Stone Island Beach Getaway Mazatlan

Has anyone tried the Stone Island Beach Getaway in Mazatlan. It looks very nice and from inquiries on this webiste about beaches near the ship in Mazatlan that seem scarce this may be the way to go. Again the cost per adult is $69 and $59 for each of my kids. So if there is a better option that we could do on our own to save the nearly $260 I would be willing to listen. Thanks,:)

There's information somewhere here about getting a water taxi from the dock and taking it to Stone Island. There are places to rent snorkelling equipment, and restaurants where you can sit on the beach (using their furniture) as long as you buy food/drink. I've never been, am just starting my research -- the water taxi to Stone Island is something we're interested in. Will let you know if I find out any more than this :)

We were there three weeks ago and went to Stone Island on our own. It saved us TONS of money. When you get of the ship just keep walking to the left (you will go through some small shopping areas), and you will end up on the street. Keep walking left and you will come to a marina where there are water taxis to take you over for $1.50 per person. After you see the marina, you will walk down a small gravel road, again, to your left. Look on the walls (on your left of course) and you will eventually see a sign for the water taxi stand by the gravel road. Go down the road and you will see a blue water taxi stand. Its about a 10 minute walk. There will be time share salespeople when you get off the ship that will try to talk you out of going to Stone Island by saying that it is too far away. It is ABSOLUTELY NOT! The ship docks right on the other side of it! When you get there, choose a restaurant, promise to eat lunch there and they will let you use their chairs and umbrellas. I highly recommend Victors. The manager (Chris) is extremely friendly and can arrange ATV rides ($35 an hour) and horseback rides for you when you get there. There are also banana boat rides.

We did nothing but hang out on the beach all day and eat and drink at Victors. We had a wonderful day and it was not crowded at all. It was just my husband and myself, but I know our kids would have loved it if we had them with us. I would definitely say go on your own and save the money! Of course, if your tour includes a lot of activities and food, it may be worth it to go with that depending on how much you plan to do. Hope this helps!

I wanted to follow up on a question someone else asked in this thread that hasn't been answered and I am also curious....anyone aware if you take the water taxi to Victors and the beach are there activities for Young children as well or water toys for that age...mine are 6 and almost 3...thanks:)

My family used the instructions that we found on the above post that karatemom2 linked to. the insrtuctions were perfect. If you speak a little spanish you will do fine as the water taxi people speak a little english and you all can figure out what you want.

ripley4, I saw no water toys for little kids but that shouldn't stop you from giong to stone island. My family of 10, only spent $200 dollars for food, drinks, and we rented 4 atv quads for one hour. we went to molokay's resturant this is were we rented the quads also. this would have cost us $670 if we had used the ships excursions to go to the same exact spot and do the same thing, plus we ordered what we wanted to eat off the menu and not what the ship was going to give you.

What I did for money is before we left the ship I went to the pursers desk and asked for change for my bigger bills. I exchanged $50 for 5's and 1's, this made it easier so I wouldn't get back peso's.

I hope this helps

• 1 year later...
My Mom has bad balance and uses a cane or a walker at times, could she do this short walk with the gravel street?

I would not suggest a walker. Stone Island has a crude dirt road in back of the restaurants or beach sand in front of them.

I will try to answer a few of the questions.

Water taxi is 20 pesos (or 2 dollars US) round trip.

The walk to the water taxi terminal is about two blocks with sidewalk, and about a block dirt. The water taxis are panga type boats, and you enter by stepping off the dock onto the deck or seat. Those with mobility problems will need a hand and shoulder for help. Usually there is a guy at the dock with a pick-up with bench seats in the back and he will take you to Victors or Lety's for a couple of dollars if you don't want to walk on the beach.

I would estimate the distance from the dock to Victors about 1/4 mile.

If you need non-motorized toys for kids, you probably should bring your own.

The water is shallow for quite a ways out, and the surf is normally pretty mild.

They have quads, horses, and banana float rides for rent.

Beer is about 1.50 US and meals are around 10 dollars or less. The places are famous for their shrimp.

I hope this helps.

My Mom has bad balance and uses a cane or a walker at times, could she do this short walk with the gravel street?

I would suggest asking one of the pulmonia drivers the cost of taking her (or all of you) to the water taxi terminal. Price should be 5 dollars or less.

The pulmonias can take three people (or more if you are good friends)

Archived