Laptops

robo1234

Thalnks for all the good advice. I've pretty much decided on the Asus 8.9" screen. And now I'm no longer concerned about Lexus, because the comments have all been favorable. Was considering the Acer with XP, but read several customer reviews on Amazon and there seemed to be problems with wireless connection. The price on the asus with 16GB and 1G of RAM...4 cell battery, is down to $379 on Amazon, so will probably go that route.

We were on the Emerald in Europe this past spring and I had my MacBook with me. If you were not Platinum or Elite and just paid by the minute, the charge for your laptop was $.55 a minute. It was $.75 a minute for their computers.

I did not buy a package. I wrote my e-mails offline, placed my pics on the desktop and copied and pasted all when I went on line. .55 later, all was on it's way.:D Laptops are faster then Princess computers.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bought the asus eeepc 9000 with the 8.9" screen and it arrived two days ago from Amazon...price $379. Bought a router at Radio Shack and had to return it, as the techs I finally turned to said it wouldn't accept Linux. Guess I'll just hook up to my Comcast modem to get stuff set up before my next trip.

I'm finding the Linux easy to navigate and the keyboard easy to use.

Hope I don't have any problems with the wireless connection onboard.

WISH ME LUCK!

Well, I bought the asus eeepc 9000 with the 8.9" screen and it arrived two days ago from Amazon...price $379. Bought a router at Radio Shack and had to return it, as the techs I finally turned to said it wouldn't accept Linux. Guess I'll just hook up to my Comcast modem to get stuff set up before my next trip.

I'm finding the Linux easy to navigate and the keyboard easy to use.

Hope I don't have any problems with the wireless connection onboard.

WISH ME LUCK!

You were given some bad information by the "techs" at radio shack (or wherever they were). I have put linux behind most major routers, the router does not care what is behind it. Linksys and Dlink definately work without problems. Most "techs" at major stores know only Microsoft, and if you ask a question about anything else, they just say that it doesn't work rather that admit that they don't know.

Rich

rich@wa70.com

No, it was techs in India from the makers of the router. I was getting 100% signal, but couldn't connect. What I really want to do while still home is find a WiFi place and practice going online. I can set things up here on my Comcast modem and would proably never ever need the internet connection here at home.

No, it was techs in India from the makers of the router. I was getting 100% signal, but couldn't connect. What I really want to do while still home is find a WiFi place and practice going online. I can set things up here on my Comcast modem and would proably never ever need the internet connection here at home.

Hate to say it but they also only have a list of Microsoft Solutions. I am replying to you from a linux machine behind a linksys router. The wireless protocal works with all devices, be they Microsoft, Mac, Linux, Sony Playstations or anything else. The people you talked to just were not familiar with linux, so they said it wouldn't work. Someone familiar with Linux will be able to help you in just a couple of minutes.

Rich

(edit)

Sorry if I was a little harsh - I run into too many people who are supposed to know what is going on, but since they refuse to acknowledge linux, they just say it doesn't work. Really it does. Contact support at eepc, not the router manufacturer.

Rich

Thanks, and you're so right. No one at Radio Shack or Sears had even heard of Linux. I guess the tech from Net..... (maker of router) over in India was probably clueless too.

If you type Linux User Group Sarasota Florida into yahoo or google you will find links to a user group in your area which will have people that can help you set up your wireless connection. There is also a group at Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota, Florida using linux to monitor beach conditions.

Rich

• 1 month later...

Update on Asus purchase. I sent back the 8.9" with Linux. Decided I'd rather have XP and also, the keyboard was way too small. A few days ago I ordered the Asus Eeepc 1000HA from Amazon, price of $429 with free 2-day delivery. It's 2.8 lbs. as opposed to 2 lbs for the smaller one, but the keyboard works very well. Hooked it up to my Comcast modem to install all the stuff I need. The improved battery in this model is terrific, lasts several hours. I'll time the exact number of hrs. tomorrow, but today it seemed as if I used it all day before it ran out of steam.

Archived