My trip to the Baths

jnmrlk

Were were on NCL Spirit and arrived at Tortola as scheduled at 8am - we got off the ship and there was a gentleman in a "uniform" that was directing people depending on where they wanted to go or hollering out to taxis and telling them where to take people, this I thought was a nice touch.

As we were going to do the trip to the Baths ourselves we approached him, he told us we could walk to the ferries but I opted for a taxi ($3 a person). When we got to the ferry terminal I had to chuckle to myself because it really was so very close to where our ship docked - we could have easily walked :rolleyes:

As soon as we got to the ferry terminal we were met by a man in an orange Speedy's shirt and we were directed where to get our tickets for the 9am ferry. Piece of cake - 5 of us - $140 round trip.

We are waiting for the ferry and here comes the ship excursion - they take the same ferry over!

Once we arrive Speedy's taxi takes us to the Baths, we purchase tickets and follow the signs to the beach. Once you arrive at the Beach we see the entrance to the caves on the left and vendors and beach to the right.

We make it thru the caves relatively easily, if you are a hiker at all it is very easy to spot the "trail" and there are wooden stairs at certain points.

We are at Devil's Bay for quite a while before the excursion comes. We really enjoyed the time at the beach with only 3 other people there, it did become crowded once the excursion comes.

Leaving Devil's Beach we took a path back to the parking lot because there were still people in the Baths and there is not allot of room if people are comng and going in different directions. The path back to the parking lot was long but easy to take so be prepared if you take that route.

Our taxi (really more like a bus) was there to take us back and we had time to grab a soda and enjoy the scenery before we had to leave. As we waited other buses pulled up to take the excursion back to the ferry (yep, they took the same ferry back as us!!).

At the terminal the ferry was late, no one seemed to care - guess it's that island life - just chill baby!!! Boy, I wished I could live there FOREVER!!!

We got back to Tortola about 3 hours before the ship was due to leave. We walked back to the ship, dawdled along buyng souverniers.

Would I do the trip again vs the excursion - yes and no - the NO being that you do worry about not getting back on time, once I new the excursion was taking the same ferry back I was allot more relaxed as the ship had to wait for them - so at least if the ferry broke down etc. - we were all in the same boat (ha ha ha). The YES being, I believe the ship did drive around the island before it came to the Baths - I didn't want to sight see - they also got very little time there compared to us - I think we got almost an extra hour at the Baths.

If I chose to go to the Baths again I would stay on the first beach, climbing thru the rocks was okay, but I would have preferred the water/beach time and to honest Devil's Bay was nice but fairly small.

Another point I would take into consideraton is that if there is more than one ship at port it must be VERY crowded, we were lucky to be the only ones there and it was fairly packed. I think you can check how many ships are in port by going to cruisecal.com

Just as a side note I did not see Smith's Ferry's in operation at all ???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You are correct ... there is a restaurant and several nice shops at the top. Also, most people don't see this but, by the side of the path, near the entrance to the restaurant pool area, there is a little freshwater pool where you can rinse the sand off of your feet. A small, but delightful, pleasure!

This is so good to know! I just read on another thread about the baths and taking Speedy's over on your own and am now pretty sure this is what we will do,too! We're sailing next fall and will be docked inTortola from 7-3:30 which should give us plenty of time at the baths and to check out the nearby areas. Thank you for sharing your experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived