun. We also had pajama bingo where it was held early in the morning (right around 9) and everyone was to wear their robe or pjs. On RCCL we had a husband/wife team who had seminars on pet health/behavior/etc. It was always crowded.

I think it was HAL that had boat races in the pool. Teams made a boat/raft according to rules among which was it had to be able to hold a six pack of beer and float across the pool without sinking. I was a judge for this contest once and it was hilarious. I also enjoyed the horse racing! Wonder why it disappeared!

has this cooking class. It is listed as NCL "U" Tapas & Sangria Tasting ($15). They teach you how to make 2 types of Sangria, Red & White and also how to make 3 different Tapas. You then get to eat them and you get 2 big glasses of the Sangrias. It was very interesting. :)

-I like the cooking class idea, either for specialties of ports we visit or of the crew's home country.

-if appropriate to the ports visited, wine or spirits classes. ie/ a tequila tasting and classes in how to make great margaritas or rum or port or champagne, etc.

Viv

has this cooking class. It is listed as NCL "U" Tapas & Sangria Tasting ($15). They teach you how to make 2 types of Sangria, Red & White and also how to make 3 different Tapas. You then get to eat them and you get 2 big glasses of the Sangrias. It was very interesting. :)

That sounds like a good class. Wonder if the Star has it.

I hope they keep this class - we are doing a family cruise next yr - not sure if we are going Princess, RCI or on the Dawn, but we have sailed the Dawn before and I really liked that ship - I would def. participate in this class!!

Where there allot of people that took the class?

Archived