Can we bring wine, soda, and water onboard

EMess

We just got back from the Majesty and took 4 bottles of wine with us. We declared it immediately and paid the $15. I thought it would be stored in the dining room but we were told to take it to our room and just bring it to dinner when we wanted it. We saved some money because we took the 1.5 liter instead of the regular size bottle of wine. Same fee, but at dinner everyone that helped us commented on the "giant bottle" of wine.

Hope that helps some. :)

I'm assuming that was $15 per bottle. Correct? How was the Majesty. We have been on several other cruises and this is the smallest ship and it's a little older. Did you have fun? Was it in good shape? Thanks.

I'm assuming that was $15 per bottle. Correct? How was the Majesty. We have been on several other cruises and this is the smallest ship and it's a little older. Did you have fun? Was it in good shape? Thanks.

Hi,

Saw your question. There are lots of recent reviews and opinions on the boards. Search this forum for "Majesty." Also, there are links to reviews on the main cruiseclues website. We are going on 7/26. We went on the Majesty in '96 before NCL bought it and stretched it, and we loved it then. I have read reviews that loved it and others that said it was a little shabby in places. I don't care myself - I want to go to Bermuda!

SeeZee

We just got back from the Majesty and took 4 bottles of wine with us. We declared it immediately and paid the $15. I thought it would be stored in the dining room but we were told to take it to our room and just bring it to dinner when we wanted it. We saved some money because we took the 1.5 liter instead of the regular size bottle of wine. Same fee, but at dinner everyone that helped us commented on the "giant bottle" of wine.

Hope that helps some. :)

sorry if I'm being thick but how do they know if you've already paid it?

I like the idea of 1.5 litres of wine, Marks and Spencer here do a great 1Litre bottle of Italian White that we may take,

I was going to post nearer the time to ask if you pay on embarkation or as you use each bottle the corkage fee.

Once the meal is over can we take the wine and glasses somewhere else in the ship?

sorry if I'm being thick but how do they know if you've already paid it?

They put a little sticker on the bottle that shows you have paid the corkage fee. They also give you a reciept that shows the charge. They put the charge on your shipboard account.

What if you drink it in your stateroom and not in the dining room, still have to claim it and pay the $15 cork fee? What about a bottle of hard liquor to bring on board?

Yes you still have to pay the fee. It doesn't matter where it is consumed.

No you are not allowed to bing hard liquor on board.

Now I was thinking I read somewhere that the charge was more if it was one of the big bottles of wine or a box. Maybe I was dreaming... Does anyone know? I am really interested in what happens on the Star.

Sometimes the do charge more for larger bottles/boxes, sometimes they don't. They are not real consistent with this. It can change from ship to ship and from sailing to sailing. I just depends on who is manning the desk/or not/ at the time you board.

So it's $15 PER bottle then? Even if I don't take it with me to the dining room. I just wanted to have a glass or two in my room before I head out to eat. What if you pack it in your small carry-on suitcase? Do they check for this when you are going through security? And will they confiscate it? Not that I'm trying to be cheap or sneaky or anything, but if I only bring a bottle or two and end up not even opening it on the ship, then what's the point of paying that $15 wasted fee? I won't know if I want to purchase any wine on the ship until I see the selections and price.

I suppose everyone is different, but it would seem to me that if someone is spending a couple thousand bucks on a vacation, then worrying about a fifteen buck charge is a bit of a waste. I mentally "set aside" what I know is going to be additional spending money and make up my mind ahead of time not to obsess over it.

So it's $15 PER bottle then? Even if I don't take it with me to the dining room. I just wanted to have a glass or two in my room before I head out to eat. What if you pack it in your small carry-on suitcase? Do they check for this when you are going through security? And will they confiscate it? Not that I'm trying to be cheap or sneaky or anything, but if I only bring a bottle or two and end up not even opening it on the ship, then what's the point of paying that $15 wasted fee? I won't know if I want to purchase any wine on the ship until I see the selections and price.

Sorry, those are NCL's rules. I guess they assume you are going to actually drink the wine if you go to all the trouble of dragging it on board and paying the corkage fee.

Yes they will most likely find it in your carry-on and hold it until the end of the cruise or you can pay the corkage fee.

The last wine list I saw the lowest $ wine was around $24.00.

On our last cruise we bought bottles of Spanish Rioja in Barcelona for around $10.00 USD and then paid the corkage of $15.00. It worked out about the same but at least we had the wine we wanted. We drank it in our cabin and took it to the restaurant. The choice is up to you.

Geo.

What if you put it in your luggage? Then how do they know you have it?

They X-ray all luggage brought onbord the ship and if they see anything that looks like liquor or wine then the bag is set aside and you will receive a note in your cabin to come claim the bag. They will then require you to open the bag and they will conficate any liquor and hold until the end of the cruise. They will give you the option of paying the corkage fee on any wine or they will hold it too.

Geo.

They X-ray all luggage brought onbord the ship and if they see anything that looks like liquor or wine then the bag is set aside and you will receive a note in your cabin to come claim the bag. They will then require you to open the bag and they will conficate any liquor and hold until the end of the cruise. They will give you the option of paying the corkage fee on any wine or they will hold it too.

Geo.

We took 3 bottles in our luggage. Did not get sent to the "naughty room".

I like Princess. They let you bring all you want, no problem.

We took 3 bottles in our luggage. Did not get sent to the "naughty room".

I like Princess. They let you bring all you want, no problem.

You were lucky then. There are lots of people on this board that have had the opposite experence.

Geo.

Geo.

But in all fairness like the other lines if they catch 25% that is a lot. The key to others is don't be surprised or upset if you are one of those 25%

I agree. On Princess, it was no problem to bring what we wanted. IMO, might as well put it in your lugagge and play dumb if you get "caught" and then pay the $15 fees. When I pay $1,000s of for any vacation, I should be able to bring anything I want with me (other than anything illegal, of course).

I agree. On Princess, it was no problem to bring what we wanted. IMO, might as well put it in your lugagge and play dumb if you get "caught" and then pay the $15 fees. When I pay $1,000s of for any vacation, I should be able to bring anything I want with me (other than anything illegal, of course).

Well that's the point isn't it. NCL makes the rules on their ships. It doesn't matter what Princess allows when it comes to NCL. Their ship their rules. You have the choice, of course, if you want to follow them or not.

Geo.

Well that's the point isn't it. NCL makes the rules on their ships. It doesn't matter what Princess allows when it comes to NCL. Their ship their rules. You have the choice, of course, if you want to follow them or not.

Geo.

Priincess has the same rule for liquor. Wine is different

Answer: We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop or at ports of call will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A member of our Security Staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your alcoholic beverage purchases.

Archived