F3 Reveal?

Thank you! LOL! My hubby has everyone beat, takes a couple naps during the day and can be out like a light within 15 minutes following the evening theater performance :eek: :rolleyes: .

Is your hubby my long lost brother? Especially on a cruise, I'm terrible. An after- breakfast nap on the promenade deck chairs, an after lunch nap by the pool, a short snooze after dinner and before the show -- and still in bed, sleeping better than I ever do at home, well before midnight. I'm a little worried about our upcoming Canada/New England cruise. 5 ports in 7 days isn't going to allow much time for napping.....;)

I don't know about anyone else, but I saw that picture of the ICE BAR, and got really cold. I do not go on vacation to freeze, I can do that at home, that will be one part of the ship I will not visit. BURRRR . . . .

Mew1:p

We were in an ice bar in Alaska last March. Even though we were dressed for the outdoor temperature of -10°F. those seats got darn cold after a few minutes. Wonder what kind of bun warmers these seats will have????

Did anyone notice that in some of the pictures, particularly of Halo, the people seemed to be pretty dressed up? I wonder if at the more exclusive clubs, they are going to have a dress code like some of the more expensive and exclusive clubs on land. Not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just thinking out loud.

Nice calf (but you need to work on that thigh)!

Did you spot the leg I was referring to?

I can not find the leg! I did find myself in two photos...the Bliss Nightclub photo by myself and in the Posh Night photo by myself again. I will keep looking for the leg. You keep looking for me. A hint: The same picture of me dancing, with one elbow out (looks like I broke it), one leg thrown back, black dress, staring over my right shoulder....Why they put the same photo of me when they had so many shots to choose from leaves me scratching my head...

coka

Halo, the Uber Bar — Garden and Courtyard Villa guests have exclusive VIP access to this venue, other guests will pay a cover charge. This venue sets atop the ship on Deck 16 and will showcase the ship’s best art and jewelry (modeled by servers) that can be purchased.

Sorry if this has been asked...just started reading this thread...

How can courtyard villas have "exclusive VIP access" when OS passengers pay more for their suite than a courtyard villa:confused:

They're going for a young crowd. It makes sense. Get them early, and they will become repeat customers for many years to come. (Many industries do this). The current ships will continue to provide what a slightly older crowd is looking for. I'm in my early 50's, and I can already tell that this ship isn't one that I would have any interest in. (I wasn't excited about the cabin layout to begin with). Can we assume these ships won't service the Alaska route? I don't think the "ice room" would be of much interest........

The "young crowd" can afford all the "extra" charges?

Not sure how OLD the young crowd is that they are looking for but my youngest just graduated college...he does not like paying "extra" for anything:D

Sorry if this has been asked...just started reading this thread...

How can courtyard villas have "exclusive VIP access" when OS passengers pay more for their suite than a courtyard villa:confused:

Who knows they will have owners suites or if maybe they will be part of the courtyard options on the F3s. Stay tuned for details

When DS took some time off cruising, he worked at a complex in Fla that had a number of clubs. They all charged covers, all had dress codes, had the loungers etc and they were all packed to the hilt with long lines outside waiting to get in. Average age was 30ish and these folks had the bucks. I could not believe how packed these places were. Sardines had more breathing room. And we are talking venues of 15000 sq feet. When I look at these artist renditions I definitely see some similarities.

And, they, quite possibly had been "locals"...paying a ONE night cover charge...quite different than paying a 7 - 10 days cover;)

Just a thought:)

If they are going to charge extra, forget it, dont think they realize how many they are turning off from going on these ship when the plan was to get people excited. Sounds like it has backfired on them.

Exactly my point!

There is actually very little excitment on this site about the news on the F3. And we're not usually late to praise what NCL does.

Anyway, if I want to go on a hip South Beach club and pay for it, I will probably do it before my cruise. Cos the ship will probably sail just a couple of minutes away from south beach... And I dont know, but I would guess that people don't go to those clubs for 10 nights in a row. Which seems to be NCL's thought.

I'm going on cruises because it's a very comfortable way to travel. You pretty much know what you get for the price you pay. If they will charge me for pretty much every meal and to go in to a bar, I could as well go to a resort or something.

