Wow.. Oasis of the Seas

I'm not sure what you mean. They said they chose the itinerary SO the ship could dock and they said they had new ways to get passengers on and off.

Why is everyone so against the whole project? Fine if you don't want to go that is fine by me, but do we need to constantly knock the whole thing down with a list of complaints?

I think the Oasis is a wonderfull concept.. so very different from anything else currently sailing. With RCI's experience, I doubt this project has considered and resolved many of the concerns we're reading.

One doesn't spend a billion dollars without the most carefull planning and research.

More like 6300 passengers if 3rd and 4th are filled. WAY too many people for me and for poor St Thomas and St Maarten. Imagine being on another ship when that one pulls in and dumps 6300 people Wow

LMAO, I know right. The cruise passangers will outnumber the residents:p

I am sorry to read so many posts from people who dont like the Oasis...but hey thats your choice and I fully respect that.

To be honest I will say...I am glad to hear some of you dont like her because that will leave cabins for those who cant wait to go on this beautiful amazing fantastic ship :D

Bring it on RCCL ....the Critters are waiting to book their cabins :D :D

gjkubel pretty much said it.

So, say the ship is moving at 18 knots, the fountains are also moving forward at 18 knots. So, assuming there are no other factors acting on the water (like wind), than the water will be launched into the air but also will still be moving forward at 18 knots.

Hope that makes sense. I had to read it two times to understand it and I'm the one who typed it.:D

Oasis just sounds amazing! Even if somebody doesn't like the "neighborhood" idea, it's still a perfect way to help keep crowds low. If you dropped this many people into a conventional design, but just made it larger, it'd be a gigantic mess.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually thought it looked pretty cool. Especially considering that they haven't even announced what the other 4 "Coming Soon" neighberhoods will be.

The aft outdoor ampitheater looked really interesting. As did the view from the double decker loft rooms.

As for not wanting to be on a ship with an embeded mall, I agree with SouthernCaribbean. No one is going to force you to hang out in the indoor public spaces if you don't want to.

Granted, it won't be for everyone. My guess is that any activity or venue that all 5400 passengers try to hit up simultaneously would be a big mess. I'd hate to have to tender ashore fighting that many other people.

Still, you have to give it points for inovation. Plus it looks the least "senior friendly" of any ship out there, which would be a huge plus for me.

Maybe RCCL bit off more than they can chew, but so far, their other large ships have been an absolute hit. I seriously doubt they forgot about life boats, bad weather, or anything else like that. Also, I have never thought the food quality anything but great, so I would expect the same on Oasis. The only concern I would have is that such a large ship might not make it to many ports, and therefore will have more days at sea. I prefer a 7 night cruise to have 4 or 5 ports. But who knows, we'll have to just wait and see.

What lifeboat guffaw? i counted 18 lifeboats on the sides in the drawings and if each carries around 400 (as someone said) - that's enough. And they appear to be a new style lifeboat - covered - not exposed to the elements (and nobody falls over).

I am very excited about it; especially the duplexes, the SCUBA lessons, the zip line, the outdoor restaurants, and more. If they can fix the lifeboat guffaw I'd definitely be interested in checking it out; I am just not sure if I would shell out big bucks if they decide to use it as a hotel and keep it anchored somewhere.

The press releases stated that the loft suites will be located at the highest points on the ship. So it does appear that the loft suites are located on the outer edges and rear edges of the structure that bridges the Boardwalk area, behind (aft of) the Viking Crown Lounge area.

Eric

There'll definately be one or two neighborhoods at the top of the ship. The exterior renderings offer slight glimpses into the areas, but not enough to spoil the suprise.

I imagine a good number of pax wont even leave the ship while in port. If they do, it might just be for a short time.

i hear ya Liz and Im sure you will enjoy it. however please tell me. why would you invest in such a great ship and then sail it to the crappiest ports. Even thou this ship seems to be the destination my theory is.... lets put this in the western/eastern where everyone has been a million times and that way we can make a killing on the ship to pay for this billion dollar bill after we charge them an arm and a leg to get on it.

I have nothing against this ship at all its just the size is not to my liking. why didnt they think to do some of this on the Freedom or the liberty.

