Balcony Dining?

aggietd

Hi,

Can anyway give an info or an opinion?

I have been told (from someone who contacted P&O by email) that it is an extra £50pp to dine on your balcony on Ventura.

Has anybody done this? it seems a very big surcharge. was it worth it?

Would like to maybe do this, but it seems a lot of extra money.

Nancy

Hi - can't comment on P & O - but we did this on Sea Princess in March when we cruised the Caribbean to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary. It was the most special evening I have had - wonderful experience and well worth every penny. The Maitre D' who was in charge of room service came to the cabin a couple of days before the evening we had selected, with the menus and wine lists. We chose to have the full menu - on Princess if I can remember - it was a cocktail and canapes to start, and then the actual menu was

Pacific Blue Crab Cake Baked in a Puff Pastyry Crown. (Thyme infused Tomato Chutney and Whole Grain Mustard Cream)

Marinated Chevre and Mesclun Field Greens (Pear, Walnuts and an Aged Balsamic Vinaigrette)

Broiled Tail of Cold Water Lobster (Drawn Lemon Butter and Vegetable Bouquet) OR Grilled Filet of Beef Tenderloin Diane (Chateau Potatoes, Vegetable Bouquet and Mushroom Demi-Glace) OR Surf and Turf - Broiled Tail of Cold Water Lobster and Grilled Filet of Prime Beef Tenderloin, served together with Roast Parisienne Potatoes, Premium Market Fresh Vegetable Bouquet and Duo of Sauces

Princess Extraordinary Quartet Mousseline - Delicate Quenelles of Dark, Swiss, Milk and White Chocolates

Friandises Elizabeth

Coffee or Cappuccino

And I understood from the Maitre D' that if there was anything we didn't like they would substitute. As it was we went for the Surf and Turf. By the time the dessert came round we couldn't do it justice - but it was beautiful.

We chose our menu and although the price included half a bottle of champagne we were able to exchange that for a full bottle of wine with our meal instead - which again, we could choose.

On the day - whilst we were out they came to our cabin and set up the table and chairs on the balcony - they were rattan armchairs with a cushion seat - very comfortable. The table was set up with proper linen and first class cutlery and china etc. And flowers on the table. Just before our chosen eating time of 8 p.m. the ship's photographer came and took photos on the balcony - and then our meal started. We had our own steward for the evening - who was an absolute delight - made us laugh and made it all very special. He brought each course in, poured our wine, made sure we had everything we needed and then disappeared. Somehow he knew exactly when to come back and clear away - and then a short pause and the next course came. There was so much food - by the time we had finished we were absolutely full. It was the most lovely evening - and well worth every penny. Highly recommended.

I am going to try to attach one of our photos - but whether I can do it I don't know - never tried on these boards before.

Hope this helps,

IMG-1212

Archived