They must be MUCH cheaper than the other cruise lines to justify the extra charges. If F3 will cost as much to go with as the other lines new ships I see no reason to go on a ship where they pretty much charge me to explore the ship.:(

And in the off season, beggining of december, for example, let's say the ship will be filled with "traditional" NCL cruisers. Like the ones who love Dawn/Gem and pretty much no one is that interesting in the late night life. They´re going on a cruise to relax. In that case I guess 4000 passengers will have to share 2/3 of the ships. And (at most)100 people will have the other third.

To build a floating night club and to charge you to get in to the night club is a very risky move. I'm not sure at all that they will succeed.

And remember, in a couple of years RCI will have, I think 5 ships in the Freedom class and 2 in the Oasis class. Which means that the F3 will not stand out as much.

Personally, I have no desire to sail on a ship with more passengers than my town has residents.

Look at those renderings. All young, beautiful and without an ounce of extra body fat. Not a gray hair in sight. That's so far from what I've seen on any cruise I've taken that it seems like a Twilight Zone episode:

"Consider if you will: a ship of hip, stylish, wealthy and carefree singles... dancing and drinking liquor by the bottle night after night... who pay more onboard than they did at the time of their 'final payment' (Mr. Serling chuckles at the thought of anyone naive enough to think of that old-fashioned notion)... you've just entered... the Feestyle Cruising Zone!"

I'm not ancient but this concept ain't me, folks. The room's too hip for me. And is it just me, or can the fact that these ships are so trendy that they seem outdated in three years? Fashion is fickle. What repeat business can NCL expect from people who always gravitate toward the "next big thing"?

Does the cover charge for the clubs include all your drinks? It makes sense that way, if drinks are extra it is a little ridiculous.

But when they first introduced Freestyle Cruising, people thought it was absurd to put all those extra restaurants on a ship and then charge extra to eat in them. But now it has become very popular to pay extra for the really good food and there are many cruisers who feel that this is the normal way to cruise. Almost all the other lines have now introduced some form of this additional fee dining, NCL must be betting that the new clubs will be the same way. And I think we should give them more credit. They are a business, they would not have just randomly decided to charge extra for clubs just to see what happens, they probably did some research to see if there was any kind of market for this.

Does the cover charge for the clubs include all your drinks? It makes sense that way' date=' if drinks are extra it is a little ridiculous.

[/quote']

The ice bar description says it will include a drink or drinks - still to be determined. I am really fascinated with the ice bar and how the revenue would work. Keep in mind I am a boring accountant. How much could they charge? How much would it cost to keep the temp at 17 degrees? The capacity of the bar is 25 people. It says they would expect people to stay about 1/2 hour.

NCL has a revenue planning department that I would love to work in to see the math of decisions like this - I know, a boring accountant.:)

I guess it will be quite hard to find 8000+ passengers every week who looks like the ones in their ads. ;) That's almost half a milion people per year.

And as a previous writer just wrote, isn't it a bit too hip?

When I was in school I learned that it is very dangerous to do something this big so trendy. What's hip today can be yesterday tomorow, so to speak. ´

BTW, there has always been upscale dining places on cruise ships with an extra charge, For example on the Swedish America Line back in the stone age. So that is not something that NCL started. This, however is something brand new.

The more I think of it the more I doubt. It feels like they are taking back the cruise industrie to the Titanic era. With the first and second class. You pay to be able to swim the good pool, you pay to walk in to the best bar and so on. If you don't pay extra you're stuck with "second" class pool deck and bars and service and such.

I do not think this is the way to go for a mainstream cruiseline.

Well, I guess I'll stay on the Dawn. :D

You are right about the extra charge restaurants, even Titanic had one or two. I was thinking more of the mainstream cruise lines; I think NCL was one of the first mainstreams to pioneer such dining, at least to have so many restaurants.

I would not worry too much about it becoming first and second class cruising. Remember the ship is 150,000 grt and they have only revealed about 5 public rooms. For all we know the rest of the areas will be free of charge and they may be even more innovative.

I can't wait to try out the new ships. I am 27 and it really looks like NCL is making an effort to break away from traditional nightlife and go in a new direction. I think we can agree that most nightlife on the ships have not really changed all that much over the years.

I don't think the cover charges will be that steep where it will keep people away. The industry is changing and all the lines are looking for extra revenue and this is what NCL has come up with. I still think they will offer other onboard entertainment for those who are not interested in paying cover charges at the new clubs.

It will be interesting to see how they market the new ships in television ads to see if they go all out for the younger crowd.

Archived