Canada/New England

We are thinking of taking the cruise to Canada/New England next October. I have been to Nova Scotia on a cruise 2 years ago. Any opinions on this cruise? Also I would like a Promenade cabin. I have always stayed in a balcony cabin but hear these cabins are great. Any opinions?

We took the Canada/New England cruise last year in June/July. We had a really good time--the ports were great, and it was perfect weather. We saw lots of whales, and the Grandeur is a very nice ship. Although I grew up in New England I had never been to Bar Harbor, and none of us had ever been to that part of Canada. Highly recommend the cruise.

We are thinking of taking the cruise to Canada/New England next October. I have been to Nova Scotia on a cruise 2 years ago. Any opinions on this cruise? Also I would like a Promenade cabin. I have always stayed in a balcony cabin but hear these cabins are great. Any opinions?

If you are used to a balcony cabin I would not change. Firstly you will still see foliage in N.E. at that time of year and it is beautiful.. Secondly the promenade cabins are smaller. Just MHO. Good luck and happy cruising!!

On Explorer, if you are booking a Promenade cabin, try to get one on Deck 7. Deck 8 is a bit too high for viewing the promenade. And if you book on Deck 6, you need to be careful that your cabin is not directly over the lounge otherwise you might hear the beat of the music during the night (over a shop or the cafe is ok).

If you are booking a balcony, also try to avoid deck 6 if possible. The balcony is all steel on that deck, so the opening is smaller than on the upper decks. The actually balcony size is the same, but your view will be slightly more restricted.

If you don't have your heart set on visiting beaches or sunning on sea days at the pool, this is a great cruise. The ports are far more interesting than the carribean. You are from NJ so you know the weather can be iffy. It is usually not bathing suit weather and the Explorer does not have a fully covered Solarium (although you may be able to use the whirlpools and there is also an indoor whirlpool in the fitness center).

I've never had a promenade room, but this may be a good time to try it, since the weather and time of year (short days) may give you limited time on the balcony anyway.

We did Canada / New England on the Princess Regal about the same time of year. I would definitely recommend it. We really enjoyed the ports, some of which are the same on your itinerary. Halifax was great to do on your own, and we did a bike ride to the falls as well as walking tour of old town in Quebec. The St Lawrence and Saguenay Rivers were also beautiful with lots of picture opportunities. :D

Archived