Friends of Bill W.

One final 'off post' message.

That's what I thought that it was the Dr Who connection. Do you get the new series in the US? You would be interested in a commercial they have on BBC Wales tv at the moment- there are two versions- voiced over by David Tennant- talking about what people in Wales are doing at a certain time and he speaks a lot of Welsh in it. Well done for a Scotsman.

Yes, we get the new series. We're watching season 4 with Donna as the companion now. As for speaking Welsh, I've taken a few online lessons through a Rosetta Stone course. I really need to work harder on it.

You'd get along well with my husband. He's a huge Dr. Who fan and also Geocaches. Our oldest daughter has been geocaching with her friends since school got out. (they all just graduated from high school.) Great activity for them and they get fresh air and exercise.

Have you done geocaching while cruising? 3 years ago they tried finding one on Coco Cay, but had no luck.

We were just in Coco Cay. Unfortunately we couldn't locate the one physical cache there and logged a DNF. We did find the virtual and all the required answers.

FYI: Friends of Bill W. is not only for AA. He is the founder of the 12 steps and therefore any recovery program working the steps is invited. This include debtors, alcoholics, overeaters, narcotics, etc. Could just be my profression but I tend to exhibit just a little more sensitivity towards those in recovery. I'm thrilled that there is a place for those that need support on vacation can meet. It's a traumatizing disease not only for the sufferer but every single person in their life that loves them.

Swimfly, I appreciate your support for those in recovery programs, but, unless I have misunderstood the intent of the onboard programs, the Friends of Bill W meetings are for those who want to stay sober and help others achieve sobriety. I have occasionally seen references to 12 step meetings, and perhaps those would be more encompassing, but the Friends of Bill W I have attended on shipboard have only been geared for alcoholics.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

I've attended onboard meetings with members of Al-Anon and Overeaters Anonymous. Those in attendance through my many years onboard have always been primarily members of AA, but in both cases, the other twelve step members were welcomed with open arms. A cruise ship can be a very difficult place for members of these other programs too. (I would think someone with a gambling habit could be world of hurt as well.) Since the onboard meetings are informal, i.e. no official AA status, I've come to think of them the way that Swimfly does.

I've been a good friend of Bill for many, many years now and I am blessed because being around alcohol doesn't bother me in the least. I don't even see it. But, I usually try to go to meetings onboard ship because I know that others aren't so lucky. On one of my last cruises, there were two people who came who couldn't see anything else and were very afraid of losing their sobriety. The "friends" were able to help them make it through the cruise because of the meetings and giving the others our cabin numbers so they could call.

Anyway, my thanks to RCI and all the other cruise lines for giving the space for and for promoting the meetings.

• 11 months later...

My ex-boyfriend introduced me to the world of NA and AA through his sobriety. I was always very proud of his courage and resolve. The good work of all members of 12 step programs is amazing - they help themselves and others stay sober through this great program. I never got to cruise with him but we did look at cruises and make sure there were Friends of Bill W. meetings on board - he NEVER would have had a good cruise if they weren't available to him.

Archived