Shops and Museums in Juneau

allycin

I'm going to be on a SB cruise which docks in Juneau from 6:30 am to 4:00 pm. It appears that time is very limited here. I have pre-arranged excursions from 9:00-11:45 am and then from 12:15-3:15 pm. As you can see, there isn't any time to visit shops or museums between the excursions or after the excursions.

So................I was wondering, will anything be open and running between 6:30 am and 8:30 am??? I know it's a silly question, but it's a matter of waking up my husband early, making sure he's fed, and dragging him off the boat much earlier than he'd like for a "vacation." I'd hate to do all of this and just window shop because everything is closed.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer. :)

If you are looking for shoppin in Juneau it looks like you are very limited in that town for time but 99% of the stores that have souveniers can also be found in skagway and ketchikan. Save the shopping for those towns. Trust me they have just about the same things in all of those towns. As for museums that is tough because of your excursions. Maybe try to plan another trip to Alaska.;)

Marilyn

I would have to disagree with the previous post...though your trinkets and keychains/tshirts can be found in most ports....a lot of hand made or local artist stuff is limited to certain ports. So if you are looking at souvenirs to bring back to family/friends, you can do get those things elsewhere..if you are looking for a nice item for yourself, different ports will have different pieces

Most shops in Juneau are open by 7, if not 730 on days the ships are in early...which is just about everyday. The museum here might not be open until 8 though.

Its unfortunate that certain itineraries/ships have "short" days in Juneau, as there certainly is plenty to keep you busy all day here.

Thank you both for your replies. I will get my husband up and out for an early start that morning. We'll see what we can in those hours before we need to catch up with our first excursion. I was looking forward to stopping into Horst's Seafood after watching it on Food Finds. After Marilyn's reply, I thought to check the website which said they don't open until 8 am. I was thrilled to read Acemac's reply that at least a few other places WILL be open. So thank you for that glimmer of hope. It would have been really nice to have had more hours in Juneau. Our original itinerary (when we put the deposit down) was a dock time until 6 pm, but they have since truncated that. Thank you again to you both!

Allycin :)

Although you are planning to do some shopping before your excursion, be sure to check the LOCATION of the gathering spot for your tour (it may be inside the ship instead of on the dock if it is ship sponsored) and that could mean checking back onto the ship etc. Also, if a tour is to start at 9:30 they may have you meet at 9:15 or earlier. good luck!

Archived