Booking my cruise

I am going to book a cruise for October 2009, still undecided Canada/New England or Caribbean. Is there a disadvantage to booking with the cruise line directly? I have heard you should always use a travel agent but don't see the need? Can some one explain

We always book directly with the cruiseline. We like doing our own research, and we know exactly what we want, so there's nothing a travel agent can do for us that we cannot do for ourselves. I like having control over my reservation, so I can call RCI directly to change cabins, or to get a credit if the price goes down, etc.

RCI does not allow TA's to discount their rates, so the price is the same. Some people transfer the reservation to an online TA close to final payment date, because those TA's might offer an onboard credit or pre-paid gratuities. But, we've never done this.

I see in your cruise ticker that you are considering Explorer. She is a great ship! You'll have an awesome cruise on her! The kind people here will give you all the advice you need on cabin selection, and everything else you need to know.

Thanks for your input. This will be my fourth cruise and I never used a travel agent before. I was listening to the people who told me I was crazy and took a big chance not using a TA. I also know what I want and will definitely do the cruise October 2009 on the Explorer to Canada/New England.

I will also take your advice and use the boards for ideas.

I have booken on my own for my seven cruises (five completed, two pending). On one cruise I did transfer the reservation to a travel agent prior to final payment because they were offering a perk to the tune of $300.

So long as you are somewhat savy with travel planning there is no need to use a travel agent if you don't want to and you have the advantage of being able to manage the reservation if you book directly with the cruise line (i.e. add excursions online, change your cabin, try to procure price drops). If you use a travel agent, they have to do all of that on your behalf and if you don't have a good travel agent, this can lead to problems (and fees in some case).

We did Canada/New England on the Explorer last year and had a wonderful time! Terrific cruise! You can't go wrong there!!

I'm not sure what people mean when they tell you that you are "taking a big chance" by not using a TA. We did use one on our first cruise because it was kind of overwhelming and we had never been to Alaska. She had a lot of knowledge, but she was a real PITA to deal with also. I never could get her to return my calls. That was the one and only time I used a TA for any of our travels. I think you can find really good TAs and they are very helpful. That wasn't my experience, so I now make all my own travel reservations. I prefer to deal directly with RCI. I don't personally see the need for a middleman. I can understand why others do use a TA, but I am all about the planning and details of our travels. That is half the fun for me!

I say that you are taking a chance on using a TA. Every one that I have used has hosed me in one way or another. I know there are good ones out there, but I have never found any.

I love booking through RCI. Their C&A makes it super simple and they are quick and friendly with all my requests.

Also, you can get cheaper prices through the airlines than through a TA.

BUT!!!

GET TRAVEL INSURANCE!!! The good (kinda spendy) stuff that will bail you out of most any situation.

Years ago, before the internet, I always used a travel agent to book my cruises. However, in recent years, I've done it directly with RCI and have always, without exception, had an excellent experience. Whenever I've had a question, problem, requested a credit after a price drop, wanted to change my cabin, they were always there to help, and with a terrific attitude. I think going through a third party travel agent is nothing but a headache. Sorry, I don't mean to offend any of the TA's out there....I'm sure YOU are all terrific...:D

Karen

Archived