Summit information anyone

kalzo

So we have been told by our travel agent that the Celebrity Summit is the ship to sail this December out of San Juan. The food is great and supposedly there are not many kids as one would find on Carnival or Princess. But we have been reading many member reviews and the reviews seem to be mixed - seeing a lot of comments about the ship showing its' age, torn carpet, broken windows and kids not under control by the ships' crew. But we have read other reviews where they rave about the ship.

My thought is if the reviews are 50% good and 50% bad I'd stay away altogether. But we will take one more stab at this - anyone have some objective comments to share?

thanks,

kalzo and qj3

carnival senstion 2006

dawn princess 2007

I just returned from the Summit 5/11 Mediterranean sailing. This was my 4th Celebrity cruise but the first on Summit. I had no complaints about the ship. Our cruise was the second sailing after dry dock for a few weeks. We were very impressed with the cleanliness and service. The food, as always, was very good. There weren't any problems with wear and tear or maintenance issues. I would highly recommend the ship. Celebrity is currently undergoing some changes regarding dress codes and Grand Buffet changes. I think both upcoming changes are for the better. They are eliminating informal from the dress code as of August I believe. They have also starting transitioning from the one Midnight Gala Grand Buffet to a one time Gala Brunch. We experienced this on our sailing and thoroughly enjoyed it compared to the midnight ones in the past. If you have any other specific questions or concerns, let me know and I'll be happy to try to answer them. My vote is go ahead and book and I have no idea where those awful reviews stem from because I experienced none of that a few weeks ago.

Summit was in drydock when it arrived in Europe this spring. Reports indicate a lot of work was done - both cosmetic and engineering. I think that Summit is a great ship (Hawii in 12/06, Carib in 2/08 and Europe in about 30 days from now). There are always kids, but the program on Celebrity is really well run - at peak times they add staff to the kids program based on the staff to kid ratio. Since I have three kids that sail with me that is important. In spite of traveling at holiday times, we never felt overrun with kids, and in fact barely saw our own - lol.

I have been on Summit when she was brand spanking new. Yes she is now I think either 8 or 9 years old but not old in relation to any decent run ship.

The only thing that I read about San Juan is that if the ship is not sold out they sell it to the locals for a very low price and it can be a bit of a party animal.

Perhaps X will have learned from Galaxy who used to be there that they won't do this in future.

If you want a BRAND NEW ship then don't go but I am sailing on Summit in August in the Med. Also sailing on Millennium in NOvember to NZ/OZ and she is about 18 months longer in service than Summit.

Make your own mind but if it were me then I would book without reservation.

Sue

So we have been told by our travel agent that the Celebrity Summit is the ship to sail this December out of San Juan. The food is great and supposedly there are not many kids as one would find on Carnival or Princess. But we have been reading many member reviews and the reviews seem to be mixed - seeing a lot of comments about the ship showing its' age, torn carpet, broken windows and kids not under control by the ships' crew. But we have read other reviews where they rave about the ship.

My thought is if the reviews are 50% good and 50% bad I'd stay away altogether. But we will take one more stab at this - anyone have some objective comments to share?

thanks,

kalzo and qj3

carnival senstion 2006

dawn princess 2007

Looking at your signature, I see you have sailed on Carnival and Nowegian. I have sailed both of those as well and enjoy them, however I did see a marked inmprovement on decor, service and food when I sailed on Princess last summer and have heard really excellent things about the Summit, which we will be sailing in a month. Comparing Celebrity to Norwegian or Carnival is not apples to apples if you know what I mean.

Try it! I am sure you will love it as much as the folks who review her here.

We were on the Summit Sept. 07 2 weeks roundtrip San Diego to Hawaii and it was fabulous! The service, food, condition of the ship were all VERY good, you will love it!:cool:

We have been on the Galaxy and looking forward to the Constellation in November!

We too were on the Summit in September '07 to Hawaii with JNCRUISEBUMS, and we absolutely loved it. We had previously sailed on the Constellation, as well as on Princess, NCL, RCL and Carnival, and, by far, Celebrity ships as a whole we feel are much better. The Summit was no worse for the wear than any of the other ships we've sailed, IMO, and the food, staff, decor, entertainment, etc. were excellent.

You definitely can't go wrong sailing the Summit, and hopefully you'll be as fortunate as we were to meet and make some fantastic friends while there.

Terry from Georgia

Archived