How do I cash in my Visa points?

I tried the search feature but its giving me the fatal error thing. :mad: I have about 6,000 points and would like to somehow use it for a cruise I'm trying to book for next Feb. I have a crown and anchor certificate for $125 off a balcony cabin, and wanted to know how much I could get taken off for the points. Or is it OBC? I can't find the info anywhere on my statement - just the amount of points.

Also, if I book online with rccl, is there somewhere to type all of that in? I don't want to be promised that it will come off in November and have that not be the case, you know?

Thanks!

You can cash in 5000 point increments for $50.00 OBC. Just call the phone number on the back of your card, wade through the voice prompts until you can push 0 to talk to an operator. Tell them that you want to redeem your royal rewards points and the amount of points you wish to redeem. They will send you the certificate, in about two weeks, and you then fill it out, make a copy and send it into RCCL in Wichita, KS.

Hypo

You can, once you receive your certificate, call RCI Coupon Redemption at 1-888-305-4626, give them the certificate number and your booking number and they will apply it immediately. Then, as Hypo said, fill out the certificate, MAKE A COPY, and mail to address shown on the front. This will verify the information you gave them over the phone.

I just asked on another thread, but am going to do so again. DH and I are new to all of this. I just reread the entire rewards document and it says that the certificates cannot be used in connection with any other promotion. Does this mean that if I use a C&A balcony discount and/or C&A coupon that I cannot apply a Visa certificate as a price discount? Can I still use the Visa certificates as onboard credit?

In general, can you apply two price discount certificates? (i.e. two $500 certificates to get a $1000 total off) Can you use both a discount certificate and an onboard credit certificate?

Thanks so much. I have been reading recent threads but I am still confused.

The rewards program is separate from all others. You can apply balcony credit, stockholder credit and some RCCL coupons, all on the same cruise. You can also use a reward coupon with any or all of the above for cash off the cruise cost or OBC, depending on the points you cash in. There is a limitation of one coupon for cash off per booking. You can use multiple OBC coupons. If, at the end of your cruise, you have excess cash left in your OBC account, go to the Purser's desk the last evening and just take the cash out. Alternatively, any excess will be refunded to your credit card that you used to book the cruise.

Hypo

What is the true value of an RCCL Visa point? I carry a Starwood AMEX and an AA credit card now, but have started cruising more. I'm wondering about the value of the RCCL card.

About a 1% return. Sometimes, a little more, theoretically as much as 2% on redeeming for free cruises.

• 1 month later...
And, theoretically, 2% if I use it to pay for RC cruises, since you earn double points?

Not thoeretically, but actually. You get 1% on non-RCCL purchases and 2% on RCCL Purchases. The value of the card will depend on what type of redemption you choose. If you take the OBC it is just worth the 1% and/or 2%. But if you save up for the free companion or free cruises, it could be worth more depending on the selected/available cruises.

In addition, Pizzaman12, you get the 10k point opening bonus so that is automatically $100 free anywhichway you look at it:D When you stop cruising, stop using the card! Or just use it the one time for the $100 obc.

I'd personally like to hold off on cashing in points for OBC and get to 50k and take a free (plus port/taxes) 3 to 4 night in an OV. But I wonder if by the time I get that many points they'll go and change that. Or if there are too many exlusion dates/itineraries that make it not really the best option for the points. We'll see when I get there one day and I will report back!

The certificate needs to be used within 6 months, but you do not have to sail within the 6 months. For example, I booked a free cruise for 50000 points for next July (ten months from now). I called for the certificate and sent it in this month and the $1000 credit is applied to the cruise price now. If I ordered the certificate and did not book anything, the value would expire after 6 months. The best thing to do is call RCL and book the cruise, then call Bank of America and get the certificate. On the back of the certificate, you check off what you want to use it for (in my case, the free cruise) and put in the sailing date and confirmation number, and send it to the address in Wichita that is printed on the certificate. I sent it certified mail.

The only exclusion dates are major holidays, like Christmas and New Years. We are using this one for the 4th of July holiday and have also taken free cruises over Labor Day.

Taking the free cruise, vs shipboard credit, gives us the most back for the points, as OBC will only give 1%, and the free cruise can give as much as 2% (or cheapest outside cabin, whichever is cheaper).

Do certificates have to be applied before final payment? I'd like to wait until my Sept. closing date to add more OBC and then request the certificates and have them applied to my November cruise.

If possible, is that feasible or is that cutting it too close? My statement closing date is Sept. 18th. I can easily add another $100 in OBC if I wait until that date.

Do certificates have to be applied before final payment? I'd like to wait until my Sept. closing date to add more OBC and then request the certificates and have them applied to my November cruise.

If possible, is that feasible or is that cutting it too close? My statement closing date is Sept. 18th. I can easily add another $100 in OBC if I wait until that date.

Certificates do not need to be applied before final payment -- just make sure you send them in at least two/three weeks before you sail.

###

I do want to mention that when certificates arrive in the mail--they will look like any other bill or credit card application. Easy to throw out (happened to me). They did replace--but it was a hassle.

Thats for the heads-up on this. I probably would have shredded it before opening it.

I'm getting ready to use part of my 16,000 bonus reward points for a January cruise and my sister is getting ready to use her 10,000 for the same cruise. Plus we now have 100 shares of stock in RCL. So between the gratuities, specialty restaurants and a few photos we should have a financial stress-free cruise.

What was I thinking!!! I called the number on the back of my card and the person I talked to, it must have been his first day!! He couldn't tell me anything. Why didn't I think to get on the boards and find the answers. you all answered my questions!! Thanks

Hopefully, DH and I will be going on our free 4 night cruise in October!!!

In the old days there was a $150 discount at 15,000 points and a $250 cruise discount option at 25,000.

I just called VISA to redeem my points and I noticed on RC's website that the $250 DISCOUNT is no longer listed, just an OBC.

The VISA rep said it was still available but she wanted to transfer me to RC's C&A desk rather than send me the coupon. She had no clue what I was talking about when I asked for the offer code on the back of the certificate so I don't have a lot of faith in her...

Does anyone know if the $250 discount is still a valid option?

In the past when a coupon was missing verbiage the C&A folks just said "Oh just write it in and we'll take care of it for you" and they always did but I just felt funny 'bout this deal...

Stompy, If you go on any of the three or four day cruises, the 25000 will allow one of you to cruise for free (up to $500) worth. The way you are looking into using it, will only give you $250 off or a $250 shipboard credit - still nice, but only giving you half the value.

Archived