I guess we wait until Sept 3 to see what the pricing is.

gosh i really cant wait for the first reviews to come out for the folks that are going. for me no plans are changing just yet for 09/10

So i just saw the pictures and the renderings of the Oasis of the Seas...

I am a little concerned that Royal Caribbean may have bitten off a little more then they can chew...

Dont get me wrong because i am a very loyal Royal Caribbean fan and they are my number one cruise line but it just seems to me that there is too many people on one ship. Did anyone ever think about lifeboats??...after all is said and done with crew your prob looking at aroung 7300+ people...that is so many people....

Another concern is about the center of the ship being so open' date=' its very exposed to weather and the elements, so what's going to happen if it rains or there is a storm...

Also, whats going to happen to the food quality on the ship, its already suffering on the smaller ships....

I am just playing devil's advocate here and I will prob end up going on the Oasis, and maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but does anyone else have these concern.

Just thinking outloud i guess...but what does everyone else think???

[/quote']

Everyone, take a deep breath, RCL has been building wonderful ships, for a good while now! This class looks to have many wonderful advantages, and a few minor issues. Before declairing doom and gloom give it a chance!

Dean

What lifeboat guffaw? i counted 18 lifeboats on the sides in the drawings and if each carries around 400 (as someone said) - that's enough. And they appear to be a new style lifeboat - covered - not exposed to the elements (and nobody falls over).

I was just kidding around. I thought you knew me better than that Ms. Allie. :D

It certainly does have that amazing WOW factor. But I doubt I would sail on it......way too many people for me. I will never say never though. Who knows in the future. That central park neighborhood doesn't entice me, I live in NYC and if I want Central Park I can have the real thing whenever I want. :D Also that Boardwalk doesn't thrill me either, looks like Coney Island, albeit much nicer, but I can go to Coney Island whenever I want as well. :p That part would definitely be a major attraction for families with young kids. That amphitheatre in the aft of the ship does look nice though.

God forbid there's an emergency, how do they get 6300+ pax off a ship in a short amount of time?? :eek:

I am far from being a veteran cruiser, but I have already established my taste as to ship size. I didn't even care for the Conquest size ship, and reguardless of the line I can not see myself ever cruising on a ship this large. I have a young daughter(10) and the only time so far she has complained of being bored was when I made her help pack to depart on her last cruise. I place the blame on her complaining more so on the fact she was put to work than lack of something to do, lol. We are giving the new Splendor a shot in Dec, if it is even close to the experience we had on the Glory I will stick to the Spirit and Fantasy class ships.

Ya' know, that video just reinforces my thought that Royal doesn't provide the kind of experience I'm interested in. What struck me was the emphasis on the interior of the ship. If I counted right I only saw three shots of the exterior of the vessel. Pretty much everything else revolved around the Boardwalk. I don't need a mall on my cruise.

The one feature that I did find impressive was the amphitheater at the aft end of the ship. It invites views of the sea that the rest of the ship seems to avoid.

Just my $.02...

First of all.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more. Why would I want to go on a floating Mall? I can get that here, except maybe the float part. It drips of extra expense, extra expense, extra expense and spend, spend, spend. It was impressed with the loft rooms which I thought were amazing and a great idea but that's about it. The aft amphitheater was also pretty cool but again, the ship in general seemed more like another way to get the customers to spend every little single penny on board. Just my humble opinion.

If you toss a ball in a moving car, and assuming you are a decent toser, it will land exactly where you threw it. LOL. Do you think the people jumping off the diving board are going to get left behind as the ship moves forward and land in the ocean? Don't try jumping on a plane moving 500 MPH, you might end up get thrown to the back of the plane, right? NO! Because you and the plane are both moving 500 MPH, this doesn't happen. Now, what could happen, is that the wind could push the water around, but I'm guessing that area is pretty sheltered given that it is at the back of the ship.

Are you saying there is a concern about developing a "draft aft?" :eek: ;) :p :D

Someone had to say it...

Eric

My guess is that any activity or venue that all 5400 passengers try to hit up simultaneously would be a big mess. I'd hate to have to tender ashore fighting that many other people.

It will always be at an actual dock...no tendering.

Also to the other posters..its an AquaTheater great name!

Pricing for the non suite cabins wont be too bad. If you look at Freedom and Liberty of the seas, its not that expensive. They cant charge that much with so many cabins. I would guess cabin will start at $6-799.

Archived